Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
arlester

Default HELP!!! 4x4's stuck

So went out for some fun with friends last night up in Townsville for some offroad work. There was two of us to start with. Havin some good times when the guy in front gets stuck. So I thought no worries I'll just go the other way and pull in front. But no as I go back abit she bogs down and isn't going anywhere. Keeping in mind we are both on road tires. My friend had a Maverick and I was in a D-Max.

So we've called a friend out And be obliges but when he arrives gets stuck 20 meters before he can reach us. Now he's stuck up to the diff in a patrol. Over the course of the night we get some people on the UHF who come give us a hand but everyone is just getting stuck.

So with all cars stuck what options do we have to get em out. Is there a service you can call? Or do we just need to wait and work at it?

arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hm not sure, SES or Police? (coppers wouldent be free if they do it)
I hate that "were all bogged were screwed now" feeling.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will probably need a tractor, is there a nearby farm? you could pay the farmer say 40 bucks a car?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Did anyone think to let their tyres down to about 15-20psi before they went in?
Doesn't matter that they are road tyres, the extra floatation creates grip.

This may still help someone who isn't stuck now.

Anyone have a winch on their car? If so, at a minimum they can bury their spare tyre if there is no good solid anchor point.

my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Yep - find a guy with a tractor and pay him whatever he asks.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about the advice, did anyone think???

Brainless morons such as your self who think they are invincible end up costing emergency services money and get other people into danger all because you wanted to have "fun".....

And for those who keep missing the message.... there is now up to 72 people feared dead in Toowoomba because of flooding, not to mention others (at least 6 that i know of) who have died because they hav driven into flooded roads....

Last night there was flash flooding in Townsville... and you idiots thought it would be fun to go for a drive?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something like this happened a few months ago on Outerlimits 4x4. There were 12 cars stuck in the end for about 2 days.

A guy with a zook on 33's pulled them all out!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
How about the advice, did anyone think???

Brainless morons such as your self who think they are invincible end up costing emergency services money and get other people into danger all because you wanted to have "fun".....

And for those who keep missing the message.... there is now up to 72 people feared dead in Toowoomba because of flooding, not to mention others (at least 6 that i know of) who have died because they hav driven into flooded roads....

Last night there was flash flooding in Townsville... and you idiots thought it would be fun to go for a drive?
Yes we did think. Of course we didn't think we were invincible and we went to a place that we normally do go. We are less than 1km from civilisation aswell. The only reason the 2 got bogged was because the first car didn't follow the track properly and I was trying to go backwards up a hill. As for the other cars then I don't exactly know why they got bogged but one of them found a rut that we avoided.

I do understand what is happening in Towoomba and it is not nice but where we are is pretty safe. Also I have obviously figured out my mistake and would like to not have to be 'Told off'.

To all the people that have advice on what I can do thank you and keep it coming.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Something like this happened a few months ago on Outerlimits 4x4. There were 12 cars stuck in the end for about 2 days.

A guy with a zook on 33's pulled them all out!

Yeah a friend used to have a Zook that would do that all the time. Unfortunetly that car is not running at the moment.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
66GT

you may be able to ask the local army boys nicely for assistance. A unimog of theirs should get you out?
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
fairBA
Banned

Call the local Toyota dealer - Tell them you'd like a demo of what a 200 Series can do.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

winch.. turfer.. sticks.. rocks.. bits of trees.. goodluck.. some pics would be nice....... hahahaha..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pull your head in jim... your not being very constructive.... in fact your being a goose....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
arlester

One of the cars had a winch but that broke. That's what happens when the idiot doesn't dig first.

I think they have someone else coming out with a pretty good 4x4. hopefully that will work
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
pull your head in jim... your not being very constructive.... in fact your being a goose....
gobble gobble.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did anyone think after the second or even third vehicle got bogged to change strategies, instead of just driving into the bog one after the other, I have tears in my eyes laughing just imagining it, that clip on video would be priceless

You will have to either find a mate with a 4X4, AND with an IQ greater of a common house brick to come and get you, and or pay someone that knows what they are doing. I understand the first vehicle getting bogged, and may be even the second to some degree, but the third???? Wasn't anyone thinking well its boggy in there, may be he should not drive in there.

The best option I can think of would be a local farmer with a tractor he will be able to pull you out no dramas, expect to be paying him between $100-200 per vehicle to get it dragged out, considering his tractor is probably worth more than all the cars bogged there put together and he has better things to do than rescue amateurs I feel that would be a fair price to pay for stupidity.

And expect the farmer to stand there and p!$$ himself laughing for about 20 minutes while he takes photos for his mates so they can laugh about it for weeks while drinking all the beer you guys have just bought him

Apart from that your options are shovel and lots of digging, and hand winches such as a good turfer with some timbers and sticks and more digging, google 4X4 recovery techniques to learn more.

but this has just made my day, the funniest thread ever since I been here
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The OP is asking for help/advice, if you have nothing constructive to offer then don't bother posting.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Nickxb
XB in progress

Depends what you are bogged in. Try and dig yourself out and pack hard material such as logs etc under the tyres. If you have no recovery gear, get one vehicle out and try to get someone with some 4x4 experience to help the rest.

Also try lightly pumping the brake as you guild up touque. This will help send drive to all wheels. I prefer low 2nd for self recoveries as low 1st has too many revs.

If all else fails, leave the vehicle and get to saftey.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
Depends what you are bogged in. Try and dig yourself out and pack hard material such as logs etc under the tyres. If you have no recovery gear, get one vehicle out and try to get someone with some 4x4 experience to help the rest.

Also try lightly pumping the brake as you guild up touque. This will help send drive to all wheels. I prefer low 2nd for self recoveries as low 1st has too many revs.

If all else fails, leave the vehicle and get to saftey.
We have a car there now that isn't bogged. The problem after the rain is now the area anywhere near the cars is boggy.

We are bogged in a mix of mud and clay. mostly mud.

Getting to safety is not a problem as we are less than a kilometer from the suburb that I live in.

The reason so many cars got bogged is because to get to the cars you have to go through some boggy stuff. This are is very close to salt flats aswell.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
It's called 4x4'ing mate, people get bogged, it always happens.
Its like getting up someone for crashing their car in a drag race and saying they cost the people so much to clean up :\

Do you have any loading ramps for moto's ect?
Digging them under the tyres works very swell
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
It's called 4x4'ing mate, people get bogged, it always happens.
Its like getting up someone for crashing their car in a drag race and saying they cost the people so much to clean up :\

Do you have any loading ramps for moto's ect?
Digging them under the tyres works very swell

No loading ramps but we do have 2 of those MaxiTrax. The plastic boards with the spikes for the wheels
Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a pic here from the last big rain out my way
1 4x4 bogged
1 Tractor bogged trying to pull out the 4x4
1 Backhoe bogged trying to pull the tractor
1 Drott trying to pull the Backhoe

Drop tyres to near flat

Im sinkin spinning wheels and have to resort to 4x4 to get out my driveway

You either need somethin with great grip (Maybe a 4x4 with front and rear lokkers)
A Tractor maybe
Get the towing rig on hard ground
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #23
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Ive got a pic here from the last big rain out my way
1 4x4 bogged
1 Tractor bogged trying to pull out the 4x4
1 Backhoe bogged trying to pull the tractor
1 Drott trying to pull the Backhoe

Drop tyres to near flat

Im sinkin spinning wheels and have to resort to 4x4 to get out my driveway

You either need somethin with great grip (Maybe a 4x4 with front and rear lokkers)
A Tractor maybe
Get the towing rig on hard ground
That's the hard bit. Getting the tow car on hard ground
Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #24
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Round up a heap of snatch straps and chains
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #25
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

got a photo .. get an exhaust jack /high lift jack fill in under wheels or push off centre to get a new line , lower tyre pressures now ( it will help endlessly ,down to 5 - 10 psi or till your tyres look to be bagging out) , if you got a winch thats got a broken rope try unwinding and putting a snatch strap on it ( bodgy but can work ) if there are others there you will be supprised how easy it is to lift a vehicle sideways also ...perfect time to learn dont call for help you can get out of pretty much anything with a bit of thought ...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Kryton

Get a shovel and start digging.
Should have been the first thing you did.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Get a shovel and start digging.
Should have been the first thing you did.
this... it might be the hard way but you probably only need to get one vehicle free, then use that to pull the others out.

once out id suggest buying a hi lift jack, theyre cheap, and can be used as a winch, very slow but very capable of pulling even a tank patrol out of a bog. it just takes time.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #28
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mate its a bugger but unless you can get a tractor to get you out best off to just dig and dig some more let the tyres down than put whatever you can get hard logs etc under the wheels attach the snatch strap/winch to a tree or something that aint moving and slowly ease out in 2nd.

If you have a ARB or a 4WD club around they may be able to give you more help or point you in the direction of a more capable vehicle to get you out.

failing all that cover the cars with some branches pretend it never happened and call the insurance.....

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #29
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your only 1km from town go around to the local machinery dealer and give him a couple of hundred cash to pull you out with a tractor.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #30
Skotty
Banned

Got insurance? Use it
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post