Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
ben131185

Default oil leak - auto trans/tailshaft area

was underneath the au today taking a look at the exhuast sytem, which i have now decided, needs replacing. and noticed a heap of oil on the underside of the floor of the car right around the back of the auto trans where the tailshaft joins.

I can't see where any oil is actually leaking from and it has not leaked on the driveway. I can only guess that its leaking from the back of the trany somewhere when driving and being flung off the tailshaft all over the road and the floor of the car.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can shed any light on the situation?

ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: oil leak - auto trans/tailshaft area

Transmission oil coming out somewhere under pressure? Possible for sure. I would check the oil level asap. Rear extension housing seal or gasket? Servo housing? Transmission pan? When was it last serviced? You need to get back under and clean where the oil is and basically clean as much of the transmission as you can to make it easier to spot where the oil is coming out from. You might be able to replace those gaskets if you find it, have experience working on cars & have all the gear. Dont leave for too long & take it to you're local transmission expert now if its not possible for you to fix. Good luck mate.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 22-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
ben131185

Going to book it in tomorrow morning.

I don't really have the time to be mucking around on it. And haven't worked on this stuff before.
Old 22-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
fordman302

Very common in the btr, the rear bush wears and floggs out the seal, i used to sell seals as a part of my old job and that was one of the most common ones we moved. I recently had mine all fixed up with a new bush, seal and tranny service for just under 400 bucks i think from memory
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
ben131185

the leak was coming from the welsh plug in the yoke on the tailshaft uni joint.
new tailshaft, auto trans service with torque converter flush and also had the inhibitor switch replaced as it had a fault logged. $650 all up.
Should be all sweet now.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185
the leak was coming from the welsh plug in the yoke on the tailshaft uni joint.
new tailshaft, auto trans service with torque converter flush and also had the inhibitor switch replaced as it had a fault logged. $650 all up.
Should be all sweet now.

New tailshaft? mate I think you've been had...
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
fordman302

yeaqh this one sounded strange to me aswell, i have never noticed a welsch plug in a yoke
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
ben131185

hmm, well thats where they said the leak was coming from.
they said the bush and seal were fine.

ill have to check underneath to see if its still leaking or not.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
ben131185

had a look and can't see any oil.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I just did some googeling and yes its possible that au's have a welsch plug located in the yoke. Its news to me but good to know none the less lol! Didnt see any other au's suffer from it though but other manufacter'ers do have the same setup. Good to see its all sorted now!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Had this happen to one of my old taxis. Thought it was the ext bush/seal for a while but changed them and it still leaked.
I didnt put a new tailshaft on, just a new yoke off another gearbox.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
ELagent
Car Savvy

I know this thread is old but I figured I could help folks who see this thread
Attached is an image of my problem. In my scenario my car started shaking and when I pulled over and had a look there was smoke bellowing off my centre muffler where the oil had been dripping onto it
What had happened is the bush and seal had worn. For anybody who see's this image and it's the same as yours, don't drive it! You run the risk of needing a new transmission and in a worse case scenario you could need a new tailshaft adapter
Put it on a trailer and take it down to your mechanic.
If you don't want to get scammed, check your trans fluid. If it's still got some in it and your mechanic tells you that you need another, tell them to go **** a tree because it shouldn't have burnt out (unless there are any other problems like slipping gears and hard changing which didn't happen in my case)

Long live the EL!

ELagent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post