Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default go granny....

Quote:
An elderly woman has scared off thieves who were trying to smash their way into a jewelry store by beating them with her handbag.

A gang of six men, carrying sledgehammers and riding motor scooters, were attempting to carry out the robbery in Northampton yesterday morning when they were interrupted by the pensioner.

The scene was captured on video by a witness and clearly shows three men dismounting the scooters and smashing the windows of Michael Jones Jewelers.

They can be seen filling their bags with stolen goods in broad daylight as members of the public walked on by.

The elderly woman can then be seen running into the midst of the robbery, swinging her handbag and landing a blow on the face of one of the thieves.

The men, who towered over the lady, fled the scene immediately just as as staff inside the store managed to activate security shutters.

Witnesses then went to the lady's aid, managing to stop one of the robbers from escaping.

Four men aged 18, 22, 25 and 39 were later arrested and police are still looking for two other men.

Northampton police said the woman would be rewarded for her bravery. Her name will not be released publicly to avoid putting her in any potential danger.
For those who missed the video footage...
watch her start swinging here : http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/820...-store-thieves

Whats sad is that an elderly woman in her 70s thwarted a robbery, while everyone else stood about....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Saw that on the news before. Pretty bloody stupid of her if you ask me.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Saw that on the news before. Pretty bloody stupid of her if you ask me.
Get over yourself, at least she had a go while others watched on.

Go Nana
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
chrisfpv

So if these guys turned on her and beat her senseless, it'd be alright because she "had a go"?

Don't get me wrong the outcome was good, but she obviously has no common sense to approach six guys with sledgehammers who are smashing windows and robbing the place.
I'm not giving the thumbs up to the people who were just walking by, but there is no need to be a hero in situations like this.

Call the police, record as much info about the people taking out the robbery as possible and give it to the police I say.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
So if these guys turned on her and beat her senseless, it'd be alright because she "had a go"?

Don't get me wrong the outcome was good, but she obviously has no common sense to approach six guys with sledgehammers who are smashing windows and robbing the place.
I'm not giving the thumbs up to the people who were just walking by, but there is no need to be a hero in situations like this.

Call the police, record as much info about the people taking out the robbery as possible and give it to the police I say.
Granted she was lucky these fools were crims with at least a little bit of moral fibre in that they didn't belt her with the sledgehammer.

The white van nearly cleaned a couple of them up, that would have been even funnier.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
chrisfpv

Plus granted that they looked to be the pussy type of criminals as they basically fled once she started swinging that handbag around.

Last edited by chrisfpv; 08-02-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Mansal

Not unless she was SUPERGRAN!
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I read this today and all I could think of as I did, was that old rice commercial....RICE POWER GRANNY!!

Brave lady...Very brave lady indeed.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Plus granted that they looked to be the pussy type of criminals as they basically fled once she started swinging that handbag around.
I'de imagine they would have ben the pussy type of criminal, i mean, who arrives on a scooter?! A motorbike sure, but a scooter? probably not career criminals...
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Probably will be Mundines next opponent
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR

The sad thing is she's probably got more common sense than most people I encounter on a day to day basis.

Plus, she was probably thinking that she's had a good innings, she may as well go out with a bang.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I'de imagine they would have ben the pussy type of criminal, i mean, who arrives on a scooter?! A motorbike sure, but a scooter? probably not career criminals...
Scooter is automatic, motorbike is manual. Must have been afraid of stalling or they cant actually work out manual? One of them stacked it anyway so whatever they tried to gain still failed.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A big thumbs down for all the people that just stood around watching
(especially gutless **** filming it) .
once granny has a go the ol "pack mob" mentality seems to kick in.
Morons..
Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
69XWGT

Good on her.

We need more people like her in the world
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hopefully before leaving us she can inspire others and impart her knowledge of how to stand up for ones' self and not be a pussy in life.
Others should have gone in to defend the 70 year old from these so called men.

As for the nancy boys that did this, you can tweet from your cells. #Im so :-(

Quote: