Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default have a convertible? just a few questions

Don’t know how many on this forum have a convertible. Daily driver or a weekender. Yankie or European.

I was wondering if you could point out some of the pros and cons of having a ragtop.

How does driving a coupe compare with a ragtop driving over the same piece of favourite country road (apart from the obvious sun and wind in hair..) do they feel MUCH different to the coupe version…etc

What special care needs does a convertible need, with all those hood linkages, and the hood itself?

Once you get used to a convertible, can you go back to a coupe/sedan, or you are hooked for good …?

Are you concerned when you park it, because of the attention it receives?

Which are the most popular yankie convertibles around? How much more over a coupe do they cost? 10% more? 30% more?

Is there something that a person who has never bought one, can get caught out on (not including regular mechanical/crash inspections) for example if the hood movement doesn’t appear very smooth, is there enough people around to be able to find the linkages/motors etc to fix it?

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've got one but I don't think I can be a lot of help. (It's for sale if you really want a soft top )

#How does driving a coupe compare with a ragtop driving over the same piece of favourite country road (apart from the obvious sun and wind in hair..) do they feel MUCH different to the coupe version…etc
It's a 42 yo Beetle, they feel (very) different to most other cars...especially in a crosswind.

#What special care needs does a convertible need, with all those hood linkages, and the hood itself?
No linkages, just replace the pop studs as they break.

#Once you get used to a convertible, can you go back to a coupe/sedan, or you are hooked for good …?
It gets below zero in wintertime here, and when I went to work at 2am I got a frozen head and hot feet.

#Are you concerned when you park it, because of the attention it receives?
PARK? I didn't park it where I couldn't see it. Villains wouldn't have to break in, just flip back the roof!.

The last 2 questions do not apply
Old 22-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one a few years back, only due to my wife's constant prompting. I would respond in detail to your thread but unfortunately don't have the time at the moment but can advise these are the possible issues you may have to consider should you purchase one:

sun and wind burn
restricted boot space
weathering of the interior
leaking - wind and rain
weathering of the fabric roof
more prone to theft
other drivers always looking who is in the car, and I kid you not, trying to lob various objects into the car whilst driving.
structurally not as strong as a coupe.

You may have a different view but, as you have probably already guessed, I don't have a convertible any longer.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I got an Audi TT Roadster. Made the mistake of driving it to blacktown for a wedding reception. Someone tried to cut open the roof trying to get inside. They didnt manage to get in but I need to get a new roof. $6500 for just the cloth!

Besdies that, its great. Love the car. Find the XR's sun roof all but unless when compared to the top down.

The car is a little noisy and on a hot day, the Air con does take some work to cool you down.

They usually have really good wind deflectors that allow you to keep your hair on your head without it getting blown off.

Coupes are quicker and handle better, but for everyday driving and the odd spirited drive, Top down all the way!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Also vinyl rear windows will need replacing over time. My mate has had an early MX5 for ~10 years & always took special care of the window, but had to replace it (gone a bit cloudy & minor scuffing built up over the years). Luckily there is an easy solution there in later model glass windows.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
Don’t know how many on this forum have a convertible. Daily driver or a weekender. Yankie or European.

I was wondering if you could point out some of the pros and cons of having a ragtop.

How does driving a coupe compare with a ragtop driving over the same piece of favourite country road (apart from the obvious sun and wind in hair..) do they feel MUCH different to the coupe version…etc
Ok, I currently have a convertible Citroen C3 and used to own a 59 Bugeye Sprite. You soon learn to look for the shadow of trees / trucks when waiting at lights, and to never leave any loose plastic bags / bits or paper in the cabin...

Quote:
What special care needs does a convertible need, with all those hood linkages, and the hood itself?
Depends, I would keep a convertible parked out of the sun as much as possible to minimise the deterioration of the fabric. Over time the folds will crack through. The Sprites roof was a simple design that could be totally removed and stored, I preferred that much more over the design of the C3.

Quote:
Once you get used to a convertible, can you go back to a coupe/sedan, or you are hooked for good …?
Depends on your needs and situation. Can you be bothered always worrying about if / when the complicated electronic roof in modern convertibles will stop working? These are always costly to fix. Can you be bothered always worrying about what is sitting on the back seat, centre console, dash / door pockets etc? I think I will buy another drop top, but keep it as a weekend car.

Quote:
Are you concerned when you park it, because of the attention it receives?
Yes. People will stop to look, then peer inside... happens every time I have taken either car out.

Quote:
Which are the most popular yankie convertibles around? How much more over a coupe do they cost? 10% more? 30% more?
Don't know about Yank convertibles to be honest. I would guess that a 5-15% premuim is the norm, providing the convertible wasn't a special / limited edition etc.

Quote:
Is there something that a person who has never bought one, can get caught out on (not including regular mechanical/crash inspections) for example if the hood movement doesn’t appear very smooth, is there enough people around to be able to find the linkages/motors etc to fix it?
This is why I prefer the simple design of the Sprite roof. If it did go wrong you could fix it with stuff sold at Bunnings.

If you do want to buy a convertible, do a HEAP of research. If you do get an inspection, try to get it done by an expert in the marque you are looking at. It may cost you more, but they will know what to look for and where the weaknesses are.

It is a very unique feeling driving a drop top... you forget about your surroundings when you are enclosed in a car but will feel every gust of wind, taste the road grit, hear the conversations of people on the footpath and feel the sun and get burnt pretty quickly if you're not careful.

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

My 69 Mustang is a convertible but its not my daily driver. I'll give you my opinion anyways.

I have built up quite a good tan over summer from driving with the top down. You do get burnt easy so if going for a long drive take the sunscreen and wear a hat.

It doesn't leak at all which is not bad for a 40 year old car. Its electric and takes about 12 seconds to put down. Doesn't need much work, just grease the joints once in awhile. Its a white roof so does show dark marks but cause its canvas it generally looks clean.

Yeah they are easy to break into and expensive when they go wrong. Depends on the car but getting just new canvas can cost between 2k-10k.

Ok now my opinion. I love it but would never have a ragtop for a daily as they just aren't secure enough to be parked on streets and in car parks. But you can't beat going for a drive up the coast on a warm summers night and being able to look up at the stars. You just feel free. I ride bikes also but the feeling of freedom is much better with the roof down than it is with a helmet on.
People do stare alot but I like attention so thats cool by me. Plus if you are single chicks love them. If I didn't already have a great girlfriend when I bought this car I would have stayed single. I've had girls just walk up and ask for a ride. Its actually quite frustrating cause I can't do anything about it :(

With Mustangs the convertibles go for more than the coupes but only cause there are less around. Can't really give a percentage of how much more because they are old cars its all about condition. But two in the exact same condition I'd say you'd pay about 8k-10k more for the rag top.

There also aren't that many masculine convertibles around. Most newer cars that come in softops are for chicks and hairdressers.
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was keen to get a ragtop datto instead of the tin top but there was no boot space so it was not much use.

The problems with ragtops is, as stated above, idiots trying to break in, rain/flicked up mud/bird poo/whatever, noise and most importantly dehydration/melanoma.

Other than that they are GREAT. I have spent many hours in S2000, Mustangs, MX5, Caddilac, Pontiac Firebird and Corvette over the years and they are almost as good as a motorcycle but without the risk.

As far as the hairdresser/chick comment, if your are so unsure about you masculinity that you need to have a "man's car" to reinforce it then the car is not the problem.

New raggies that will eat most falcons; 370Z, TTR, TTRS, 335i, M3, M6, Boxter S, 911, and all the Astons/Ferarris/whatever just to name a few.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went shopping for my first convertible a while ago and wanted an AC cobra but living in the city at the time settled for a Boxster S. Solely for the reason that the Boxster was more practical/safer as a daily driver. If your getting an older convertible look out for leaks, smelly carpet, and rusting floor pans from wet carpet. Some of the older cars sound like your driving down the road in a tent. So be sure to take it for a drive with the top up. Also take it for a drive with the top down at 100kph and check the wind buffeting isn't too bad.

Nothing beats a convertible on a nice day.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll second the Boxster point. This time of year is great driving with the top down. Winter is even better with the heater cranked up. I find that Sydney summer is too hot with the top down - except for late evenings.

You need to get something with wind deflectors, otherwise it gets breasy at speed.

The modern rag tops are good. Dont leak water or air, and are insulated from both sound and heat.

You will have to put it up in long tunnels - like the M5 near Sydney airport - otherwise you will be gassed and struck deaf.

Make sure that you can get the top up while mobile. You dont want to stop on an expressway when it starts raining and or when a tunnel comes up.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've had MG's for over 30 years. The present MGB for 15 years now.

A convertible with a hard roof that folds, like the newer Astras etc would be OK as a daily driver, but a soft top is not. Not secure enough to leave parked anywhere.

And they are not cool on hot days.

Generally owners have them for a little while, the novelty wears off, then they sell them. The turnover rate with convertibles would be much higher than for normal cars.

One tip with convertibles, stay well clear of cattle trucks. I'd hate it if it happened.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As far as the hairdresser/chick comment, if your are so unsure about you masculinity that you need to have a "man's car" to reinforce it then the car is not the problem.
Well in that case next time I see a Barina convertible for sale I'll be sure to let you know.
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post