Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-04-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Odd SMS - Missing Person

This dropped a few minutes back.
I was unaware of the approach beforehand:

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/safety...ing_sms_system
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: Odd SMS - Missing Person

Hi. A much smarter idea than printing faces on milk cartons that they tried a few years ago. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got one of those messages a few months ago about a missing woman in our area.

Initial thoughts were SCAM after looking at the number, and did an internet phone number check, and found out it was genuine.

A bit more publicity about these messages would be beneficial as there are so many rubbish texts being received and deleted by the general public who are tired of attempted scam texts.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Like yourself, I was skeptical, and checked the source number.

There’s a misapprehension that we’re all enmeshed in social media to the point we would have been aware of this strategy prior.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Have seen a few of these over the years, Only really goes out in the surrounding suburbs of where the person goes missing, the last 2 I received the people were found miles away after a week or so, they would be better sending it to every suburb in the metro area to get a better result.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I got one of those messages a few months ago about a missing woman in our area.

Initial thoughts were SCAM after looking at the number, and did an internet phone number check, and found out it was genuine.

A bit more publicity about these messages would be beneficial as there are so many rubbish texts being received and deleted by the general public who are tired of attempted scam texts.
Any message with attached link I consider a scam and will delete immediately, without link I consider safe as you can contact any local police quite easy.
I've been shafted once by a very clever scam that looked the real deal.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Odd SMS - Missing Person

I would have dismissed it as a rubbish text and hit delete.
Good idea to share this
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I would have dismissed it as a rubbish text and hit delete.
Good idea to share this
I'd wager you dont find him.
Old 15-04-2022, 06:55 PM   #9
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Received these in our local area in the past, originally thought they were scam, but they are actually genuine. In parallel, the local highway patrol are sitting on the motorway onramp trying to ping somebody doing a speed that is safe for the conditions, yet above the **** poor motorway speed sign. Priorities, right?
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2022, 10:39 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

This sort of targeted notification should be used more in Australia.

2 months ago I was on a tiny island in Philippines. In the middle of the night my phone started blaring with an alarm tone I had never heard before.

It really shocked me and woke me up in a panic. It didn't stop till I stopped it myself.

I woke to find a public alert message on my screen (not a SMS style regular notification) warning of some bad weather coming my way (or similar).

I received 2 or 3. I played with the settings on my phone and found that there is a sort of local alert option I could turn on and off - it was defaulted to on I assume.

In all the times of flood and fire (and I lived in an area of both) we relied on radio, going to Facebook or other sites / apps to get the latest information - nothing localised was sent to us that I could recall in the way it was received in Philippines.

Why isn't this used here more often? Bloody brilliant idea.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #11
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Last week, a police chopper was flying low in circles and making an announcement in our area. Could not work out that it was for a while due to chopper noise.

It was about a missing person with description etc. That was about an old lady with intellectual disability too. It went on for more than 30min.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2022, 03:58 AM   #12
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem is scammers can spoof any number in their texts or calls to you. Our son once received a scam call from his own number and I've had scammers ask for the number of your local police then call me back spoofing that number.
Obviously though for missing persons alerts these SMS work well and are a great idea for enlisting the publics help
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post