Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default 9/11, let us remember.

Today is the 8th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on Americas world trade towers. This attack left thousands dead, and countless more wondering "why?". Let us remember this tragic moment in history, and hope that those people affected find peace and closure.

Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow 8 years! It really doesnt seem like it was that long ago..

R.I.P to all the innocents who died that day.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah thats gone quick.

Was watching the news this morning and they had new footage, I dont know why it gets released when its still pretty recent. Makes me sick when I see it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yes I can never forget that tragic day.

I think that is the day that everyone knew where they were and what they were doing when they heard/saw this disaster.

8 years ago, yet the wounds are still open for many involved.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A horrific time for all involved. For those that lost loved ones time can only ever dull, rather than ever remove their pain and suffering.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Like all mass tragedies 9/11 will never be forgotten.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I think that is the day that everyone knew where they were and what they were doing when they heard/saw this disaster.
Yeah, same.

And the hole in the ground at the former WTC site is BIG. Makes you wonder how something so mighty could be brought down.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yeah, same.

And the hole in the ground at the former WTC site is BIG. Makes you wonder how something so mighty could be brought down.
THat was what I was thinking at the time.

Was stressful too. I felt that the world was vulnerable, because I would never think that NYC would be attacked.

I went to Safeway and got myself a four pack of Cherry Ripe Ice Creams to make me feel better. It didn't work very well, but they were nice ice creams.

It has certainly gone quickly though...very quickly. JUst hope it doesn't happen again...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Teflon Turbo
Banned

you know what go me more than anything....the firefighters running in to save people before the buildings collapsed.

FEARLESS and selfless!!!

I reckon firefighters are the toughest and bravest of all emergency services, here and abroad.

if i had to go to war, I would want firefighters by my side!
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Ringo
I see you....

Woke up and got in my car half asleep and couldn't figure out why MMM was just doing news, not music...then I listened closer and couldn't believe my ears.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
you know what go me more than anything....the firefighters running in to save people before the buildings collapsed.

FEARLESS and selfless!!!

I reckon firefighters are the toughest and bravest of all emergency services, here and abroad.

if i had to go to war, I would want firefighters by my side!
Smartest post in this thread.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Cant believe its been that long already, seems like yesterday.

RIP to all that passed and bless their families
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

2022 Hyundai Tucson Highlander N Line Diesel AWD
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
escapin

and u know what else i think that the earth must have known it was a bad as, i remember working in wattle grove sydney and it was the coldest day with clouds that looked like they were angry just rolling around. never forget that day.

all emergency service people world wide are fearless and deserve our respect for the way that they put their lives in danger to save people they have no reason to save. they do it cause thats what they do and we all should be thankfull
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I remember what i was doing, and where i was and the day was sunny, i have read up alottt about the WTC ever since. i can't believe 8years went so quick, crazy
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
lemon
The "Rose"

I agree .8 years has flown past.Its something I will never forget .How anybody can do that I will never know.To all those that lost loves ones ,friends my heart is with you
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was in grade 4 when that happened, I remember waking up and seeing it all over the morning news and one of my friends crying that she couldn't go to her yearly America trip anymore.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yeah, same.

I agree, I visited there in Sept 2002 after the and the scale of it still puts a lump in my throat today. So much sadness, so much loss.
In NYC they still have the epitaphs outside the fire stations with the forever immortal words "remember the brothers" to describe the brotherhood of the brave rescue workers. They are all heroes in my book, especially when you consider trying to rescue others knowing they would most likely not survive.
Regardless of politics, it's such a horrible scar on our history.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I started this thread to commerate those lost in the tragic WTC attacks. So far this thread has stayed in the right direction, that is, no racist comments, no anti-Arab posts, no political rubbish, and especially no blame laying. The deaths of so many innocents is a terrible thing and we don't need it marred by anything negative. My heart to those families and, as posted, the emergency services people who risked their lives saving who they could. Thankyou guys.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I was in grade 4 when that happened, I remember waking up and seeing it all over the morning news and one of my friends crying that she couldn't go to her yearly America trip anymore.
Seems it was one of those unfortunate things that everyone remembers where and what they were doing
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

2022 Hyundai Tucson Highlander N Line Diesel AWD
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

There was something like over 400 firefighters killed when the buildings came down. It's interesting, actually, to read up on the day now and see the truth of it all, what was involved, the consequences etc compared to back then when it was all confused with rumour, innuendo and speculation.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember the day

I had a good mate that was living in an apartment block not to far ie 1 or 2 blocks away and i spent the whole night and most of the next day trying to ring him

It was not till 5 pm the day after when i finally got through but he was out of town ( flight attendant ) with his work and heard about it so he called his family as soon as he could

My heart goes out to the families and friends of those lost in this sad sad event hope the scars of the day's events heal

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any of you read up on Charlie Sheen's view on 9/11 in the Herald Sun today?

He reckons it was all done by the U.S Government.

See what happens when celebrities go from nothing to the current highest paid actor in the U.S? They believe their own BS.

I think he's remarkably stupid...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
Bobman
Regulator

I remember watching Channel 10 late news and it just went live to America on "possible plane crash in WTC" - before the second one hit and Pentagon/Shanksville. I was glued to the TV until about 6am the next morning.

Uranium_Death, yeah that's true but at the same time there are many unanswered questions and oddities that you do need to look outside the square. It's a tragedy and RIP to all. 343 fire-fighters lost their lives while trying to save others.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I remember watching Channel 10 late news and it just went live to America on "possible plane crash in WTC" - before the second one hit and Pentagon/Shanksville. I was glued to the TV until about 6am the next morning.

Uranium_Death, yeah that's true but at the same time there are many unanswered questions and oddities that you do need to look outside the square. It's a tragedy and RIP to all. 343 fire-fighters lost their lives while trying to save others.
The tower was hit the first time in 1993 by an islamic extremist, except it only damaged 7 floors, America had two chances of killing Osama Bin Laden in the mid to late 90s too but refused because there were going to be too many civilian casualties for the first one, and the second time because President Clinton was in some trouble and it would have looked like he was trying to clear his name, also that a high up official Saudi Arabian was in the same tent as Binladen, because America was on such good terms with them, they decided not to. Also in the mid 80s, America gave the "Mujahadeen" (Islamic holy warriors, who Bin Laden was a part of) a couple of Stinger missile launchers to help fight off the Russians.

Bin Laden funded the project, he had access to his family's wealth, massive wealthy construction company.

They'd had been warned of an attack on American soil for a while too. It just came down to too many hints and possible actions taken that got missed out on due to one circumstance or another. No US Government involved in killing nearly 3000 of their own innocent civilians.

NY and the trade centers were a good target for Bin Laden because Islamic extremeists hate Jews, NY has the highest population of Jews in USA and a lot of them worked in the Trade Centers.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Was on a mates bucks night as we were leaving a strip club and seeing the first tower ablaze. My interest was piqued since it would have been a monumental stuff up for a pilot to fly a plane into a building by mistake. Something wasn't right.

When I got home with a skinfull of beer, immediately turned the TV on to find coverage swamped with news about both towers hit. Immediately knew that the world was a different place at that very moment. Watched in horror the events that unfolded that day.

I'm an avid Howard Stern listener and listening to the recording that day was chilling. Pamela Anderson (in her prime) interrupted by planes being aimed at buildings... Listening to eyewitness reports, people on the ground ringing in. It's 2 days I'll never forget.

To those that unnecessarily perished that day, those innocents on both flights that hit the towers, those onboard the plane that hit the pentagon and the brave souls on flight 93 that averted disaster... the people in the towers and the exceptionally brave firefighters and police that rushed in to help while in the back of their minds being possibly the last thing they would do on this Earth, my heart goes out to you all.

Humanity took a step back in my eyes that day, it would take an extreme act of benevolence for it to be restored.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #25
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman

much the same here. was watching the late news with sandra before going to bed when the news crossed live to NY. think i went to bed about 4.30am.

when the first plane hit i thought that it might have been a monumental f... up or something but when i seen the 2nd plane coming at the other tower i knew that the world had just changed for ever. first thing that popped into my head was that "U2" song "end of the world as we know it" .

i was amazed at how quick the towers collaspsed.

thoughts are with anybody that lost friends or familly.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
much the same here. was watching the late news with sandra before going to bed when the news crossed live to NY. think i went to bed about 4.30am.

when the first plane hit i thought that it might have been a monumental f... up or something but when i seen the 2nd plane coming at the other tower i knew that the world had just changed for ever. first thing that popped into my head was that "U2" song "end of the world as we know it" .

i was amazed at how quick the towers collaspsed.

thoughts are with anybody that lost friends or familly.
Was about an hour from the planes hitting when they started to collapse, then 100 stories gone in 8 seconds.
Old 13-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #27
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Tragic event. Easily the most fraudulent and evil crimes inflicted by someone on their own, "because the end justifies the means".

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

See what happens when celebrities go from nothing to the current highest paid actor in the U.S? They believe their own BS.

What's "better" than being the highest paid U.S. actor, a U.S. politician? Who cares what he is or isn't, he's like everyone else; entitled to think freely. Would it be okay for me to say I think your remarkably stupid for swallowing it hook, line, and sinker? No.
Good on him for not being scared to speak up.
Old 13-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #28
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still remember the exact moment I found out about these attacks. I feel with my whole heart for the victims and their families.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #29
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

Mate, it's very very easy to call someone stupid...it's another thing to chase the truth at any cost!

I could tear your argument to pieces, but in the hopes of keeping things civil, I will refrain from doing so here.

If you really want the truth, then PM me.

My heart goes out to the souls who lost their lives on that day...and to those that lose their lives on a daily basis in Iraq & Afghanistan.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #30
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

This one strikes home to me. Wife's family is mainly centred in NY.
We were there about 10 weeks after it happened.

We booked a trip to the US about 4 months before 9/11, and bought tickets, 5 weeks before, to view the WTC lookout about 100 floors up.

One of the most surealest (if that's a word) things I've ever seen.
When we flew over NYC, unbelievable that the lower part was in complete darkness.
Creepy, Spooky, and very quiet.
Once you got past the Empire State Building (walking the streets), heading towards the WTC, it was another world.

Very hard to eat something after that, as the "death" smell was extremely apparent, apart from large quantities of a sulphur type smell.
Took me a few hours to get over it.

The buildings were still burning, they were using explosives (I think) and demolition machines to bring down the rest of the buildings down.

A very "eye opening" experience.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post