Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
bungfritz
Starter Motor

Default How to adjust MD Mondeo Titanium LED Headlights

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone in this forum would know how we'd go about adjusting the headlight beam height on an MD Mondeo Titanium?

When I complained to the dealer that the headlights were aimed too low, they went and adjusted the beam height, however went too far and how the lights are almost pointing toward the sky.

Kinda annoying as now the days are getting shorter and with the lights on I know everyone thinks that I have my high beams on when I don't and it takes too much effort to go to the dealer again.

Tried looking on Google and scouring the forums, however haven't found anywhere which lets us know how we go about doing it. I did notice that on the edge of the light cluster inside the engine bay that there is a hex shaped turn dial which I think might be the beam height adjuster, however haven't tried to test to see if it did anything.
bungfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: How to adjust MD Mondeo Titanium LED Headlights

Not being a mondeo and also not being an expert in the field, I'll take a punt and say you're correct with identifying the adjuster. If it's like the old mans jag it's a torx fitting. Park it up to a solid surface like a closed garage door and adjust it to suit. It may take 2 or 3 goes to get it right, but it will serve you better.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Not easy at all. The aiming of these LED lamps is 'dynamic' and is adjusted by the Headlamp Control Module based on vehicle load, speed, acceleration and braking data.

There is a degree of static adjustment available through the torx screw you found - there are actually two of them. One does vertical axis and the other does horizontal. You really need to be a bit scientific about it as the diagram below shows how they should be aimed using an aiming screen (you'll find most wheel alignment places have one).

Cheers
Russ

Cheers
Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MD Headlamp Aim.JPG (25.1 KB, 62 views)

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
bundybear75

On the MC Mondeo the adjusters are the Allen key sockets (one vertical one horizontal). I would imagine that on the MD it sets a baseline for the dynamic lights to move from.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Not easy at all. The aiming of these LED lamps is 'dynamic' and is adjusted by the Headlamp Control Module based on vehicle load, speed, acceleration and braking data.

There is a degree of static adjustment available through the torx screw you found - there are actually two of them. One does vertical axis and the other does horizontal. You really need to be a bit scientific about it as the diagram below shows how they should be aimed using an aiming screen (you'll find most wheel alignment places have one).

Cheers
Russ

Cheers
Russ
I did that with mine also, as they were a little low from the factory...
Old 23-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
emmax
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Cheers
Russ

Cheers
Russ
Hi, Does anyone have a photo of the torque screws you are referring to?
emmax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
emmax
Starter Motor

Hi, Does anyone have a photo of the location of the torque screws?
emmax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Horizontal

MD Mondeo Headlight Adjustment Horizontal.JPG

Vertical

MD Mondeo Headlight Adjustment Vertical.JPG
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

Go here:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11478063

for how I got it done - I didn't need to alter the horizontal aiming point, just the vertical.

The last three posts in the thread.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Hi all,

Go here:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11478063

for how I got it done - I didn't need to alter the horizontal aiming point, just the vertical.

The last three posts in the thread.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Do you reckon you can post a picture of your beam spread now that you've had them adjusted?

Thank you.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Do you reckon you can post a picture of your beam spread now that you've had them adjusted?

Thank you.
Hi, apologies for the delay. Festive season and all of that.

I didn't alter the horizontal spread of the lights from "as delivered" I did adjust the vertical aiming point to get better reach on low beam, with the results I've indicated. And like others asking the dealer to do the job simply got me a result that was good for treed possum hunting on the right hand side of the road.

On a four lane divided highway low beam now gives about 60 m of reach with the left beam reaching slightly further than the right and both sides of the pavement being well lit. On high beam the reach is more than 400m but doesn't seem to be until something standing vertically comes into view.

I'll see what I can do about some photographs - if you want them whilst mobile - that might take a bit of time to arrange.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: