Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-04-2022, 02:23 AM   #1
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Vernier calipers

I have one like this:

But lost the 'nut' or whatever you want to call it that tightens down the set screw. It was nickel plated steel so it's getting some surface rust unless cleaned and oiled (found it in a shed decades ago)

I've tried the lr44 battery digital ones that every man and his dog sells or has owned and I hate them, always chewing through batteries, and also I know how to read verniers anyway so I don't want to go the digital route.

I was thinking of trying to get a dial gauge version, was planning of getting a wurth brand one (E: pic below) but can't find that for sale in AU.

Anyone know of some place in AU that sells them under $100, not digital, preferably dial (but if not a "windowed" read section like my pic), also stainless steel only - not coated steel like my old one or a basic plastic one or a non windowed one. Any ideas what and where to look?

I'm half considering a similar one to what I had, ie:
https://mektronics.com.au/products/c...-caliper-180mm

Or just taking my chances with ebay/ali, but I would have bought the wurth brand dial gauge for $70-100 if someone in AU sold it.
https://eshop.wuerth.de/Product-cate...gid/en/US/EUR/

Last edited by oldel; 03-04-2022 at 02:31 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2022, 02:50 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Vernier calipers

What about the Würth slide calipers? They sometimes turn up used.

Not being critical, just curious about the wide difference in your preferences between a dual currency sliding caliper with “window” and metric-only dial.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2022, 03:00 AM   #3
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only use metric, And I'm used to the "windowed" caliper I've had for over a decade?
Intended use right now is just to gauge thickness of aluminium at work- ie 1.6, 2, 2.5 or 3mm thick.
The other day I went and fetched my calipers and noticed it was missing the 'thing/nut' the set screw tightens onto.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:16 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I get it. My first job worked inches, but we had some metric machinery. That kept you on your toes.

If you’re missing the round knurled piece on top, it’s called a thumb nut. They do seem hard to find in fine sizes.

Presuming you’d seen these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154839077725
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2022, 03:21 AM   #5
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the thing up top is a thumb screw (with shaft), I'm missing the thing at the bottom that the thumb screw actually screws into.
Like you said, small thumb screws are hard to find in smaller sizes, but whatever the receiving "thumb nut" is, that's even harder to find!

Anyway, it obviously wasn't an expensive unit, as I found similar to them for $30. But looking for an upgrade, something with good stainless steel, something not digital, something under $100
Old 03-04-2022, 03:41 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The knurled thumb nuts and the related threaded bits are a common spare part for bed levelers etc in 3D Printers so if you just want to try and get a replacement nut you could try:
3D Printing Perth Computer Parts & Equipment - Perth, WA 6000
75B Brewer St, Perth WA 6000
Old 03-04-2022, 04:27 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Dial Calipers for less than $100 ($35.65) dual metric/imperia sort of (really just metric dial wise) https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/calipers/8412537 Carbon Fibre rather than metal though.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:45 AM   #8
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Dial-Calipers
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2022, 04:47 AM   #9
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Ve...ers-Screw-Lock
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 03-04-2022, 11:14 AM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Charliewool I don't think any of them meet his criteria:

Quote:
I was thinking of trying to get a dial gauge version, was planning of getting a wurth brand one (E: pic below) but can't find that for sale in AU.

Anyone know of some place in AU that sells them under $100, not digital, preferably dial (but if not a "windowed" read section like my pic), also stainless steel only - not coated steel like my old one or a basic plastic one or a non windowed one.
I think he is going to have to spend over $100. These might be as close as he gets and the exceed his $100 limit.

https://www.toolmart.com.au/sidchrome-scmt26118.html or https://www.toolmart.com.au/sp-sp35621.html
Old 03-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

These are advertised as steel (probably not stainless though) and are the window type under $100 https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/calipers/2215522 Also 120mm rather than 150mm. But less than $35.00
Old 03-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of left field and maybe out of scope and price, but jump on this site:

https://www.jewellerssupplies.com.au...ulers-calipers

Should come back with a screen full of various options.

These guys sell top quality stuff. Dad bought a slide caliper off them about 20 to 25 years ago and gave it to me a couple of years back when he decided to move to digital.

Digital wasn't for him so he got one of the Mitutoyo slide calipers and says they are excellent. As good as the ones he gave me... I don't know why he didn't just ask for them back.

Unfortunately these guys charge like a wounded bull, but most of their stuff can be found elsewhere for much better prices.

https://www.justtools.com.au/mitutoy...-150mm-530-312

Just thought the page might give you some ideas.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 12:21 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

These look almost identical to the Mitutoyo slide calipers but no thumbscrews https://www.totaltools.com.au/46258-...-200mm-118b03z and are 200mm. There's also these with thumbscrews https://www.toolmart.com.au/sp-sp35608.html and https://www.toolmart.com.au/sp-sp35607.html
Old 03-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #14
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Charliewool I don't think any of them meet his criteria:

I think he is going to have to spend over $100. These might be as close as he gets and the exceed his $100 limit.

https://www.toolmart.com.au/sidchrome-scmt26118.html or https://www.toolmart.com.au/sp-sp35621.html
Ok… Firstly, a vernier is purely an “estimation tool” (and to pick steel splinters out of your finger)
You want accuracy, use a micrometer!
Anyone that can read a“window” vernier to within .005” (5 thou) is fooling themselves!
A genuine full scale, say Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown and Sharpe vernier maybe within .002” (depending on your eyesight)
A decent digital vernier (again, Mitutoyo etc.. Good brands!) will also give you .0015-002” accuracy… Battery life is not an issue if you buy GOOD brand that turns itself off…
As a guy that ran a machineshop for 30+ years, and purchased literally 100’s of verniers from 6” to 6ft… I can’t fathom the reasoning behind the original post? “Stainless steel and window”?? Do you require it as a collectors item, or to measure stuff?
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #15
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

usually the auto swapmeet down at the dog training center in southern river warton rd opposite the golf course usually had the odd few turn up for sale
and i feel there should be one coming up soon , think they have a swapmeet around april may

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #16
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Ok… Firstly, a vernier is purely an “estimation tool” (and to pick steel splinters out of your finger)
You want accuracy, use a micrometer!
Anyone that can read a“window” vernier to within .005” (5 thou) is fooling themselves!
A genuine full scale, say Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown and Sharpe vernier maybe within .002” (depending on your eyesight)
A decent digital vernier (again, Mitutoyo etc.. Good brands!) will also give you .0015-002” accuracy… Battery life is not an issue if you buy GOOD brand that turns itself off…
As a guy that ran a machineshop for 30+ years, and purchased literally 100’s of verniers from 6” to 6ft… I can’t fathom the reasoning behind the original post? “Stainless steel and window”?? Do you require it as a collectors item, or to measure stuff?
Jeeze you're overthinking it.
I liked that windowed style, that's all. I found where else to buy them but posted my question in case anyone knows a good deal on a dial one (helps reading in dull light or glare, that's all.)

Only need to measure the difference of things to 0.4mm accurately. I ain't running a machine shop, don't need a micrometer, a mitutoyo brand or prices.

E: a half decent one in stainless will last my lifetime (unlike any plastic, non stainless or digital ones IMO), so I was expanding my budget from ~$30 to around ~$100.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #17
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That windowed one is only accurate to 0.1 of a mm I think, that's all I need so I was showing that as an example of what I was after. Nothing fancy, I just want one at that accuracy, but stainless so it doesn't break or rust.

But, while asking about it I was pondering whether to buy that for ~$30 or up the budget for a dial one that may be easier to read. That's all.