Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Changing AU auto transmission fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
I'm assuming your car has a dipstick. not standard on the AU but some do have them fitted if the transmission has been out. the reason the got rid of the dipstick is people were overfilling causing problems. it is hard to overfill if there is no dipstick as it just runs out the hole.
and people were also putting the wrong oil them, which also can cause problems.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #62
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
and people were also putting the wrong oil them, which also can cause problems.
EXACTLY, mik, spot on mate

Any time one buys a new car, it always pays just to do a full service of everything [yourself] then YOU as the new owner, knows the job has been done right, from the start
Which is what I personally, am working on doing

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #63
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by transolutions View Post
No worries mate hope it all works out
G'day,how's Sydney?You sound as if you know BTR boxes.Is the Speed Transducer another common leaking point on AU's or is the fluid likely to be coming from the exten housing gasket on my ser 3 wag;162k.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #64
transolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
G'day,how's Sydney?You sound as if you know BTR boxes.Is the Speed Transducer another common leaking point on AU's or is the fluid likely to be coming from the exten housing gasket on my ser 3 wag;162k.
Mate it is a lot more common coming from the speed sensor when the o rings goes old and hard but have seen the extension housing leaking to its hard to say not looking at the car but it is easy to pull the speed sensor out and change the o ring that would be the first thing I would do if your not sure were it is leaking from and you are working on it yourself
transolutions is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #65
TRAU BLAU

Thumbs up Re: Changing AU auto transmission fluid

Quote:
Mate it is a lot more common coming from the speed sensor when the o rings goes old and hard but have seen the extension housing leaking to its hard to say not looking at the car but it is easy to pull the speed sensor out and change the o ring that would be the first thing I would do if your not sure were it is leaking from and you are working on it yourself
Thanks mate,will change the o-ring this w/e.I also read from old blogs[2009etc]that fluid could also come out of the breather which is also on top of the housing.It all being so hard to acess without the bright lights & hoist doesn't help but I s'pose life wasn't made to be easy.
Old 21-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #66
transolutions

Quote:
Thanks mate,will change the o-ring this w/e.I also read from old blogs[2009etc]that fluid could also come out of the breather which is also on top of the housing.It all being so hard to acess without the bright lights & hoist doesn't help but I s'pose life wasn't made to be easy.
Yer start with that oring you can get bright torches these days oil really shouldnt come out of the breather unless you over full or getting really hot good luck
transolutions is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #67
TRAU BLAU

Wink Re: Changing AU auto transmission fluid

Quote:
Yer start with that oring you can get bright torches these days oil really shouldnt come out of the breather unless you over full or getting really hot good luck
G'day Sydney,Yeah I changed the o-ring on the speed transducer but the leak is still there.From what I can see it looks as if it's the extension-housing gasket which has splined-bolt heads[not sore of correct term]so I s'pose it'll have to be a pay workshop job & expensive.That, or just change the fluid & forget about the leak.Any advice appreciated.
Old 24-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #68
peterljohnson55

You might want to think about the following as well, while you are under there...
- rear main engine seal
- rear welch plug
- rebush oil pump, m/c cover, fit seal

If the trans is out you should get a full reconditioning ... (new?) torque converter, clutches, bearings, bushes, because you don't want to have to go back there - just removing and replacing is many hours, and costly if commercially done.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #69
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
You might want to think about the following as well, while you are under there...
- rear main engine seal
- rear welch plug
- rebush oil pump, m/c cover, fit seal

If the trans is out you should get a full reconditioning ... (new?) torque converter, clutches, bearings, bushes, because you don't want to have to go back there - just removing and replacing is many hours, and costly if commercially done.
Thanks for reply but what you're talking about is thousands of dollars worth mate.Yes I agree the rear extension seal should be replaced but where's the welch plug?I mean the BTR 93 is working ok it's just a persistent leak coming down from the top of the extension housing.I'll see what the experts want to charge.No the trans is not out;I drive it every day.
Old 25-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #70
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Thanks for reply but what you're talking about is thousands of dollars worth mate.Yes I agree the rear extension seal should be replaced but where's the welch plug?I mean the BTR 93 is working ok it's just a persistent leak coming down from the top of the extension housing.I'll see what the experts want to charge.No the trans is not out;I drive it every day.
Its probably the actual speed transducer. These can leak - you can pick up one from Ford for about $80. I think they are cheaper online.

You can also get an extension housing service kit that contains the bush, rear seal and gasket. Can't remember if the bolts are 12point or spline drive, but either way, the socket is going be the cheapest thing you will buy. You will however need a press to get the bush out and obviously the spacers needed to press the bush out - if in fact it is leaking from the rear seal. Worst case scenario, take the extension housing off and take it to a transmission shop and see if they will change the bush over for you.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #71
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quick followup to my issue guys

Spent $250.00 having FLUSH etc done on my box, but found metal and other crap in the box, so it's beyond it's used by date sadly

NOW have a 5 speed ready to go, just picked up the Pedal Box and now just need the ring gear and cable, then should be set to go

I appreciate ALL the previous help and advice, but I've now chosen to convert to 5 speed manual and get the most of the performance from the XR6 that I can

I know that this isn't the thread for it, but IF anyone has any info/ cables / ring gear to achieve the conversion, then please inbox me.

Cheers,
Dave

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: