Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Top Gear glowing reviews of the Supercharged VE and the R8 Maloo

The 'Bath' Hurst special R8 supercharged Vauxhall, sounds absolutely wicked. Whining supercharger and one of the best V8 notes I've ever heard.

They punted the Maloo around the track which equalled a time of a rather surprising vehicle.

I don't think they've ever had anything but nice things to say about any of the HSV's that have been exported to the UK.

Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
martyauxr8ute

should get jezza to run a few laps at the mount when the tracks closed. see what he's really made of!!
martyauxr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely somehow they can get the boys to drive a new Turbo6 or V8 FG sedan or Ute on the UK show.
I wonder what the difference between costs would be to ship a falcon over there and give it to the Top Gear guys to play with for a 5-10minute one off stint in the near on globaly broadcast show compared to producing a 30 second advert with all the usuall costs of production, agents, airtime etc which will be shown to Aus/NZ for only a few weeks.
The big thing "marketing wise" for Ford is that once they hand a car over to them they have no controll over what is said about the car.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
The 'Bath' Hurst special R8 supercharged Vauxhall, sounds absolutely wicked. Whining supercharger and one of the best V8 notes I've ever heard.

They punted the Maloo around the track which equalled a time of a rather surprising vehicle.

I don't think they've ever had anything but nice things to say about any of the HSV's that have been exported to the UK.
Yeah, that ticked me off that he couldnt pronounce bathurst proper...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
martyauxr8ute

maybe cheaper to fly him here in october and let him drive the gt on a real race track. he can really do some skitin' then, and we get the extra promotion.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
Surely somehow they can get the boys to drive a new Turbo6 or V8 FG sedan or Ute on the UK show.
I wonder what the difference between costs would be to ship a falcon over there and give it to the Top Gear guys to play with for a 5-10minute one off stint in the near on globaly broadcast show compared to producing a 30 second advert with all the usuall costs of production, agents, airtime etc which will be shown to Aus/NZ for only a few weeks.
The big thing "marketing wise" for Ford is that once they hand a car over to them they have no controll over what is said about the car.
I don't think you'd get them that interested in a production car that they can't buy there locally (or at least in Europe).

No doubt they would heap glowing praise on an F6 but the only reason they've only test driven a number of HSV's over the years is because HSV exported them and Vauxhall slapped a badge on its butt.

Not a fan of the white GTS with the black stripe though but holy crap that car sounds horn.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/02/v...and-hsv-maloo/

Crazy review, good to see they love the aussie cars.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Great review, great drivers cars.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Epic sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfGxqBX6Hi0

Can't wait for Coyote S/C
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
martyauxr8ute

the boys really give em a work out and the times are right up there. but yeah, someones gotta get that pronunciation sorted. 'baffist'.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Was good to see Jezza having a go.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

I agree with you. It would probably be cheaper to ship a couple over there and let them destroy both, compared to producing an advertisement. The viral marketing would be invaluable.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Although it was great to see Aussie cars in the UK, This latest episode reminded me on how much it sucks that Holden can send their big woop V8 cars over to the UK but stupid Ford Australia doesn't send their equivalent there. These cars obviously sell over there so I don't see what the problem is with Ford sending cars there.
Good episode though and I guess it's good to see Aussie built stuff getting a good review in the UK.
Their pronunciation of 'Bathurst' was a tad annoying, but then again these are the same people that pronounce Impreza 'Impretza'. There's no T in Impreza. :
Bring on the Supercharged V8 Ford.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

I may be onto something here, is it more to do with Wilkinshaw and his tie up with GM that have got aussie holdens in the UK under the Vaxhaul banner, more so then GMH Australia "sending" them there. Maybe we need a FPVUK ministry before the importing of a better product can being.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Was good to see Jezza having a go.
It was actually Hammond having a go.
The "Bathhurst" definately held its own, matching the lap time of the M5!!

The car is actually built by Walkinshaw specifically for the UK market. Top Gear Australia magazine did an article on it recently too..

Last edited by Matty4; 04-08-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added bits
Matty4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Yeah, that ticked me off that he couldnt pronounce bathurst proper...
How did he pronounce it, I didn't see the show.

Given that Bathurst is named after the Earl Bathurst, an English family, I would suggest that it is we that most likely pronounce it incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Bathurst
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
martyauxr8ute

yeah was there a sticker saying 'walkinshaw' on top of that supercharger? only got a quick glance and wasn't sure.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
How did he pronounce it, I didn't see the show.

Given that Bathurst is named after the Earl Bathurst, an English family, I would suggest that it is we that most likely pronounce it incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Bathurst
I suspect you're right.
Funny how at home I give my kids a "barth" every night, but they race at "Bathurst" (sounds like an "a" not "ar")

They pronounced it "Barthurst"
Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
zx10

I cannot believe that the UK gets a supercharged clubsport and Australia does not. Then they go and call it a Bathurst edition which means bugger all in the UK, but in Australia it is held in the highest regard.

I dont care if your a Holden fan or a Ford fan, as a fan of Australian performance cars I would love that thing to be available here.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10
I cannot believe that the UK gets a supercharged clubsport and Australia does not. Then they go and call it a Bathurst edition which means bugger all in the UK, but in Australia it is held in the highest regard.

I dont care if your a Holden fan or a Ford fan, as a fan of Australian performance cars I would love that thing to be available here.

It is available from Walkingshaw Performance.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

A tremendous marketing coup - Ford australia take note. When you finally send it there dont go half arsed - do it once and do it properly.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #22
WASP
Whipple Induced

I want a 'Barrthurst'. ..lol

No really it sounds awesome.
Colville
Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Great stuff!

Ford, Holden, matters not, it's a great endorcement for an Australian built product.

They are discovering what we always knew, we have locally developed platforms capable of taking the fight up to the Euro snooooooooooooobs.

Love it.

But I do long for one of them to belt an F6

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
More likely because it would be a small fraction of the Australian population who actually watch Top Gear UK, the fact that the car is only sold in Australia makes the advantages of it being on a Globally aired program redundant, and because it would be a 5-10 minute stint shown Once on air rather then a 30 second advert shown dozens of times over a period of several weeks on several channels. That and the majority of Ford buyers couldn't care less about how the car goes sideways.
It would be pointless for Ford to send their cars to the UK just to be on top gear. Only chance would be if Prodrive ever decided to import a few into the UK.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #25
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Great to see the Aussie cars (albeit only the red stuff - for now only hopefully) finding favor with the guys at Top Gear, even though I am a massive Ford fan, and usually don't like too much from camp red, I am still proud that they are doing so well overseas. It's kind of like that little brat from next door, that you always have disliked making it big in Hollywood, you would still be proud of the fact that he came from your neighborhood.

As for their pronunciation of 'Bathurst' isn't it simply the differences in the Aussie and pommie accents? I have seen the episode, and wasn't too worried about it, sure it sounds wierd, but their poms, that's how they talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
I may be onto something here, is it more to do with Wilkinshaw and his tie up with GM that have got aussie holdens in the UK under the Vaxhaul banner, more so then GMH Australia "sending" them there. Maybe we need a FPVUK ministry before the importing of a better product can being.
Umm, I could be wrong, but isn't FPV half owned by the British based Prodrive? or is that not the case anymore?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #26
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I hated the sound of that Clubsport, the s/c whine was way too overpowering, a slight one is nice but not that. The Maloo sounded a whole lot better.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #27
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

The Maloo, wasn't charged. Just the regular LS3 re get. Although sounds like they get a more 'noteworthy' exhaust than we're aloud.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #28
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't Ford send a BA XR6 or 8 to Europe cause i remember reading a article in a magazine that showed the falcon sitting in traffic in Paris i think it was and it looked good, it was a 2 page write up!

I also vaguely recall a guy on a US 4WD forum who worked for Ford saying he had seen a Falcon GT under cover in a Ford warehouse in the USA I had put a Photo of one up, he didn't relies it was an Australian car till then.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #29
martyauxr8ute

off the topic a bit but has anyone noticed what a good presenter james may has become in his own right. quite enjoying his 20th century show. on tonight on sbs.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #30
zx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyauxr8ute
off the topic a bit but has anyone noticed what a good presenter james may has become in his own right. quite enjoying his 20th century show. on tonight on sbs.
As a character on the show James is by far my favourite. His English ways really crack me up! Oh c**k!

I seam to remember a few years ago that Nizpro (I think) was sending Typhoons or xr6t over to the UK to be sold. I think it was Typhoons and I am pretty sure that they were being modified before they left. I could be wrong but for some reason it is stuck in my head.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post