Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Australian Ford Forums Steak Sandwich Challenge

For a few weeks now I've been running a bit of a challenge between me and my Boss. Basically what we do is try out as many new cafes etc as we can, and rate them based on their ability to do true justice to what is probably the most revered of all sandwich based foods - I am talking of course about the Steak Sandwich.

After a few weeks of doing this through work, Im now throwing it open to AFF members in the hope of finding the best steak sandwich in Australia. There are of course a few rules which are outlined below:

1. Sandwich content

The steak sandwich must obviously contain steak. Other meats are permitted but no more than 2 different animals are allowed on the one sandwich (so you can have bacon as well as steak). Chicken is NOT permitted.

Mandatory inclusions are onion (preferably served right on top of the steak), lettuce, tomato and beetroot. Honorable mentions are given to sandwiches that incluce cheese.

The sandwich should ideally be served on white bread, wholemeal is permitted as is crusty etc. Rye bread, organic bread and or other breads of a hippie nature are under no circumstances permitted.

2. Sandwich garnishes

The sandwich may or may not be served with other foods such as chips etc. It is recommended you first sample the sandwich before eating other items on the plate as they may mask the true integrity of the sandwich.

3. Sandwiches and alcohol

Alcohol is permitted (in fact a good beer with the sandwich is recommended) but judges are to remain at all times sober and coherent - verdicts of sandwiches consumed whilst over the legal limit (which for this test is 0.05) will not be considered - have a kebab instead.

How to write your verdict:

The sandwich should be judged on all its merits including presentation, size, content and overall taste. Mention can be made of other inclusions ie chips or salad (however if you have salad with it, expect backlash). A sample verdict is outlined below:

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt:
Price:
Date Consumed:
Comments:
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest):

I invite all members of AFF to contribute, and let's find the Holy Grail!

Old 18-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: Atrium Cafe, Edward St Wagga Wagga
Price: $8.00
Date Consumed: 18th July 2008
Comments: A well made, fresh steak sandwich. Meat was scotch fillet and had all inclusions. White toast bread foundation. Good in-bag weight and feel. Easy to eat and was consumed with Diet Coke (non-pink lid bottle).
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest): 3
Old 18-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
was consumed with Diet Coke (non-pink lid bottle)
Sorry, that's an epic fail... no steak sandwich should be eaten with such a terrible beverage. ;)
Old 18-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Sorry, that's an epic fail... no steak sandwich should be eaten with such a terrible beverage. ;)
True, who consumes a real mans lunch but steals his mrs drink?

Oh and Aust, since we all have camera phones I believe that photos are a must. I want to see if these sangas are all they are said to be.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
I went with Diet Coke so as to not interrupt the true flavour of the sandwich.
Old 18-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Question... does it have to be a Cafe or Restaraunt? can it be anything from a servo to a take away shop to a smoko van?
Old 18-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Question... does it have to be a Cafe or Restaraunt? can it be anything from a servo to a take away shop to a smoko van?
can be anything however I'd suggest that one you make yourself cannot be judged without the possibility of bias.
Old 18-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: Goondiwindi Town Park
Price: $2.50
Date Consumed: 12/07/2008
Comments: Was made out of chuck steak, so the meat was tough, tasteless and full of fat. Was served with three times as much coleslaw than was needed and the supplied bun had a very hard time containing the messy combination of said coleslaw and tomato sauce.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest):1.5 the 0.5 is for the cost effectiveness of the product

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Nice concept!

I see Peuty is off to a flyer

Would caramelised onion be allowed? I think one of the best steak sangas i've had, had caramelised onion in it. Or is that getting too fancy? lol
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: Geckos Saloon Bar Karratha
Price: $14.00 IIRC
Date Consumed: 20/7/08
Comments: Foot long steak sandwich on nasty turkish bread slices, thin chewy piece of steak not big enough for the bread, the essentials and Bacon (probably the best part), Barbeque sauce. Washed down with a jug of Super Dry
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest): 2/5 - twas damn good bacon...
Old 18-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Good to see we're off to a great start.

RE Caramelised Onion, I see no harm in allowing it unless its served in some poofy manner.
Old 18-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
smoko vans and servos dont serve real food, unless you want soggy crap wrapped in foil
redxm is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
smoko vans and servos dont serve real food, unless you want soggy crap wrapped in foil
Not true, up here in Ballarat you can get some great food in the middle of the night from either the Hamburger Cart or the Chips and Gravy bus.
Old 19-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you are doing Not only the comunity but Australia a great service by conducting this servey have you applied for a grant form the govnt?

when my father and I had a workshop we conducted a simular servey on hamburgers so its great to see youve lifted the bar to the stake sandwich

I will be watching this thread with great interest and will be doing my bit as a contributer

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #15
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
I went with Diet Coke so as to not interrupt the true flavour of the sandwich.

POOF!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

*cough* Update Austin!
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #17
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt:Leo and Lisa's cafe. High St Shepparton.
Price:$5.50
Date Consumed:19/7/08
Comments:Great sanga overall, steak was fairly fatty though, and its all over the place if you try to put it down for a drink.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest): 4, Extremely filling but the bread went soggy when i tackled the 2nd half.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
rodderz

He had the diet coke to watch his weight, it was to counter the fat content of said steak sandwich

Havent had a good steak sanga for a while....had plenty of lamb sandwiches- just like the ad on telly on the way home from the pub. But, such a review would fall outside the rules as alcohol cannot interrupt the reviewer
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For a few weeks now I've been running a bit of a challenge between me and my Boss. Basically what we do is try out as many new cafes etc as we can, and rate them based on their ability to do true justice to what is probably the most revered of all sandwich based foods - I am talking of course about the Steak Sandwich.

After a few weeks of doing this through work, Im now throwing it open to AFF members in the hope of finding the best steak sandwich in Australia. There are of course a few rules which are outlined below:

1. Sandwich content

The steak sandwich must obviously contain steak. Other meats are permitted but no more than 2 different animals are allowed on the one sandwich (so you can have bacon as well as steak). Chicken is NOT permitted.

Mandatory inclusions are onion (preferably served right on top of the steak), lettuce, tomato and beetroot. Honorable mentions are given to sandwiches that incluce cheese.

The sandwich should ideally be served on white bread, wholemeal is permitted as is crusty etc. Rye bread, organic bread and or other breads of a hippie nature are under no circumstances permitted.

2. Sandwich garnishes

The sandwich may or may not be served with other foods such as chips etc. It is recommended you first sample the sandwich before eating other items on the plate as they may mask the true integrity of the sandwich.

3. Sandwiches and alcohol

Alcohol is permitted (in fact a good beer with the sandwich is recommended) but judges are to remain at all times sober and coherent - verdicts of sandwiches consumed whilst over the legal limit (which for this test is 0.05) will not be considered - have a kebab instead.

How to write your verdict:

The sandwich should be judged on all its merits including presentation, size, content and overall taste. Mention can be made of other inclusions ie chips or salad (however if you have salad with it, expect backlash). A sample verdict is outlined below:

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt:
Price:
Date Consumed:
Comments:
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest):

I invite all members of AFF to contribute, and let's find the Holy Grail!
I defy anyone to finish the steak sanger they make here...

http://extraonline.com.au/stories/story/12558.html
I managed about 2/3 and I can eat most anything without a blink (F%^&*N near killed me and the effects went on for two days
I rate it as effective good value due to the dual effects of being more than one can eat and a wonderful laxative .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #20
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: The Bent Chip, Bent street Safety bay WA
Price: $7.50
Date Consumed:18th July 2008
Comments: Great tasting, I ordered the kitchen sink (the lot) had pineapple, good feeling not overdone with sauce. Steak was around 1/2 an inch thick, tender but still needed force to bit through, Salad was good, bread was a nice homemade style roll.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest): I gave it 4 out of 5, was terrific value for money, the let down perhaps was size, but again im a big bloke. Also the steak was cooked to perfection, yet with the first bit the yoke from the egg was in my hand, I will be going back soon though and getting another burger.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: Victoria Hotel Wagga Wagga
Price: $8.00
Date Consumed: 19th July 2008
Comments: Pub counter meal steak sandwich served with chips. Sandwich was semi-cold when it arrived at the table, they had also used those processed cheese slices. Very little content in the sandwich however one person on the table ordered one with no salad - and got what looked like a runover budgie between some bits of bread.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest): 2 - disappointed but not totally disgusted. Pics to come.

Last edited by b2tf; 30-07-2008 at 02:26 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Are we allowed to backdate and refer to previous experiences?
Old 20-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Are we allowed to backdate and refer to previous experiences?
Yes, yes we can.
Old 20-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yes, yes we can.
Great, here we go then.

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: Pinnacle Cafe Altona North.
Price: $5.50
Date Consumed:Mid 07
Comments: Sandwich steak used with the simple tried and true toasted white bread, but not your average loaf - BIG STUFF - holding the beast together. Choice of fillings, naturally egg, lettuce, beetroot, tomato sauce and various other items were chosen. This is a real meal for a hungry man.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest):4.5, the only reason it doesn't get a 5 is that it can get messy if attempted by the unskillful.
Old 20-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Russ that sounds almost worth the drive!
Old 20-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Russ that sounds almost worth the drive!
Oh believe me it is, I used to work in an Industrial area, if you don't give forlies and truckies a decent meal there you don't survive.
Old 20-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Might have to sample afew up here and give my verdict, havnt had one for a while.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: HOT FOOD AND SNACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Hot food stand at the Ipswich 400 today at Willowbank)
Date Consumed: 20/07/2008
Comments:Was the only real choice of food at the V8 Supercars today, so i took the plunge and bought one. Steak was allegedly "premium", but was nothing more than a piece of typical carnival steak, which tasted like gym mats. Was served dripping with the usual selsction of sauce, tomato, beetroot and lettuce. Thankfully no coleslaw this time. Bread was stale.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest):0.5 - Dearer does not always mean better.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #29
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Name of Cafe/Restaraunt: HOT FOOD AND SNACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Hot food stand at the Ipswich 400 today at Willowbank)
Comments:Was the only real choice of food at the V8 Supercars today, so i took the plunge and bought one. Steak was allegedly "premium", but was nothing more than a piece of typical carnival steak, which tasted like gym mats. Was served dripping with the usual selsction of sauce, tomato, beetroot and lettuce. Thankfully no coleslaw this time. Bread was stale.
Star Rating (out of 5, 5 highest 1 lowest):0.5 - Dearer does not always mean better.
$7.50 for a cold steak sanga and $9 for a hot Bundy..... how ripped off can a person feel...lol
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Lol, sounds exactly like the one you get over at the drag strip...

I wonder why that is.