Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Default xr5 issues with abs....

Only 8 months old, and it's back in the dealers......
Pulled up in the supermarket today and the abs felt like it come on just as I stopped, didn't think anything of it.
Drove out and the abs & traction control light was on. Car must have been in limp home mode, cause it had near on zero boost, oil temp guage didn't work, trip computer was blank and a few other weird things. Stopped, switched everything off, started again, and the engine light was on also......
Straight down to the dealers. They can't look at it until Tuesday though because it's a long weekend here, so I was lucky enough and they spoilt me with a loner....... a standard auto focus sedan.....

Any other XR5 owners had a similafr issue ?

Will keep you posted on what the outcome is.

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I had the same problem a few months back (twice actually) and it turned out to be a borked abs sensor which is part of the wheel bearing assembly. The second time it played up was actually because when it was first done at Power Ford they didn't clean the hub and bearing components properly and there were metal filings left in there. They didn't replace it the second time as they didn't have the part in stock, they just cleaned it out and its been fine since.

Where abouts are you located?

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
peachey80

Thanks mate,
I'm in Tassie, hopefully it's a simple thing as that. Did yours go into limp home mode ?

Old 13-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Tj-zetec

Yeah, it was a pig to drive. Do you run any mods at all?

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 14-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
peachey80

Nah mate, she is stock as a rock.

Old 14-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Tj-zetec

Ok, cool. It's starting to sound like a relatively common issue and I wasn't sure if it was being brought on by HP mods.

Old 23-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
peachey80

Default Re: xr5 issues with abs....

Got it back finally after over a week of Ford Melbourne send over the wrong part.
Got the info third hand, I wanted to speak directly with the mechanics, but they had gone home I think when I went to pick it up, but apparently the bearing shifted on the stub axel about 1 or 2mm which the abs sensor did not like which is why the lights come on and the abs would actually engage when braking, and as such the whole car went into limp home mode....
The whole wheel bearing assy needed to be replaced with a new one and they are different to a standard focus.

Ford were apparently keen to get the old assy back so they could see what was happening as it has happened to a few of them now.

Anyway, all is good now !!!

Old 23-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Tj-zetec

good to hear mate! (about it being fixed, not about it taking that long)

Funnily enough when I had to wait 4ish weeks for parts for mine to come from Germany (I think they used a carrier pigeon) they didn't offer me a courtesy car or anything making me drive around with the poor car in limp mode for all that time. Considering how much it ******* (sorry "dialed back", silly swear filter) the timing and all the popping and sulphur smell coming from the exhaust makes me wonder if it's shortened the life expectancy of my cat conv.
Meh, it just gives me an excuse to get a hi-flow to replace it

But back on topic, I don't think the brakes were performing quite 100% either :/

Old 25-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
peachey80

Looks like I might be getting another loner for this weekend....
The missus just rang me up saying the dash was saying a power steering failure and the quote 'car doing a skid' unquote light was on and some other lights.......

I hope this is not a sign of things to come... I was planing on this car being a keeper, not a lemon.

Old 25-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Tj-zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
I hope this is not a sign of things to come... I was planing on this car being a keeper, not a lemon.
The likelihood is slim, just remember you don't have to take it to the same dealer you bought it from.

In what may or may not be comforting, the power steering issue doesn't sound related to the abs sensor.

Old 25-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
peachey80

Yeah I know, Thanks mate. Just seems a co-incidence that a week after we got it back... Anyway, they hooked it up, and came up with an alignment issue, reset it and it seems to be fine. And that put it into limp home mode.... Seems as though if you fart to hard in the seat it goes into limp home mode....
Hopefully just a one off electrical hissy fit.

Old 27-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
L42B

I too have had problems with my ABS/ESP system. Although it never went into limp mode. For months the mechanics where stumped. It would do a very strange abs modulator click and, then the brakes would feel strange for about 400m and then go back to normal. At first it was apparently something to do with my left hand wheel assembly. Mine isn't an XR5 though, just a bog standard CL LT '08 sedan. Although this didn't fix all the problems.

I've also had problems with my ESP, this was caused by something strange with the u-joint and drive shaft (it was apparently bent). The head supervisor was nice enough to do a follow up call. The exact reason went slightly over my head, but it did explain why after six months of faults, it spat out an ESP light warning.

Beats me.

Regards, L42B
L42B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post