Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #61
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: victoria to tax hybrid & electric vehicles as of 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Instant power and torque the moment an electric motor starts turning - it's much nicer to drive than a traditional car.

Have your peak torque at 1 RPM instead of 1500RPM in the case of Ford Ecoboost engine.

The kicker with the Note e power is it's an EV without the range anxiety issues or charging problem, takes 5 minutes to 'recharge' and it costs sub $40K - 1300km to a tank and 3L/100km of E10 sounds good to me in a car that makes the same power and torque at 1RPM as my Focus does at 4000/2000 RPM

I'm no enviro-flog but I love a dirty Chai.
Hybrids I get, yes that 1.2 is burning fossil fuels, but sweet F all of them.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Hybrids I get, yes that 1.2 is burning fossil fuels, but sweet F all of them.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-122585/

I'm on the train - it's such a great way to get people into EVs on a large scale, the e power system only adds $4000 to the price of the car.

Already has a sub $20,000 buy price, it's an EV that's available to the common man.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australian politicians must know something that politicians in other countries don't. All those morons in other highly developed countries are probably jealous of our amazing politicians.

Australia is the only country that has these sort of taxes for electric cars. Most countries have lower taxes or free rego or offer grants to buy electric. Some may have a combination of those things. In Australia you get an extra tax and the LCT threshold is raised so it only affects 90% of electric cars.
Amazing!

I can't stand the smell of exhaust pollution around cities. Get some more electric cars on the road.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 10:59 PM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Australian politicians must know something that politicians in other countries don't. All those morons in other highly developed countries are probably jealous of our amazing politicians.

Australia is the only country that has these sort of taxes for electric cars. Most countries have lower taxes or free rego or offer grants to buy electric. Some may have a combination of those things. In Australia you get an extra tax and the LCT threshold is raised so it only affects 90% of electric cars.
Amazing!

I can't stand the smell of exhaust pollution around cities. Get some more electric cars on the road.
Nationally the Gov will have an income problem in the future.

From the article.........

"According to the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development, in 2013–14, public sector road related revenue totalled $27.8 billion.
Fuel excise contributed about $10.8 billion or 39 per cent, down from about 44 per cent in the early 2000s.
"
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...p/FundingRoads
Old 27-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #65
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Nationally the Gov will have an income problem in the future.

From the article.........

"According to the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development, in 2013–14, public sector road related revenue totalled $27.8 billion.
Fuel excise contributed about $10.8 billion or 39 per cent, down from about 44 per cent in the early 2000s.
"
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...p/FundingRoads
They bring in 27.8 billion for roads but how much is spent on roads? I read somewhere else that the government spends about 6 billion a year on road related things.
Old 27-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #66
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
They bring in 27.8 billion for roads but how much is spent on roads? I read somewhere else that the government spends about 6 billion a year on road related things.
Regardless, the Gov will be loosing an income which they will have to recoup from somewhere.

I'd rather they do it this way than say, raise the GST or put more speed safety cameras out there
Old 27-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #67
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Amazing!
if the other countries are not doing a similar tax they are getting it back in other ways, or they are planning on introducing one in the future.
think about it.

motorists are better off knowing
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #68
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
if the other countries are not doing a similar tax they are getting it back in other ways, or they are planning on introducing one in the future.
think about it.

motorists are better off knowing
Well clearly they will have to sort something out in the future, but right now while electric cars are more expensive they're trying incentives to get people into electric so the cities are not full of pollution.

Electric cars are what like 40% more expensive than an comparable ICE? That's 40% more GST, 40% more Stamp duty, 40% more LCT. Probably higher insurance premium so there's even more GST.

Apparently pollution causes more health issues than people realize. How many people use the public health system per year due to issues caused by pollution?
Government has to pay for that.
Old 28-11-2020, 12:03 AM   #69
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it has got the greenies all fired up but if fuel excise makes up a considerable amount of revenue for roads then it is only fair that there is some form of contribution. Whether it is electric or not they still use the same roads.

House always gets a cut. EVs and hybrids are becoming more and more common so I would expect that we need to compensate for that.

RUC has it's problems too because further out you need to drive more and that is generally not the well off people.

Some have suggested that heavy vehicles pay more but those costs will just be passed on anyway.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 28-11-2020 at 12:09 AM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #70
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Some have suggested that heavy vehicles pay more but those costs will just be passed on anyway.
You got that right.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #71
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I know it has got the greenies all fired up but if fuel excise makes up a considerable amount of revenue for roads then it is only fair that there is some form of contribution. Whether it is electric or not they still use the same roads.

House always gets a cut. EVs and hybrids are becoming more and more common so I would expect that we need to compensate for that.

RUC has it's problems too because further out you need to drive more and that is generally not the well off people.

I know an answer; tax the wind and the sun.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #72
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
I know an answer; tax the wind and the sun.
Avocado and soy latte tax would raise a lot of cash.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #73
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Avocado and soy latte tax would raise a lot of cash.
Or premier, Pluckachook, in a speech a couple of years ago reminded everyone there that she owned all the rain that landed in QLD.
She also said during the recent election campaign there would be no new taxes.
I assume she ment this budget.
Next budget, well........

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2020, 01:46 AM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Fair call but Franco, when you (or Cav for that matter) buy a Chinese electric vehicle, it will truly be a sad day.
Battery powered EVs with decent range won't be cheap or viable this side of 2050 unless battery technology makes a huge leap, which I doubt.

Batteries have hardly changed over the past 100 years and EVs predate internal combustion engines and they still suck.

You know what they say, the good die young so you'll just have to worry about Cav getting about in the Chinese EV in 2063

We're a good 30 years off at minimum getting an EV Kia Picanto with a 500km range for $18K DA

It'll stay the realm of cashed up electric Jesus cultists who live in Melbourne or Sydney - the internal combustion engine isn't going anywhere for the common man like us.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-11-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #75
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well clearly they will have to sort something out in the future, but right now while electric cars are more expensive they're trying incentives to get people into electric so the cities are not full of pollution.

Electric cars are what like 40% more expensive than an comparable ICE? That's 40% more GST, 40% more Stamp duty, 40% more LCT. Probably higher insurance premium so there's even more GST.

Apparently pollution causes more health issues than people realize. How many people use the public health system per year due to issues caused by pollution?
Government has to pay for that.
This is Australia. our cities are not filled with 2 strokes and old Diesel Busses. and are practically empty of people compared to some of the densely populated cities.
Pollution and heath issues? a bush fire or dust storm would do far more damage.

Australia's percentage of new cars globally is a pixx in the wind.

Incentives? come on..

EVs will make their way here regardless of what our governments do.

But its the hybrid cars that work and are the practical Purchase, and from the article they dont seem to be attracting the tax.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #76
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

article from May, the answer is no

https://www.caradvice.com.au/847108/...tralian-roads/

I feel a great disturbance in the force, like the Electric Vehicle Council suddenly cried out in terror and was suddenly silenced.