Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
dddd

Default no monotube shockabsorbers

About two weeks ago, in the second release of Ford info, there was a big speil about monotube shocks and how superior to twin tube shock absorbers which they currently run. Knowing a little bit about shock absorbers, I was delighted at this news as they clearly are a superior product and no doubt more costly to manufacture. We've been hearing now for some time, how Ford have improved their suspension and handling on the BF model, and finding out about the new monotube shock absorbers made all the pieces fall into place.

I was recently talking to a local Ford dealer who advised me that all Ford dealerships received notice late last week that monotube shock absorbers will no longer be fitted to BF Falcons.

I was dumbfounded and extremely disappointed. From a marketing perspective I cannot think of much worse than to praise and build up the benefits of a certain item to the public and then at the last second simply withdraw it.

I can only assume that they have been withdrawn because of cost cutting and that they are saving them for BF 2.

This now begs the question, (1) if the monotube shock absorbers are not going to be in the BF we must assume that they are puttin in the older twin tube design and therefore the handling and ride improvements we've been promised simply will not be there; (2) The press cars and current test cars that a doing the rounds presently, do they have the monotube shock absorbers fitted?

dddd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
HSE2

Surely not
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Surely not
I'm afraid it's true
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
FPV

Does this mean all BF Falcons will end up without monotube shock absorbers. They should at least put it on the XR Range and the fairmont ghia upwards. Before it was on every model except the XL ute. Very disappointing if they are excluding this feature.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

according to the press release which was later revised to remove all mention of the monotube shock absorbers they were to be fitted on:

(front and rear)
- all Falcon sedans
- all Falcon wagons
- all Territory models
- all XR utes
- XLS SSB utes with sports suspension

Whether they have been canned, or if they just intend to release the details of the suspension changes at a later date I don't know...

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

wow...pretty informative thread for your first time here.

Do you really think that a dealer knows everything that is going on? Dealers are told what they need to know.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'd say it would be too late in the program to change them if it was only done in the last week or so, as they will be ready for sale in a week or two. Do you have any proof.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd say it would be too late in the program to change them if it was only done in the last week or so, as they will be ready for sale in a week or two. Do you have any proof.
No absolutley no proof ' I did not see the letter myself , however I know this person and he has nothing to gain by misleading me . The fact that they have removed info on the monotube shocks backs up his statement.I only hope they will be still on fpv range, as it is a bf f6 that Im after.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
HSE2

I was in at my dealership today and they know nothing of this letter. Mind you if it was an error in the release, like too early, Ford would assume they had nothing to correct and therefore still not send the letter out.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 04-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
kno-all
Oracle

The information supplied by dddd is right.
They added significant cost to a model that is already the victim of substantial discounting at the street level.

There is still hope that they will appear on the models from FPV.

Till next time.
kno-all is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #11
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Hold up here..

Are they pulling them out of low spec fleet cars (XT sedan/wagons etc) or all cars. If its all cars, that just plain sucks. Are they going to be a option? Are they still going to appear on XR or Premium luxo models?

Does this mean that there are *NO* suspension improvements for BF and they are using BA shocks?

This just plain sucks. So because fleets squeeze manufacturers, private buyers get screwed too..

Ford in the US is using monotube shocks and they have profit margins in the 10's of dollars for private purchases.

Maybe theres other reasons afoot.. Like a jiggly low speed ride that may not be suitable for XT/Futura/Fairmont..
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
dddd

Yes I agree with everything Iphido has said , but I feel it goes far beyond that as well . As I said earlier , how can they sing the benefits of a far advanced product Ie ride , handling ect , and then simply tell you bad luck we have changed our minds , that is a marketing dissarster. I also have no doubt that 1 week before production starts, is not enough time to revalve and re-spring the old suspension system to a more advanced state (than ba)hence my guess is their will be absolutly no gain in ride and handling as bf will have identical suspension to ba. I'm extremely disappointed over this huge embarasing mistake.

Also I feel it's VERY important to find out if the press cars have the monotube shocks . Ford could very well be giving them cars that are now not representing what the public will get , it would'nt shock me.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #13
HSE2

The release wasn't that wide spread being mainly restricted to internet and dedicated sources. It is without question a pretty embarrassing situation and does raise questions as to what the drive day and press cars have been fitted with. One would have to assume that any drive experience of the BF has now been rendered useless, as those cars would have been build some time ago.

There is a possibility that they decided to ditch these shocks some time ago and that marketing either wasn't told or they dropped the ball, but until an explanation is forth coming the assumption must be that the BF could possibly be underdone in this area. Springs and shocks need to be tuned specifically for each other so if one aspect has been pulled most likely the complete package has as well.

I too would like to hear what the press fleet has been fitted with.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

that's too bad if its true.

Will never know how good the setup really was then... Maybe the extra cost didn't justify the benefit???

I'm sure multiple configurations were tested before monotube was signed off on, so if they have indeed reverted to another setup similar to BA, it would also be fully tested when development was being carried out.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wonder if you can opt for it regardless ... maybe it is worth the extra bit of money to "tick" the box for the new car.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #16
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Wonder if you can opt for it regardless ... maybe it is worth the extra bit of money to "tick" the box for the new car.
Ford don't seem to think so...
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post