Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default PC Speakers

Whats everyone using for PC speakers mainly gaming and music. Use headphones most the time. Probably after a 2.1 System. After abit more than Logitech stuff. . . .
Old 25-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
minheim

Default Re: PC Speakers

Currently using edifier m20 prime speakers. They are a nice compact size for the desktop and also have a three port usb hub. Prior to that I had a Logitech surround system with woofer but it took up too much space so it was transferred to stereo duty.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Those Logitech systems with subwoofer are astounding value for money. Sounds better than any factory system ever put in a Ford. Ford should have just outsourced their audio to Logitech instead of pathetic Sanyo/Mazda that sound like they were designed by a lab of deaf people.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

creature speakers

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to run Logitech 5.1 system (z506 or something). Really good setup for the little outlay. These days I go exclusively headphones, can play those as loud as I want without annoying the rest of the house at 2am
Old 25-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know logitech is out of the equation, but im using the z906 as our home theatre system, which is also connected to our PC for music. Of course its not mind blowing, nor is it the crispest quality, but 500wrms for pc speakers sure does a damn good job for the money
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Bluetooth to a Sony GTK-X1BT, only for music though. 500w rms goes quite nice
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

This is the benchmark 2.1 system (from Logitech though):

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/logi...pc-9701180403/

I have a set and they make a mockery of anything under $1000 regardless of application. So much depth and such a rich sound, it beggars belief PC speakers can sound this good. As a result, they are fetching stupid money on fleabay as they are no longer manufactured. An example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Logitech-...EAAOSw~bFWJMQd
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

For gaming i use the Logitech G430 7.1 gaming headset and for general i use the Logitech X 530 5.1 speakers

cheers Dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post

I have a set and they make a mockery of anything under $1000 regardless of application. So much depth and such a rich sound, it beggars belief PC speakers can sound this good. As a result, they are fetching stupid money on fleabay as they are no longer manufactured. An example:

I'd like to offer an alternative to Logitech - yes the units above are very good but I've had a set and they don't come near the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. They weren't available here for awhile but they are now in the hands of a new distributor and can be found for under $300.

You'll find a fair few on E-Bay but be careful - the earlier models suffered from failure of the 5 pin DIN plug that was used to connect Satellites to sub. This was redesigned in 2010 and they have been trouble free since.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have an antique Altec Lansing surround sound 5 speaker plus one sub woofer set .... only joking , not really antique , but getting long in the tooth , i cant remember when i bought them .....possibly ten years ago , maybe more , the surround speakers are not terribly big , probably 3 x 2 inches approximately , the woofer is about a foot high by 7 inches wide , still makes pretty good sound , i get complaints from the front of the house the floor is shaking with probably half volume .
i would buy this brand again without a thought.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'd like to offer an alternative to Logitech - yes the units above are very good but I've had a set and they don't come near the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. They weren't available here for awhile but they are now in the hands of a new distributor and can be found for under $300.

You'll find a fair few on E-Bay but be careful - the earlier models suffered from failure of the 5 pin DIN plug that was used to connect Satellites to sub. This was redesigned in 2010 and they have been trouble free since.

Cheers
Russ
I'm not sold on them. I saw them in Hardly Normal when I picked up the Z2300 and had a chance to give both a workout before I walked away with the Logitech. The Klipsch speakers are very good, I felt that the sound coming from the Z2300 was just that little bit richer and had significantly more punch.

Subjective tests aside, I'm always weary of speaker/amplifier power values not shown in RMS. It's why I've always laughed when I see stratospheric PMPO values splashed in the biggest typeface available on the packaging of a lot of consumer audio gear
Old 14-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Cheers
Russ
I have the Logitech Z2300 set in my garage powered up for when I wash the cars etc. and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 in the computer room and I have to say the build quality of the Klipsch is absolute RUBBISH!

There are 1,000's of complaints about the poor control of the main volume button ( I have to have mine at 10 o'clock position just to get level sound from the speakers), mine also make pulsing sounds through headphones as well. The subwoofer is gutless and distorts at even moderate levels. It's a non-performer and the logitech whips it here in the bass dept.

The satelites sound nice and detailed though. Pity about the rest!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post

Had mine for 7yrs and still as powerful as the day I got them. I remember getting them aae delivered from logitech shop au for $179 nothing I have heard even compares to the sound.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

RMS still doesnt mean allot to me. Sound is affected by so many other things. I think im looking at Edifier or Focal Speakers the Edifier ones are just crazy room shaking bass.
Old 15-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which Edifier in particular? From all the people I have spoken to who own them say the opposite to you.
Old 16-05-2016, 02:55 AM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the Swan M50 2.1 speakers. The Swan models seem to get a decent write up for their respective price points for the M10, M20 and M50
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
creature speakers
I have a set of these but don't use them anymore. I now have a DLNA media server and play movies/music on my home theatre system via the TV so the Creatures have been relegated to a drawer in the shed. These speakers are made by JBL by the way, so they are a reputable brand.

In the shed I have a cheap set of Logitech 5.1 speakers that I bought in NZ. They give a good sound for the price I paid for them.

I just have no use for computer speakers inside the house anymore.
Old 23-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Slightly OT but maybe a little bit related.....

I am looking at a mini hi fi system as I would like to use it as a standalone USB/Bluetooth player in my study. I also want to be able to plug the laptop in and use it for the sound off that (i.e. when playing YouTube videos etc). I am thinking a system with HDMI input would be the best solution as then I can use a HDMI cable to connect the laptop.

Any other suggestions?
Old 24-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Using a Yamaha home theatre system for my PC. Accepts Dolby, DTS or any codec my PC can throw at it.

Better than any PC-orientated system on the market.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #21
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Which Edifier in particular? From all the people I have spoken to who own them say the opposite to you.
Was the Edifier S730, plenty of videos shaking stuff around rooms on the net.

I ended up going for Creative T4 plenty bass considering I'm bass head and love the connectivity. Just paired my phone using NFC. Connected to a sound card on my gaming pc really really happy. Appearance and the appearance of the desk controller/Bluetooth hub was also consideration.
Old 24-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
I have a set of these but don't use them anymore. I now have a DLNA media server and play movies/music on my home theatre system via the TV so the Creatures have been relegated to a drawer in the shed. These speakers are made by JBL by the way, so they are a reputable brand.

In the shed I have a cheap set of Logitech 5.1 speakers that I bought in NZ. They give a good sound for the price I paid for them.

I just have no use for computer speakers inside the house anymore.

seems the way to go, actual "connected" speakers are fast becoming a thing of the past......these "blue toothy's" and wi-fidles" look to be taking over.

I'm looking at a new set just now, not sure which way to go, wi- fi or bluetooth, it is whispered amongst wise men that bluetooth has a better range?

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 24-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #23
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
seems the way to go, actual "connected" speakers are fast becoming a thing of the past......these "blue toothy's" and wi-fidles" look to be taking over.

I'm looking at a new set just now, not sure which way to go, wi- fi or bluetooth, it is whispered amongst wise men that bluetooth has a better range?
I'm not a fan of the reasonably priced wireless speaker setups. They sound horrible, most of the time they have too much bass to mask deficiencies in the mid to high frequency sounds. Decent wireless speaker setups cost a bomb in comparison.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Old 25-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #24
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorta half looking at Bose just now, don't seem too bad.......but the kimberley is calling again so earthly home goods aren't really that relevant ATM.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #25
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had Logitech- is blah.

Now have Klipsch Promedia 2.1, punchy powerful sound- subwoofer actually is too overbearing. No issues quality my end. Is a nice warm punchy sound, powerful, little too much low end, without the low mid punch, ie I would like more emphasis on round 120 hz, instead of the 50 hz range. But is GREAT for gaming.

I use this for battlefield 4 multiplayer, great for explosions when the little women is not around, when she is -its headphones...

For music, real listening, I have a Denon DM 40 DAB in my office- is a great warm sound that is punchy. Good for music, would lack bass for games, but a hi fidelity sound that you could connect via adaptors to the PC.

I would steer clear of Yamaha - have a big Yamaha system downstairs in music studio/TV room, huge subwoofer, 2 big towers, 7 speakers, massive amp, is LOUD but I find the sound sterile and hard and is digital hard. I find it good for movies, but it does not give soul to music.

Of all the stuff I have used, Denon makes digital sound like soul in music- so if your priority is music-Denon, a mini hi fi system which is good for a small to medium small room.

If is loud bass shaking explosions -Klipsch.

Logitech is not in the race with these makes....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 AM   #26
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Interesting to read your notes on Yamaha. Their NS & HS series are kind of legendary for music production so I'm surprised their home systems lack accuracy. I personally prefer the sound of krk's reference speakers but the Yamaha's aren't too shabby.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 AM   #27
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Whats everyone using for PC speakers mainly gaming and music. Use headphones most the time. Probably after a 2.1 System. After abit more than Logitech stuff. . . .
Altec Lansing 5.1

Very nice

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #28
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the Logitech Z623 on my PC. Sub is good but the satellites have no mid range whatsoever. Too small. For the $160-170 they are they work well though.

If you want nice sound use a receiver and bookshelf or monitor speakers?
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #29
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
I had Logitech- is blah.

Now have Klipsch Promedia 2.1, punchy powerful sound- subwoofer actually is too overbearing. No issues quality my end. Is a nice warm punchy sound, powerful, little too much low end, without the low mid punch, ie I would like more emphasis on round 120 hz, instead of the 50 hz range. But is GREAT for gaming.
Wow you must have a 1 off set! Seriously, the bass is gutless and what does one expect with a 5 inch woofer? I have my subwoofer level just above minimum and half volume ends up in a pile of distorted bass. And all the professional reviews agree so I am unsure what you are hearing.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #30
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Interesting to read your notes on Yamaha. Their NS & HS series are kind of legendary for music production so I'm surprised their home systems lack accuracy. I personally prefer the sound of krk's reference speakers but the Yamaha's aren't too shabby.
Hey Junkyards-Dog- the Yamahas are very accurate-very very good for movies and that high fidelity translation. I just find the sound hard, whether it is the D/A conversion, the speakers, I find that there is a hardness in the 1.5K to 3k range which is not pleasing when listening to music. Movies the system works well. I agree that studios use Yamaha speakers as second monitor sets as a reference because they are flat and accurate.

I have a sound recording studio, have event 8s as the monitors, what you want in monitors in a mixing studio is different requirement to what you want when playing music/movies etc.

Duaned: "Wow you must have a 1 off set! Seriously, the bass is gutless and what does one expect with a 5 inch woofer? I have my subwoofer level just above minimum and half volume ends up in a pile of distorted bass. And all the professional reviews agree so I am unsure what you are hearing"

I have a professional recording mixing room, and trust my ears, rather than hearsay reviews. The Klipsch produces bass that is very strong for a small system, but is somewhat artificial in the low frequency hump. I agree with you that the bass is not tight and defined, but is wooly and distorted, but its great when I play Battlefield 4 multiplayer- suits those explosions ....

If you read what I said, I pointed out that there was too much 50hz, and should be more emphasis on 120 hz odd- sound engineers saying that there is a muddy wooliness in the low end instead of tight punchy bass.....this is what causes that distortion -too much emphasis on 60 hz and below through a small subwoofer.

Saying that still enjoy the sound of blowing things up through them- the distortion adds to my experience...

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 06-07-2016 at 01:18 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post