Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Autocade

Default Makes you glad to own a Ford

I was all upset about fixing my blasted screeching handbrake again this week and just read this in SMH
Made me feel much better

Quote from SMH

THE Holden Commodore has been recalled for the 20th time in nine years, making it by far the most recalled locally made vehicle of the past decade.

Holden announced a recall of more than 120,000 Commodores, Monaros and Statesmans yesterday after it discovered the seat-mounted side airbags in 13 customer cars activated "under circumstances which did not warrant inflation". :

Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
347Stroker
Banned

As Ive said all along regarding Commodores,

Try and try as hard as you like, you just cant polish a turd.
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Stroker
As Ive said all along regarding Commodores,

Try and try as hard as you like, you just cant polish a turd.
Old 15-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Or does this just mean that Ford aren't recalling all of their faults?

Sure, Fords rock, Holdens are ИИИИИ aye, but does anyone seriously believe that Generic Aussie Built Car A and Generic Aussie Built Car B are that different in assembly quality?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine

Sure, Fords rock, Holdens are ИИИИИ aye, but does anyone seriously believe that Generic Aussie Built Car A and Generic Aussie Built Car B are that different in assembly quality?
Quiet you! Let us pretend!
Old 15-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Autocade

Talking

Quote:

Sure, Fords rock, Holdens are ????? aye, but does anyone seriously believe that Generic Aussie Built Car A and Generic Aussie Built Car B are that different in assembly quality?
Green Machine
Not here to offend just quoting the facts as i read them
If you have an issue perhaps you should contact SMH
Old 15-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Not offended at all... Just a question...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Didn't Ford also have a similar recall for airbags being fired due to static?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Autocade

Quote:
Not offended at all... Just a question...
I believe the Manufacturer would have a legal obligation to recall any vehicle with a fault that may endanger the safety of the occupants or other road users etc

Other than that I am not familiar with what constitutes the issue of a recall

On the question of manufacturing well I think that almost all marks would suffer some production problems but in this case it appears Holden will have to work harder or smarter to get on top of their quality control

You know Holden means a great deal of problems to Australians :

Cheers
Autocade

Last edited by Autocade; 15-03-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 15-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a look at the recalls site a while ago, and the old henrys seem to have made a big effort to reduce screw ups compared to other manufacturers in recent years.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I would have loved to see the dealer weasel themselves out of this when the problem first occurred. "oh....they all do that, it's within tolerance".
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I would have loved to see the dealer weasel themselves out of this when the problem first occurred. "oh....they all do that, it's within tolerance".
More like sorry this Falcon has an Aftermarket Airfiler we can't look at you airbags as the Modifications have voided your warrenty. :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
More like sorry this Falcon has an Aftermarket Airfiler we can't look at you airbags as the Modifications have voided your warrenty. :
Voided your warenty? or has actually caused the problem?
Old 16-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

"yeah uuummmm, those them there is for ummmm extra comfort whilst driving..."
Old 16-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #15
sbcb
BA Xr8

The cars badge is a pussy. It says it all.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Autocade,

Do you have access to the stats about the Falcon over the last nine years?

I wonder how many recalls it's had?

If someone gets us the figure, we'll be able to make an even comparison!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Talking

Quote:

I do!

We bought a 2002 VX Berlina station wagon with a gen 3 V8 secondhand less than 1 year old at the time with next to nothing on the clock. Our logic was we need a wagon, and sick of having sh_tboxes so we'll spoil ourselves, buy a top of the line car (Berlina is top of the line in a wagon) and keep it for a few years.
Well, how wrong were we! That thing was the bigges piece of (#*&$(#@*&$ car I have ever owned, and I've had some real crappers.

In the 1 year that we had it, the engine was rebuilt under warranty, and then the second engine used more oil and was looser than the original! We had numerous front suspension and steering problems that were "apparently" fixed under warranty, although many were "within tolerance", numerous interior pieces broke and fell off without provocation - close a door, and a sunvisor would fall, cup holders broke twice, handles broke, every bloody thing broke! 2 electric window motors were done, and switches were done many times.

There was more, but that's about all I could think of! After that little experience we decided to sell the #(*@$)(* but couldn't sell it privately at any price so had to trade it back to the dealer at a huge loss.

After that we needed another family barge, so I thought this time I'm going to the auctions and buying an AU in the worst condition with the most km's (no not an ex-taxi!). We bought a series 3 Futura wagon with 160kms on the clock, the interior was filthy, a few dints and scratches on the body, and an ex rental car at that, and it has been the most reliable car we've ever owned!!! I can't say enough about it. We've cleaned up the aesthetics, but there is not 1 single thing that requires attention, and has never needed much other than servicing.

So yes, I DO believe that 1 local manufacturer is better than another!!!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:03 AM   #18
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Yes private9 the AU wagons are very tuff. Can take a heavy load, fit a full size bed in the back, carry way more than a sedan and in my personal preference they look better than a sedan.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I do!

We bought a 2002 VX Berlina station wagon with a gen 3 V8 secondhand less than 1 year old at the time with next to nothing on the clock. Our logic was we need a wagon, and sick of having sh_tboxes so we'll spoil ourselves, buy a top of the line car (Berlina is top of the line in a wagon) and keep it for a few years.
Well, how wrong were we! That thing was the bigges piece of (#*&$(#@*&$ car I have ever owned, and I've had some real crappers.

In the 1 year that we had it, the engine was rebuilt under warranty, and then the second engine used more oil and was looser than the original! We had numerous front suspension and steering problems that were "apparently" fixed under warranty, although many were "within tolerance", numerous interior pieces broke and fell off without provocation - close a door, and a sunvisor would fall, cup holders broke twice, handles broke, every bloody thing broke! 2 electric window motors were done, and switches were done many times.

There was more, but that's about all I could think of! After that little experience we decided to sell the #(*@$)(* but couldn't sell it privately at any price so had to trade it back to the dealer at a huge loss.

After that we needed another family barge, so I thought this time I'm going to the auctions and buying an AU in the worst condition with the most km's (no not an ex-taxi!). We bought a series 3 Futura wagon with 160kms on the clock, the interior was filthy, a few dints and scratches on the body, and an ex rental car at that, and it has been the most reliable car we've ever owned!!! I can't say enough about it. We've cleaned up the aesthetics, but there is not 1 single thing that requires attention, and has never needed much other than servicing.

So yes, I DO believe that 1 local manufacturer is better than another!!!
That's what you call "Built Falcon tough"

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #20
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocade
I was all upset about fixing my blasted screeching handbrake again this week and just read this in SMH
Made me feel much better

Quote from SMH

THE Holden Commodore has been recalled for the 20th time in nine years, making it by far the most recalled locally made vehicle of the past decade.

Holden announced a recall of more than 120,000 Commodores, Monaros and Statesmans yesterday after it discovered the seat-mounted side airbags in 13 customer cars activated "under circumstances which did not warrant inflation". :
: was discussed here

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

With that statement from SMH, how many locally made cars have been in production for a decade.... once manufacturers HAD to start doing recalls that is...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #22
Autocade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Autocade,

Do you have access to the stats about the Falcon over the last nine years?

I wonder how many recalls it's had?

If someone gets us the figure, we'll be able to make an even comparison!

GK
GK
Sorry no stats here but prior to my 2001 AU which has had the safety recall for steering rack I owned a 96 EL which IMO was a good car
I cannot remember getting any recalls for the EL but it had a problem with the door locks deciding for themselves when to open and with coolant additive reacting with some metals however not safety related issues
I have no experience with BA but from what I hear quality appears to be good so I think Ford are on the right track in this area
Old 18-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #23
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I thought there was a recall with the BA

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 18-03-2006, 02:29 AM   #24
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I thought there was a recall with the BA
If you want to know about recalls then click here

FF
Old 18-03-2006, 03:32 AM   #25
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

yeah their was a recall with the BA, do you remember the clutch in the typhoon? then they tried to blame the people driving them for the faults, and accused MOTOR magazine of flat-shifting.

At least holden isn't denying there's a problem.
2kool4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #26
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Yeah - the BA had the same problem with the airbags and static build up - Campaign Number: SRCC259/A

Also had one more recall but couldn't be stuffed looking as I have an AU3 - most reliable built falcon yet IMHO....

Old 18-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
If you want to know about recalls then click here

FF

Many thanks for that link Falcon Freak, I've added it to my favourites!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Yeah - the BA had the same problem with the airbags and static build up - Campaign Number: SRCC259/A

Also had one more recall but couldn't be stuffed looking as I have an AU3 - most reliable built falcon yet IMHO....

In terms of warrenty claims the BF is now the most reliable Falcon out there.
Old 18-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #29
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
In terms of warrenty claims the BF is now the most reliable Falcon out there.
It is a bit early to be passing judgement on the BF's warranty performance as this model hasn't been on sale for very long.

FF
Old 18-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
It is a bit early to be passing judgement on the BF's warranty performance as this model hasn't been on sale for very long.

FF
True but the BAII near the end before the BF was released went under AU3 line as well.