Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Peninsula Link opening

Good news for all down here mon- fri, bad news sat when you get to the end at a roundabout....chaos in Rosebud me thinks.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Default Re: Peninsula Link opening

Why will the roundabout be worse, won't traffic just get there faster rather than there being more traffic?

Good news to see a missing link filled in. Now, just the Greensborough-Ringwood link needed (and a new Yarra crossing, the outer ring road, completion of the Dingley freeway etc etc etc).
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately on a hot weekend all the vehicles will arrive 'unfiltered' by lights or roundabouts and will inevitably bank back up the Arthur's Seat section of the freeway it's inevitable and mornpen shire know all about it I'll bet.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 17-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Now, just the Greensborough-Ringwood link needed (and a new Yarra crossing, the outer ring road, completion of the Dingley freeway etc etc etc).
Hang on, first things first, how about making the Calder "Freeway" between Keilor and Calder Park an actual 100kph freeway first?

edit: This probably should be in The Bar.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree as much as I shall benefit from 'our' extension the real rationale for motorways is for the efficient transportation of goods and services. The money should have been spent on linking the ring road or the eastern/tulla but Frankston is a 'swing' seat.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I agree as much as I shall benefit from 'our' extension the real rationale for motorways is for the efficient transportation of goods and services. The money should have been spent on linking the ring road or the eastern/tulla but Frankston is a 'swing' seat.
I'm in Geelong and we've had nearly $1b spent on our ring road and duplication out to Winchelsea.

Long live the marginal seat
Old 18-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

I drove through at about 2am this morning and there was still road surfacing going on. I wonder who decided the opening date, the government or the people building it??
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hot night, couldnt sleep went for THAT drive 2am and was told by workers not open till 4ish. Slept well.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 18-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems the merge at the N end caused such a bank up makes you wonder whether it was worth it!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 18-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Hang on, first things first, how about making the Calder "Freeway" between Keilor and Calder Park an actual 100kph freeway first?

i am hearing you............whats the excuse now.

is the Peninsula Link Tolled?
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Peninsula Link opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post

Nah, it's a safe seat!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 18-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Peninsula Link opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
i am hearing you............whats the excuse now.

is the Peninsula Link Tolled?
No, it's an extension of the Frankston freeway.
But their attempt to merge to 'motorways' has ended up a complete shambles it seem for southbound traffic. The designers should be named n shamed, however they HAVE managed their own 'filtering' system which just might ameliorate the chaos at the southern end.
It will be great for retirees on the road 10-3 mon- fri on normal working weeks.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 18-01-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 18-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Lawwa
Starter Motor

I think that my other half tested it out earlier so I shall canvass his opinion when he gets home.
The Rosebud end is going to be interesting I think as it already gets very backed up at the weekends during Summer. Thankfully, I am almost always coming at that intersection from the right of the queue so they have to yield to me - never get stuck there long LOL

"Passes everything but petrol stations!!"
Lawwa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Partner trialed it around 4pm sth bound with no net saving as 2 motorways totalling 4 lanes had to merge with some on the right having to cross over to left lane if wanting to exit! The bank up went back to Thompsons road on the eastern tollway section, maybe just teething problems but weekend day trippers will get a shock.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe now this freeway is done they can concentrate on some other projects, I would love to see the railways go fully underground, I reckon the railway crossings in melbourne cause a hell of a lot of bottle necks , 170 of the bloody things, I live between two lines, crossing them in either direction at peak times is an exercise in frustration and excessive fuel use.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree Mik, when there is an economic downturn, its time to fix up the infrastructure problems and put out the contracts.
I'd hate to be in your position twixt two railway crossings.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Maybe now this freeway is done they can concentrate on some other projects, I would love to see the railways go fully underground, I reckon the railway crossings in melbourne cause a hell of a lot of bottle necks , 170 of the bloody things, I live between two lines, crossing them in either direction at peak times is an exercise in frustration and excessive fuel use.
I know of three level crossings that will be grade separated in the near future.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits View Post
I know of three level crossings that will be grade separated in the near future.
Well are they in marginal seats?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used it Friday morning to travel from home base in Highett to Mornington. As expected, its a nice piece of road, my trip made better by the fact that I was heading 'against' the traffic as such. Smooth road surface. Clear signage. On the way home though at around 4:30pm heading back toward Melbourne, the outbound side was already at walking pace nearing the Mornington exit back to around the Golf Links Rd exit.

By the way, has anybody noticed the slimline sneaky cameras perched underneath several of the overpass bridges? You've got to look hard to see them. You've been warned.

By the way, coming from the bayside areas, there wasn't any time saving as compared to the 'old' way of taking Nepean Highway through Frankston. Peninsula Link actually swings a fair way inland before heading back toward the bay as you get past Mornington, so the distance is further but the average speed obviously quicker. If you're commuting to the Peninsula to or from the Eastern suburbs or connecting via Eastlink, then it would be a no-brainer......should be significantly quicker.

Oh yes, 110kph limit would have been much better too, but this is Victoria after all.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

used it last night to go to MT Martha from Langwarrin probaly saved 15 minutes either way.

The roundabout at Rosebud has been there for a long time now.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For some it must have been the last day of their hols cos it was a disaster Sun late afternoon taking 40 mins longer than usual just getting to the tollway, and that was always the slow section before this link was opened!!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 21-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

the first couple of days at the entry at langwarrin were a little hectic also, but it seems to have settled down now,
have noticed a few skid marks and broken glass on the road because some drivers do not realise there are several sets of lights close together and almost drive through the first set resulting in accidents, actually saw a girl lock up at the last minute on friday night and skidded sideways just missing the car in the other lane.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
EFFalcon
Last warning

Yeah i went to karingal on Saturday, the sets of lights there are horrible, traffic turning out of the hub pulling out to a red light, making things a bit messy.

too many lights too close to each other.

the merge @ the frankston freeway needs some work.

I live in carrum downs and work in Mt Eliza, so i don't use it for work, but its taken a significant amount of traffic off the roads i take to work.

the south bound merge off of eastlink/peninsula link reminds me of the old citylink bolte bridge merge with cars darting across lanes to either merge, or attempt to get to the exit.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They now have warning signs re Jetty rd Rosebud applicable to Fri night and all day Sat. at the 3 exits prior, and for info if you want to come/go via east link you will have to form a SINGLE lane to access the link s bound and the tollway n bound.....oh happy days :-/ .
But for 90% of the total week it will be fine and I guess that's the justification for the apparent design inadequacies.....w.e. day trippers be warned...

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
They now have warning signs re Jetty rd Rosebud applicable to Fri night and all day Sat. at the 3 exits prior, and for info if you want to come/go via east link you will have to form a SINGLE lane to access the link s bound and the tollway n bound.....oh happy days :-/ .
But for 90% of the total week it will be fine and I guess that's the justification for the apparent design inadequacies.....w.e. day trippers be warned...
Single lane!!!! Damned fools.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman
No, it's an extension of the Frankston freeway.
But their attempt to merge to 'motorways' has ended up a complete shambles it seem for southbound traffic. The designers should be named n shamed, however they HAVE managed their own 'filtering' system which just might ameliorate the chaos at the southern end.
It will be great for retirees on the road 10-3 mon- fri on normal working weeks.
Agreed, where the link meets Frankston freeway is shocking, especially if you are heading to Frankston. It doen't seem like any thought went into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman
Partner trialed it around 4pm sth bound with no net saving as 2 motorways totalling 4 lanes had to merge with some on the right having to cross over to left lane if wanting to exit! The bank up went back to Thompsons road on the eastern tollway section, maybe just teething problems but weekend day trippers will get a shock.
There are bank ups on side roads too, Seaford rd comes to a stop as people want to check the traffic on the Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Yeah i went to karingal on Saturday, the sets of lights there are horrible, traffic turning out of the hub pulling out to a red light, making things a bit messy.

too many lights too close to each other.

the merge @ the frankston freeway needs some work.

I live in carrum downs and work in Mt Eliza, so i don't use it for work, but its taken a significant amount of traffic off the roads i take to work.

the south bound merge off of eastlink/peninsula link reminds me of the old citylink bolte bridge merge with cars darting across lanes to either merge, or attempt to get to the exit.
I was there on Sunday, same deal, you ext and stop.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face Re: Peninsula Link opening

It's on google maps now
Come on TomTom !

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 24-01-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: GPS
Old 24-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #28
EFFalcon
Last warning

every day coming home from work i go over the ballarto road bridge and have a giggle at the slow moving traffic.
Old 24-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
every day coming home from work i go over the ballarto road bridge and have a giggle at the slow moving traffic.
Sadist

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 24-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #30
EFFalcon
Last warning

i just can't beleive how bad it is... normally a brand new freeway is built with some future scope, but this ones clogged with traffic from opening.