Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Has anybody else been lucky enough to be able to attend a premier/preview session of this film yet?

I saw it tonight up at Marion and all I can say is that IT ROCKS. Gotta love Indy.

I don't want to say too much in case I spoil it for people, but yeah, would be interesting to hear what others think when they see it.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Going to see it tommorow at 7. It looks good, I used to watch it as a kid non stop and can recite every word to the last crusade. Im a little concerned about the new sidekick guy, hopefully hes a nobody and dosnt return much like his other sidekicks in movies, and isnt his name Mutt or something? I dont see how he could replace Indiana Jones with a name like that. Then again, Indiana was named after the dog.
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I can't wait to see this tomorrow...I loved all the previous films. Who couldn't love Harrison Ford. Regarding Henry was one of his best roles IMO. I love the Indiana Jones series...can't wait to see it!
Old 22-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Im a little concerned about the new sidekick guy, hopefully hes a nobody and dosnt return much like his other sidekicks in movies, and isnt his name Mutt or something?
I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling, however if they DO make more, I reckon he'll still be in them.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

i just saw it at the movies today.. i must say it was awsome! i am not going to spoil it but i enjoyed it.. Harrison Ford may be aging but still does a good job at Indiana Jones...
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i get better, im going to see this with the mrs, from what ive been heard, its pretty good, and judging from the comments in here, it defently sounds worth seeing
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Just seen it at Shellharbour. This may contain spoilers below, but I dont really think so.

It was pretty much a let down for me. Ive seen them all so many times and this one dosnt hold the same feel the old ones did. For a start, theres too much CGI stuff. The old ones were made in the 80's, bet it all looked so much better because they had to do it the hard way.

Indiana seems weird, like hes had a lobotomy. He was always on the ball in the old ones. If you want t see what I mean, look at his face when hes in the cafe. Its like the first time hes acted before.

The bullsh^t factor is massive, especially at the start. I know the series is known for a bit of bullsh^t, but come on. The fridge?? It seemed dumbed down to me, he never really solved anything himself and seemed to want to go along with the bad guys too much. Maybe its just because im getting older. But I still enjoy the old ones. In my opinion they should have just left it at 3.
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Never really been an Indiana Jones fan but this movie is getting great reviews all across the board. Will be seeing it this weekend sometime.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
SNGT
BOSS 290

its not the best installment to the series of movies but i liked it. the opening scene with the hot rod was good and gotta love the harley davidson. the ending is a bit bullshize.
i rekon the guy who played Mutt was fantastic, he was really good in Transformers too
SNGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Wally
XP Coupe

I didn't mind it. Cate was probably too good an actor to be a femme fatale in this kind of movie.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm with Phil.

Was a real letdown. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was top notch, the ants pants, bees knees, so on and so forth.

This film paled into insignificance in comparison.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I didn't mind it. Cate was distracting though, the whole time she was talking all I could think of was moose and squirrel.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

As good as the others, except for crap Temple of Doom!!!
Old 24-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
It seemed dumbed down to me, he never really solved anything himself and seemed to want to go along with the bad guys too much. Maybe its just because im getting older. But I still enjoy the old ones. In my opinion they should have just left it at 3.
That's probably because Cate told him that at the 2020 summit she attended, pensioners weren't getting anything so he'd better agree to do things if he wants to keep his job as an adventurer.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heard on the radio this morning that Russian people have told harrison ford not to attend the opening as people will be out to get him due to it being set in the cold war times

must hit hard at home

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #16
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I'm with Phil and GK, a total let down,
no "get us out of here we are going to die" traps, the next nuclear explosion that I'm in, I will just jump in my refrigerator.....NOT, and on a side note gold is NOT magnetic, gunpowder is NOT magnetic, and if they can "drop 3 times" and survive, I will go but naked over niagara falls....I want my $15.00 and 2 hours back.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just back from seeing it. I thought it was a great movie, i havent seen the first 3 too many times, maybe once or twice each if that so i didnt see it expecting to see exactly the same thing. Indy was still the cynical smart *** he usually is which is great and the scenes and every thing was just fantastic. Sure there was more CGI then the first 3 BUT COME ON! its a movie made in 2008! and i thought the CGI was placed and blended very very well. It wasnt easy to distinguish where the CGI started and ended compared to star wars etc etc. Atleast they didnt make people CGI'ed like Yoda lol.

Indiana Jones films have always been farfetched but this one definatley takes the cake - But isnt that the point? Sure there were a few things left unexplained or explained terribly but it doesnt matter, Indiana jones movies are supposed to be fast paced and action go go go. Your not supposed to be thinking about somthing said 15 mins ago while theres a car chase or shootout on the screen

I give it a 7/10
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #18
BHDOGS
Banned

I gave it a wish i could get my seven dollars back out of 10 it sucked bad and was boring to boot if u cant work out the ending from the first 40 minutes your an idiot simple
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #19
austyphoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
I'm with Phil and GK, a total let down,
no "get us out of here we are going to die" traps, the next nuclear explosion that I'm in, I will just jump in my refrigerator.....NOT, and on a side note gold is NOT magnetic, gunpowder is NOT magnetic, and if they can "drop 3 times" and survive, I will go but naked over niagara falls....I want my $15.00 and 2 hours back.
As far fetched as a man's heart being ripped out while still alive? or jumping out of plane and inflating a raft then landing on a mountain and sliding over a cliff into white water rapids(temple of doom). What about melting peoples faces off with the ark of the covenant? Yes i can see where those are realistic :rolleyes:.

It's Indiana Jones for godsake! It's meant to be unbelievable! I think people are just looking for reasons to hate the movie.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So has anyone else seen it yet? What did you think?
Old 28-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #21
LPGUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon
As far fetched as a man's heart being ripped out while still alive? or jumping out of plane and inflating a raft then landing on a mountain and sliding over a cliff into white water rapids(temple of doom). What about melting peoples faces off with the ark of the covenant? Yes i can see where those are realistic :rolleyes:.

It's Indiana Jones for godsake! It's meant to be unbelievable! I think people are just looking for reasons to hate the movie.
he is right Indy Jones movies have always been like this. that spaceship is abit over the top i think. but i do still think it still a good movie but if i would do to see it again that answer is no.

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That was one of the best parts of the movie...seeing faces melt like goopy slop.

But although I haven't seen the latest installment (and likely not to see it), I am a massive fan of Raiders of the Lost Ark and feel it is safe to say that it won't be beaten by any more Herr Jones movies. The further you go, the more you dilute it.

It's why Bill Murray doesn't want a Ghostbusters 3

Cheers

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #23
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i watched this last night. have to say it was definitely far fetched and completely 'unrealistic' in most cases, but again i agree this is how the franchise has been from the start.

It fails to live up to the greatness of 'Raiders' i believe. But then so do most sequels (remember Episode One anybody?). And it was a tad too long for my liking, i mean, how many times can someone be captured and escape, only to be caught again.

it was an enjoyable watch though. 7/10

Unfortunate to say, i can see the creation of a "Young Indiana Jones" movie coming soon, though based on Shia's character not Ford's.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I saw it last week and I must say would have been better if I was a kid again coz I enjoyed the original 3 much better then and I know I would have enjoyed it more had I have been 10yo and not know the things I know now.

The ending for me was stupid and it didnt explain anything imho. But then again neither did the end of ark of the covenant.

Those who have seen it will kinda know what I mean.

Other than that you could tell HF was struggling and looking his age. The mans 70 ffs. But it wouldnt be the same without HF in it so Im glad he did what he could.

6/10 for me.

I'll get it on dvd only to complete my indiana dvd box collection.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #25
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:

For a start, you can live for a few minutes without your heart.

I think its more plausible that jumping out of a plane at low altitude in a parachute like boat onto ice is more realistic then jumping in a fridge and being thrown miles away from the heart of an atom bomb explosion, only to survive. Hey the mega tonne blast dosnt throw the fridge door open, but a soft landing in sand does. Righto.

The ark of the covenant is something from the bible. And theres no telling what it does, at least they based it on something, like the holy grail in the last crusade. If you want to go over each movie and point out the levels of compared to this new movie, go ahead. I could go on for hours.
Old 29-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #26
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point is every single indiana jones movie is total bullcrap, thats the point and thats what makes it interesting as they are different idea's. Ive never seen any movie or book that came along the same lines as this one
Old 30-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #27
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
For a start, you can live for a few minutes without your heart.
Prove it!

Quote:
The ark of the covenant is something from the bible. And theres no telling what it does, at least they based it on something, like the holy grail in the last crusade. If you want to go over each movie and point out the levels of compared to this new movie, go ahead. I could go on for hours.
Dont start this argument. Items from the bible are only relevant if thats what you believe in. For me, the Aliens in Crystal Skull are more believable than anything in the bible. I too could go on for hours.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #28
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love the little reference at the start with the ark, nice little "Oooo" placement
Old 30-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #29
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
i love the little reference at the start with the ark, nice little "Oooo" placement

Yeah after all the effort he went to to get to it and it just ended up being forgotten about in a box in a hanger.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I didnt mind the alien storyline or Lucas' 'mcguffin', however the first half to 3/4 of the movie are great, but the last quarter has too much CG and 'cartoony' physics in some parts. Not a bad effort, but I prefer the grittier (and more realistic) action sequences from Raiders.

The little touches like the ark in area 51, Willie Scotts/Marcus Brodys/Henry Jones pics in Indy's house, and the photos of the Shankara stones in the Uni were nice touches (that I was expecting one way or another)

lol too much info, and Im not even a proper Indy nerd.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post