Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Shelby looking to Focus and Fusion for future models.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/s...fusion-models/

Quote:
With the debut of its audacious 1000 horsepower GT500 at the New York Auto Show earlier this month, you might be wondering what direction Shelby will be headed in the future. After all, they can't just keep adding more horsepower to the Mustang. Can they?

Shelby president John Luft tells us that while they will continue producing post-title Mustang packages (they have a product plan for the pony car through 2020), the company is also considering branching out to other vehicles in the Ford lineup.

"Our plans include everything from the Mustang to looking at future development of the EcoBoost motor," he told us. "There could be a Focus or Fusion development in our future."

The plans don't stop there, though. Luft revealed to us that Shelby is considering producing another halo sports car like they did in the late 1990s with the Series 1.

"We always pose the 'what if'. If you remember when the Series 1 was developed, that was a purpose-built halo sports car for the Shelby brand. We always put those things in the plan because maybe down the road we would want to readdress a purpose-built Shelby sports car. It doesn't mean we'll build it, but we always want to challenge ourselves to put it on the table and talk about the practicality of it."

Keep reading for more insights into Shelby's plans for the future.
Luft admits the conditions would have to be right for a new Shelby sports car to happen, but doesn't count out the possibility.

"All the variables have to come into play – what's the economy like and what the industry is doing – but I've learned to never-say-never. It could very well be that we could collaborate with Ford and create a new one-off Shelby halo vehicle. Who knows? But we always add things like that into our product plans because it causes us to pause and look at things beyond the Mustang in the Ford lineup."

Luft also says that if Ford produces another supercar like the GT, Shelby won't miss the opportunity to produce their own version.

"If I could wind the clock back we would have had a Shelby package for the Ford GT. It would have been natural. I've heard rumors – and you've probably heard them too – of Ford bringing back the GT. Trust me, we will not be asleep at the wheel this time. So if Ford actually comes to market with a new GT, then we'll be right there with them. We will not miss that window again."
Great to see what Shelby will and can do with EcoBoost, and what it can do with teh new Focus, and Fusion. Look out ST models. As for a new Halo car... well I'd love to see that too, but seeing how they have so many powerful Mustang's in the stable. A light RWD 4cyl EcoBoost coupe would be awesome. But I suppose they're looking at the V6EB.

Can't believe this wasn't posted before. But I can't wait to see what Shelby does with these cars.

Old 19-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Shelby looking to Focus and Fusion for future models.

Shelby has done small cars in the past, they developed some Dodge's in the 80's

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Shelby has done small cars in the past, they developed some Dodge's in the 80's
Yes but now I think we're looking at dedicated tune packages across more of Ford's range. Especially for the Focus. Shelby would do something more extreme than the RS500 possibly.
Old 19-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I dont think its a big shock when you think about it. Although the SVT Cobra was replaced with the Shelby GT500, its still developed by SVT which is now merged with TeamRS. Fiesta and Focus ST models have already been confirmed. Previous Focus models have had RS models, so a third model could be expected. What we might be seeing is Euro market fast Fords retain the ST/RS nomenclature whilst American market Fords get SVT/Shelby nomenclature.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
CFOUR
The Destroyer

FRPP makes better cars anyway.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About time, I wonder what has taken them so long...

There were 7 performance tuners (including Rouch) displaying Performance versions of the focus at the SEMA Motor Show this year.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...12_ford_focus/
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You know whats good about a global car?

The chances are their work will fit our Focus too, besides a few things needing changes LHD/RHD etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

hmm rather something from team RS.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
FRPP makes better cars anyway.
Thats parts, not complete cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Well as i said, SVT still did the Shelby GT500 from 2007 to present, and SVT and TeamRS had been merged under Jost Capito before he left.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Agreed, Shelby belongs on big boofy V8's IMO. Let Team RS do the fast hatch.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Thats parts, not complete cars
oops brain fart. thanks
Old 19-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Agreed, Shelby belongs on big boofy V8's IMO. Let Team RS do the fast hatch.
Shelby is just a brand name these days, anyway. His only involvement with the cars is endorsing the checks Ford sends him. (At least for the Shelbys sold at Ford dealers--the conversions done at his own facility, like that hideous GT350, are a slightly different story, but I still doubt he's personally involved with any of them.)
Old 19-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Shelby is just a brand name these days, anyway. His only involvement with the cars is endorsing the checks Ford sends him. (At least for the Shelbys sold at Ford dealers--the conversions done at his own facility, like that hideous GT350, are a slightly different story, but I still doubt he's personally involved with any of them.)
Well yeah... old Carol is nearly 90 years old isn't he? You wouldn't expect him underneath one on the shop floor playing with revoknuckles and what not.

The V8 go fast industry is small and it has been for ages. But to tune up these smaller cars and showcase what they can do will be great for Ford and for Shelby.

Check out this baby by Capaldi Racing:
Old 20-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah i understand that bit but i guess its for heritage sake. Both the TeamRS and Shelby names have a strong racing heritage in different catogories so it would be good to keep the road cars tracing back to their roots so to speak. I guess thays the purist in me coming out.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Carroll Shelby peaked in 1967, and even then almost lost the Trans Am championship to the Bud Moore-built, heavier, under-budgeted Mercury Cougars. The '68 Trans Am season was a disaster, and Bud Moore's Mustangs did better than Shelby's in '69. Moore had the only Ford factory team in '70, and beat Penske and Donohue.

I can't believe the Shelby guy mentioned the Series One. That was about the biggest automotive clusterf*** in US history. Read the book Snake Bit and you'll see.

Since the '80s Steve Saleen, Jack Roush, and Steeda have done much more with Mustangs than Shelby has.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think the best part of the article was Shelby dropping the hint that a new Ford GT may be on the way.

Hell yeah.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford already have a new supercar called the GT...

Just needs to be sold in america.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ford already have a new supercar called the GT...

Just needs to be sold in america.
Not quite your traditional supercar though is it.

A Falcon GT isn't what you'd picture blasting down the Mulsanne Straight.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Carroll Shelby peaked in 1967, and even then almost lost the Trans Am championship to the Bud Moore-built, heavier, under-budgeted Mercury Cougars. The '68 Trans Am season was a disaster, and Bud Moore's Mustangs did better than Shelby's in '69. Moore had the only Ford factory team in '70, and beat Penske and Donohue.

I can't believe the Shelby guy mentioned the Series One. That was about the biggest automotive clusterf*** in US history. Read the book Snake Bit and you'll see.

Since the '80s Steve Saleen, Jack Roush, and Steeda have done much more with Mustangs than Shelby has.
Carol Shelby is a legend and I won't take any objection to that. He raced in the pinnacle era... with some of the best at Le Mans. And his greatest victories were in the important stuff.

And he fathered the Cobra, which is a legend to this day. He invented Tuner branding pretty much. And I'm sure these new Shelby's will be something special.