Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Diesel.... would you buy one?

I was just wondering if you people would by a diesel small hatch, whether its a Fiesta or Focus.... i think i would after today i just realised that the petrol is at 139.9!!!!! Premium is 148.9.... ummm, $59.56 to fill up a fiesta.... DAMN!!!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah its getting crazy...Im not in the market for a new car yet, but a 405 turbo diesel is looking nice for my next purchase.

Either than or something on straight gas.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Kryton

maybe get a Mod to put a Poll in this thread so we can see a concise result?
as for me i wouldnt consider a diesel at this point. diesel prices are often higher than petrol and can rise dramatically over night (well more dramatically than petrol)
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Arent diesel prices still in the 120s?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 05-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Im up for a ZetecS 1.6 Duratorq TDCi diesel.... PLZ FORD AUST!!!!!!!!!!! Even a Focus 2.0 Duratorq TDCi Diesel with a massive 340nm! :

Old 05-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Mick K.

Yep - I drove lots of diesels in Europe and nearly bought a VW Golf TDi last year
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
parawolf
beep beep

yup - fiesta diesel would be tempting...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
cookie_thief23
Lazy bum

well considering diesel is often about 5-10% dearer than petrol (although there isn't daily price changes like unleaded) I would say NO WAY. I have owned a turbo diesel and only got about 10-20% better economy than petrol and a turbo diesel will add about $2-$4k more to price of car, u can get gas for that price and save more on petrol (about 40% ? even after u consider u go thru more gas than petrol). Diesel fuel pumps are also expensive to replace along with repairing diesels in general.
cookie_thief23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
lincoln
Blinded

What diesel cars have you owned?
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
owens

How many km's would you get on a 55L deisel tank?

I'm heading for about 700km on a tank of Optimax in my new focus which I think is pretty good. Compared with a Prius that I drove not long ago which averaged 5L / 100km, I'm averaging 7, and considering the Prius is half electric I think that's a pretty good effort.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
cookie_thief23
Lazy bum

i had a toyota surf 4x4 http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...gtinycreek.jpg i would suggest no one buys one of these, especially my old one(it was thrashed)
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #12
scotty2hottie

well taken desiels is just about as expensive, more dirty for your motor and you dont get that much more out of it, plus there more expensive to fix, i'd have to go with a gas car
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Given that diesel is the required accelerant to make ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate and Fuel Oil) work as an effective explosive I think I'll give it a miss.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:10 PM   #14
cookie_thief23
Lazy bum

I should add that u can get gas converted diesels, well the Brisbane City council new buses run on CNG i think, i don't know any1 who does gas conversions for diesels tho. maybe some1 here knows more about this and cng/lpg?
a few interesting things about diesel: its not as flammable as petrol, and used cooking oil can be converted to bio-diesel (requires using chemicals etc)

Last edited by cookie_thief23; 05-09-2005 at 10:12 PM. Reason: :P
Old 05-09-2005, 10:10 PM   #15
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Given that diesel is the required accelerant to make ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate and Fuel Oil) work as an effective explosive I think I'll give it a miss.

Russ
Given some of the noises I hear in my office, I think you drink diesel :baby bott
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #16
whippet_zetec
Supes

In Oz we have crap diesel fuels, its another story in Europe where they have much higher requirements for their diesel fule and subsequently they also get much better performance from their diesels.....in Oz, might think about the TDCi Foci.....
Old 05-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #17
Mick K.

I know of quite a few current model Golf TDi owners who have got 1000kms between fills - not just the 77Kw 1.9TDi, but also the 103Kw 320Nm 2.0TDi. Service intervals for these are 15000 / 12 months, but most people advise an oil chance every 6 months, and scheduled servicing costs are only $100 more expensive than the petrol equivalent up to 60K / 4 years. You can tell at idle that it is a diesel, but once you're moving, it is as quiet as a petrol one. No real exhaust smoke unless you floor it either.

I think Ford should counter Holden's cheap Korean push with some quality European small diesels. The 2.0TDCi is on the roads in South Africa (for about 5% more than the petrol models) so they should be able to throw a few on the Aussie bound ships.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...701942,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by South African website
Ford claims a top speed of 206 km/h for the 2-litre petrol, 203 km/h for the diesel. The 0-100 km/h sprint comes up in 9.2 seconds in the petrol car, 9.3 seconds in the diesel
MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I know of quite a few current model Golf TDi owners who have got 1000kms between fills - not just the 77Kw 1.9TDi, but also the 103Kw 320Nm 2.0TDi. Service intervals for these are 15000 / 12 months, but most people advise an oil chance every 6 months, and scheduled servicing costs are only $100 more expensive than the petrol equivalent up to 60K / 4 years. You can tell at idle that it is a diesel, but once you're moving, it is as quiet as a petrol one. No real exhaust smoke unless you floor it either.

I think Ford should counter Holden's cheap Korean push with some quality European small diesels. The 2.0TDCi is on the roads in South Africa (for about 5% more than the petrol models) so they should be able to throw a few on the Aussie bound ships.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...701942,00.html

MK
I agree! Diesels are now getting very quiet. VW, Merc and BMW are already starting the diesel variants here.... i think there are more to come.

As to the post from Cookie Thief.... mate, you just said yourself the car (actually, it was a 4wd) was thrashed, and also, considering it was a surf, im guessing the engine was developed in the early 90s? Today's diesels are the way to the future. Also, diesel prices have remained at around the 120s mark... petrol has already hit 140 in some places in Sydney, and after reading the Drive Section today in the paper, they are set to hit possibly 160 in the coming months.

Look at recent VW stats (which i cant find anymore, but i will try to get a hold of them again) and the TurboDiesels were pulling in strong demand over hear. So much so, that i think even Honda is thinking of bringing the Diesel Accord Euro (with an extremely quite and clean diesel engine that has won multiple awards).

I think that Ford should strongly consider a diesel engine. They might be more expensive, but they are more economical, YET they pull harder then the same capacity petrol engine. They also as stated by Mick have longer servicing periods. Even Mercedes are bringing out roadsters (SL and SLK) with diesel.....

Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think i also read somewhere that Holden was considering Diesel (or WILL use them) on the new VE Commodore.....

Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #20
lincoln
Blinded

Australia's diesel has improved a lot and is now much of it is up to the same standard as Europe (all of BP, for example). Also, I don't think it's particularly fair to be comparing a 4x4 with a TDCI Fiesta or Focus. Both of which have diesel engines which are as powerful as petrols with 50% more torque. Making them a wonderfully tractable engine, with the added benefit of 40% or so better fuel consumption.

My folk's bought a Citroen C5 HDI Estate based on both of these benefits. It's a wonderful car to drive and the fuel economy is pretty darn impressive.

It is worth pointing out that there is often around a $2K premium over the equivalent petrol for diesel engined cars. That's a fair amount of fuel, but with current prices it's making it more worthwhile.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

It is more expensive, but its got more torque.... so it pulls a full load easier, and its more fuel efficient in doing so.....

Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just remember that it has a narrower torque band, even though it peaks much hihger, thus they don't like to be revved out that much. But with the Focus 2.0 TDCi at 340nm, 40nm shy of a BA Mk II Falcon, who the hell needs revs? Daaaaaaaamn!!!!

I'd buy one. Not only would it slow me down but it would also cost me less. Unfortunately the cost/benefit ratio in Oz is not nearly as good as it is in Europe, with Fuel prices at around $2 per litre for Petrol and $1.50 per litre for diesel from memory it is far quicker and easier to recoup the investment on a Diesel eninge. As long as the price of Diesel and petrol here are within a few cents, it will take years to recoup the cost.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #23
whippet_zetec
Supes

as a side note when I was in the UK I was driving a Fiat Stilo Diesel and was mightily impressed by fuel economy and performance...if they had them out here I would definitely consider one as my family station wagaon.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #24
lincoln
Blinded

Diesel in the UK is pretty much the same price as regular unleaded. It's not unlike the prices here. The main benefit in the UK for diesel is lower tax as diesels emmit less CO2 than their petrol equivalent. The other benefit is economy, rather than bowser savings.

Fiat Stilo in a 3 door. Damn nice looking car!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #25
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I'd definately consider diesel in my next car.

Having finally just got a job, I'm in the market for a car, and I'm thinking about getting a NEW one. A diesel Focus would be a welcome option.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #26
lincoln
Blinded

Personally, I'm just not convinced that Ford Australia's dealers have the ability to sell something so "niche". I don't think they do "niche" very well at all - they continue to fail at anything not local, IMO.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Personally, I'm just not convinced that Ford Australia's dealers have the ability to sell something so "niche". I don't think they do "niche" very well at all - they continue to fail at anything not local, IMO.
I agree with you actually, its not just the Ford dealers inability to do it though - it also comes down to market perception.

To be honest my perception of a diesel powered car is a truck or something similar - i dont think i would buy a diesel powered Focus etc unless i was convinced that they were a quantum leap over your regular versions. I know the evidence is there etc but what Im saying is that your average punter is most likely going to think like that, and therefore not be interested in it.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #28
whippet_zetec
Supes

Pug has sold a heap of diesel models over the years so it can be done, suppose its all about how it is marketed and changing driver perceptions isnt it?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #29
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt buy a small car as a diesel, but something like a Mondeo ST TDCi would tempt me.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Mondeo = Focus sedan IMO.... I dont think ford would have a market for a mondeo. Look at Mazda, the 3 is like the focus, and the 6 is their mid-sizer, however Ford have the Falcon. $40000 mondeo or a Falcon? Pretty sure Australians wouldnt buy a mondeo.....