Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 4.11 diff gears?

I hear a lot of people talking about diffs.

What exactly are they?

Is it another name for the axle or the part in the center that the tailshaft connects to?

I was told 4.11 diff gears were the best value for money mod.

Are there any disadvantages such as transmission strain, worse economy etc?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
blur1
el wagon

it is the ratio of the crown and pinion,(geared wheels inside the diff housing centre).it is a lower gear ratio than most std cars.... it is a similar effect to using a big gear wheel on the back of a pushbike compared to a smaller gear wheel. ( hope that kinda explains it.
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Melchior3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I hear a lot of people talking about diffs.

What exactly are they?
They're the part of the driveline that transfer torque to the axles and hence wheels, through gears (as posted above)

Quote:
Is it another name for the axle or the part in the center that the tailshaft connects to?
Yep.

Quote:
Debateble. It depends what you want.
If you want acceleration, it's a good mod to do as it gives better takeoff, but the car will rev higher also, particularly noticeable when cruising at highway speeds.
It's also worthy to note that if you change your diff gears, you should make sure to get LSD, as 4.11 gears with LSD aren't so great.

Quote:
Are there any disadvantages such as transmission strain, worse economy etc?
If anything I guess it would be easier on the rest of the driveline as it makes the wheels spin easier? Not 100% sure really, never heard of longevity issues, besides the need to light the wheels up with your newfound ability.

Generally, economy will suffer due to higher revving. If you want to get better takeoff but maintain some cruisability go for something like 3.5-3.9, can't really say without knowing what you have already.
Melchior3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Given that practically every thread you start mentions a concern with fuel economy, I really don't think 4.11's would be the best mod for you.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior3
They're the part of the driveline that transfer torque to the axles and hence wheels, through gears (as posted above)

Yep.

Debateble. It depends what you want.
If you want acceleration, it's a good mod to do as it gives better takeoff, but the car will rev higher also, particularly noticeable when cruising at highway speeds.
It's also worthy to note that if you change your diff gears, you should make sure to get LSD, as 4.11 gears with LSD aren't so great.

If anything I guess it would be easier on the rest of the driveline as it makes the wheels spin easier? Not 100% sure really, never heard of longevity issues, besides the need to light the wheels up with your newfound ability.

Generally, economy will suffer due to higher revving. If you want to get better takeoff but maintain some cruisability go for something like 3.5-3.9, can't really say without knowing what you have already.
Thanks well mine are whatever came stock in the falcons.

I'm guessing though 4.11's won't be as good for towing?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
webby_191189
low wagooon

It wont be good on economy due to revving higher in the gears because its a higher ratio. Standard will be 3.27 or something like that. If you wanted better economy you would get 2.77 gears. But you loose takeoff power with a ratio like that

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

4.11's are gears for a car that you want to Drag Race

If your car is not a daily and you drive it only on weekends then go for it

If your car is a daily then your going to increase the wear and tear on your car due to it having to rev higher..........

And yes its good for take off but rubbsih for fuel economy

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:

Do you hear of every mod being the best value for money? I thought you said that you were told a catback exhaust was the best value for money mod?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
blur1
el wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
It wont be good on economy due to revving higher in the gears because its a higher ratio. Standard will be 3.27 or something like that. If you wanted better economy you would get 2.77 gears. But you loose takeoff power with a ratio like that
it's a LOWER ratio. low ratio = fast revving
HIGHER ratio = highway gearing ( slower revving).
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
feebs
BrwnBstd

Probably better off calling it tall and short, not high and low.

Forget about fuel usage, only 35 kms per tank difference for me going from 3.23 to 3.9, and thats at 52km/h average so I do have some high speed driving involved.

If you ONLY do highway driving then you will lose 15% in distance per tank though.

If you also fit a modifed torque converter then you will use more fuel.

Is it the best value mod per dollar?.. at 1200 bucks and 0.5 seconds difference from 0-100.. maybe.. full exhaust is proably still better per dollar, but not as much fun.
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1
it's a LOWER ratio. low ratio = fast revving
HIGHER ratio = highway gearing ( slower revving).
Ahh i always get that the wrong way around lol. Thanks for the correction

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post