Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Rexy74

Question AU Fairmont

My missus is in the process of buying a 1998 AU Fairmont with 85,000kms since new on it for $11,990

Can anyone out there tell me what faults to look for and what inspections i should look for before purchasing the vehicle? And any common faults that may occur? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Rexy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a peruse through here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=646 :Up_to_som
Old 09-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Seems a bit expensive. i would love to say they are worth more BUT...
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

ill keep my opinon on price to myself an so forth , but answering th equestion you asked , maybe check to see if the 2 recalls from Ford for the AU have been done to the car , apart from that , maybe check oil colour - make sure its clean , check the service history, have a good look under the car make sure there is no underneath damage , check all panels for previous damages/crashes/repairs - tap lightly with a finger nail all over the panels , bog will have a dull sound when tapping , use a fridge magnet if u have to to check for bog , the magnet wont stick if there is a lump of bog under the panel from a repair , drive the car and check to see if it pulls to 1 side.
Basically a very clean looking interior will allways give you a rough indication of how a car was looked after , for alot of people the interor comes second - the engine first , so if the interior is in excellent condiotion too then good chance the car has been well looked afterr , but still check the above .. ;) .. gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
miitch
orgasmic.

And check the damn screen on the climate/trip computer. =\

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
xd5.8l
Banned

Flimsy single piston front callipers and shallow bumpers with small wheels isn't a great fashion statement
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.
And check the damn screen on the climate/trip computer. =\
lmao ...yeah i forgot that 1 ! , they have a bad habit of biting the dust......
just something i heard years ago when they first come out and people were putting them on gas , i heard that alot of the digital km readouts were dropping lines in the lcd display that makes the numbers , also doing the above to the climate/trip readout too .. i heard it was from the gas solenoid ( for switching from gas to petrol and vise versa ) surging back into the mains and frying stuff. I dont know if this was true , but i also fried my ignotion years ago in my XE from the extra larger spark required for the straight gas setup to run the gas system to its optimum. Just makes me wonder if it was true because i was told it by an auto electician, and since then ( years ago ) i have seen heaps later falcons etc on gas with these problems ???????? ... i dunno ??

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Seems a bit expensive. i would love to say they are worth more BUT...
I know what your saying but have had a look at the AU fairmonts under $10,000. Most have much higher milage & are rough as most were company cars that did not recieve proper care & servicing & there is queit a lot out there as well so that price is reasonable for a good clean low milage AU Fairmont.

As others have said the LCD sreens fade out but can be fixed cheap enough average brakes & the radiators crack on the top on the passenager side. Plus the O ring in the water pump can leak.
Other wise their a good reliable car
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I know what your saying but have had a look at the AU fairmonts under $10,000. Most have much higher milage & are rough as most were company cars that did not recieve proper care & servicing & there is queit a lot out there as well so that price is reasonable for a good clean low milage AU Fairmont.

As others have said the LCD sreens fade out but can be fixed cheap enough average brakes & the radiators crack on the top on the passenager side. Plus the O ring in the water pump can leak.
Other wise their a good reliable car
yes look not trying to be smart you know I do own one and the mileage is low but it is an AUI and you could defintely get one cheaper as you say in what condition is the question and always buy S/H cars on condition as thats all that matters after you have bought it if it to keep not to resell of course
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post