Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Default All AU diifs the same?

My dads AU XR6 VCT's diff makes weird clunking noises, and as I am buying it off him soon I am a little worried as to why and if it will need a rebuild. There is an AU 3.45 LSD for sale in the trading post but I am wondering if all the AU LSD's are interchangable given that the VCT has IRS. Any info on the noises, or the interchangability would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

My diff makes a weird clunking noise too. I think it's the cones when the steering wheel is slightly turned either way travelling at low speeds. I wouldn't be too concerned if that's all it is. Maybe changning the diff fluid might help this. That's what I plan on doing. Then eventually I plan on getting a 3.91:1 ratio and have the diff overhauled while I'm at it.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Yeh it tends to be at low speeds and when doing turns and stuff. I hope thats what it is as I don't want to have to rebuild it, what sort of oil is recommended for them?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Stampy

OK With the LSD this happens when it's glazed there is an additive to fix it and it works 100% perfect

There is nothink wrong with the diff based on what you have written,so don't worrie about a rebuild, get the additive , there is another way to fix it but I personally have had no long term luck and what you do is drive in say a carpark or large area doing FIG 8 do not break traction just keep it on the brink of traction loss ,this will also deglaze it

Alan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine used to do that. I changed the oil with Penrite SynGear 80/140 and it is now like new.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Thanks guys, I'll grab some decent oil, also stampy what is the name of the additive I need?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a quick question, would a 99 AU Forte have LSD?

Cos I can throw my AU around a corner going left and slide the backend out with what appears to be both rear wheels spinning.. which I couldnt do in my Commodore, which was a single spinner.. I when I took off from the lights rather quickly last night.. the entire back end seemed to drift from left to right.. and just before that I gave the accellerater a tap with my left foot on the brake and it went into a line-locker, however the whole rear started to drift to the left and right.

Whats the chances?
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
sbcb
BA Xr8

Yep had two AU XR8's, both did the clunk thing. Second time round though the main clunk culprit was the all to common rear shock mounts. These also cause a rear end clunk. As far as the diffs go though the diff cones bind up and require you to use the wear in procedure after the additive has gone in. This is wheelspinning one wheel faster than the other, tight circles while acclerating cause the inside wheel to lift, or park one half of the car on tarmac the other on grass and wheelspin (essentially this is just using the LSD diff). Repeat the other side. This advice was straight from a ford service manager - and it worked. My AU1 XR8 made the aweful diff clunk, added additive, clunk gone (after beading it in with a couple of wheelies). Returned approx 16000km later - another couple of wheelies - clunk gone.
We aren't talking tyre frying here, the pulled over grass verge idea is the most reserved way of doing it. Good luck.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Stampy

Sorry I can't remember the name of the additive but when I got the Gearbox serviced (not at ford) they added it for me after i told them what the problem was ,My XR8 is just starting to do it now.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
FRIKA
FRIKA

Mines getting worse too. will have to change diff oil and add the additives and see how it goes
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
XR6Stu

Mine used to do it, Ford added an additive (what are the odds!) and its been fine ever since!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my fairlane seems to clunk when i press th accelerator a lil then back off again (while doing any speed)

and also it seems to make like a groan somtimes as it slides into 4th..
and when i accelerate HARD and back off at 60..(so right near redline) the car bangs into a differnet gear (from 1st to some other gear).. and goes CLUNK... i think it is a gearbox service in the making??
any ideas

thanks guys
Old 06-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #13
F6man
force fed

When doing U turns thats call LSD chatter, A diff service will 9 times out of 10 fix that. As has been stated use the right oil + the additive..
The other is call driveline backlash, It is caused when there is too much slack in the crown wheel & pinion gear. It will do it when getting on then off the throttle job forpro's im afraid, but no big deal a diff place will do the job without a worry.
F6man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The addative nickname is Stink. Go and ask a tranie or Diff service place for a little bottle of stink, put that in through thye inpection bolt hole - bob's yer uncle - had it done to mine .The ****er mechanic told me he tightend up my diff, but when I complained about this noise, he said yeah by tightened I mean I didn't put in the LSD lubricant.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Thanks guys, I think I have all the info I need and I will let you know of the results.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
eXi7w0unD

i can never hear a clunk or the engine when im drive, i havent heard anything about the engine for so long, turn the car on and all i hear is heavy metal :P
eXi7w0unD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #17
antilooped

i hear them all the time, but mines a manual, and mine all depends on how the car is driven, if i drive sloppy, she clunks, but doing things properly she is great... must be a common thing... god ford diffs have been poor since day one (except 9" of course), all of my fords have had ИИИИty diffs. Also another thing, assuming u have auto - if you sit it in park and move it to drive then reverse, does it clunk? if so get under the car and see if the drive shaft is slipping as it enters the diff center, ull need a mate to help you shift the gears...
Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah some might be a little loose, but how often do you hear of them actually failing, very rare i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
yeah some might be a little loose, but how often do you hear of them actually failing, very rare i think.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :

If your refering to the Ford difffs, You are kidding right?

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :

If your refering to the Ford difffs, You are kidding right?
are you saying they fail completley often????
Old 09-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Often. Thats another word for now and again isn't it?

From my own experience's, words of Diff mechanics, Ford Mech's, and other Falcon owners and friends, it's a surprise that the diffs aren't as easy to take off as the wheels. lol - Mines come out more times then I have removed the front wheels!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #22
sbcb
BA Xr8

Are these failing diffs or people trying to fix the clunky noises?
Plenty of people get replacements because of the clunks. I think if you had a falcon WITHOUT driveline shunt or some sort of driveline clunk THEN i would be worried. That would be abnormal for the cars, something has definitely been left out or broken on your falcon if it doesn't clunk. lol.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #23
XR6Stu

Other than the diff clunk, Ive never had any problems with my diff, and I spend a fair bit of time shredding tires for amusement. I dont reckon the Ford diff's are that bad... Having said that, I smashed the diff centre in my RS in a big way a few weeks ago.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #24
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
Are these failing diffs or people trying to fix the clunky noises?
Plenty of people get replacements because of the clunks. I think if you had a falcon WITHOUT driveline shunt or some sort of driveline clunk THEN i would be worried. That would be abnormal for the cars, something has definitely been left out or broken on your falcon if it doesn't clunk. lol.
Yes on a bad day the Falcon driveline is more agricultural than a John Deere tractor.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #25
quest

Here (Canada) in North America we have been using a friction modifier for years with traction lock rear axles to get rid of a "shudder" or "binding" when turning corners
I dont know what size axles are used there but the most popular here is the 8.8 integral & is used in pickup trucks ,Mustangs & Explorers in both solid & independent configurations
The part # we have is

Additive Friction Modifier—C8AZ-19B546-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification
EST-M2C118-A

And yes it stinks like nothing you have ever smelled before!

And yes, thats me with the GT

Last edited by quest; 09-03-2006 at 01:51 PM.
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #26
mattsAU1

Just while we r on the subject of lockers, how does a standard AU1 single spinner with the 345 ratio go with a locker in it?
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #27
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
Here (Canada) in North America we have been using a friction modifier for years with traction lock rear axles to get rid of a "shudder" or "binding" when turning corners
I dont know what size axles are used there but the most popular here is the 8.8 integral & is used in pickup trucks ,Mustangs & Explorers in both solid & independent configurations
The part # we have is

Additive Friction Modifier—C8AZ-19B546-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification
EST-M2C118-A

And yes it stinks like nothing you have ever smelled before!

And yes, thats me with the GT
Thanks for the heads up quest, and welcome aboard, is the GT yours?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #28
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Hey hey - Get to see some ppl on the north side taking an interest down here... ehh!

Just a question, have you actually been here in Australia to enjoy our car market that we have here?

Old 10-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #29
quest

I wish it was!
I was sent to Detroit by the dealer for SVT training & got to drive all the SVT's & a bunch of concept cars at the proving grounds.
They wouldn't let us go nuts with the GT but everything else was fair game
They also had 2 class 4 drivers there to show us how to take a car to its limits. I have to tell you that there's nothing more fun than someone teaching you how to burn the rubber off someone else's SVT.!
There was about 25 guys there and the tires on the 4 Mustang Cobra's had to be replaced about every 15-20 laps
The SVT Focus handles the best of all and seems like its glued to the track
I still have a bunch of pictures from that trip

No I've never been to Australia but am thinking of going
Years ago I had a 73 Mustang Mach1 that I used to Drag race
Last year I went to a big Ford day Drags in Columbus Ohio USA & a guy there had what looked like an XA Falcon.....I fell in love...must be the hood.
I've been doing some internet surfing to find an XA to bring here & if the right deal comes along I may just head down to have a look around
Its been -10c for about 2 weeks now so thats also a big factor in getting out of here too
Whats the beer like there? Better that that American pond water I hope

PS: I have access to almost all publications here so if you guys need anything.....and I hope your patient because I have a million questions about your vehicles

Last edited by quest; 10-03-2006 at 02:23 PM.
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

plenty of good beers here for you to sample quest ,welcome to the forums