Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Poor Restraunt Service?

Hey all,

Well Fiance and I decided to head out too dinner for tonight. Thought might as well give our wedding reciption restraunt a taste.

Ring @ 7 to Book for 8pm.. No problems. Rock up at 8.03 Seated and had a Bread and drinks by 8.15pm. While waiting for our drinks we got handed 1 menu to share(they didnt have enough) to work out dinner mains.

8.40 I was already on 2nd beer and we were getting hungry by now and over the waiting not even ordered yet! Another waiter came around and offered more drinks, so we just got a bottle water and I asked if someone will take our main order soon.

9pm Still no one came to take our order, yet they cleaned up a few tables near us and wondered.

So 9.10pm 1hr after being seated we decied to leave. The lady then relise's as we got to pay our $19 bill. So we politey said we had given up and very dissapointed. So they didnt make us pay the $19 in wot we had. I then added will be talking to the manager(Who sold us the recpiton) regarding our booking for the wedding. We then got instant apoligys and asked to sit back down for VIP serivce.

So our dilema is before speaking to the Manager, are we willing to have our reciption there. Still and risk more poor serivce!!! They were not at all busy either in my opinion there was a fair few tables empty!

The restraunt is a popular one and we have only ever heard good ratings. Everyone has a off day! but when we will be speending excess of $6000 i would expect very good service.

any suggestions?

Sorry for the long winded Post :togo:

Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Get a written agreement that all will be good on the Big Day. If its not then you get it for free. You have them by the balls by the sounds of it so use the power. If you post the name of the restaurant on here they may feel pressured to perform. :
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Sounds familiar.. recently I was at a restaurant with family and we were basically ignored, ended up there for 3 hours with our meals continually being forgotten until my dad finally flipped.

Personally I'd go somewhere else, there's plenty of restaurants around and I'm sure you can find another good one easily. It's too much for a risk with an occasion like that. Hopefully they'll learn a lesson from it.
Old 23-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check around mate see whats out there...does'nt sound good.

And as was said get signed agreement..don't know that, that would work ,but,nothing ventured nothing gained.
It is your wedding reception after all and should be good for you.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
42.57lb
Is tuna chicken or fish?

Sounds like a very unusual experience to me mate.

Been in the hospitality game for a while myself and what it sounds like is a gross failure of communication between the floor staff. Realistically it's the job of whoever gave you the menu to be taking the order. Did that person disappear? Because if everyone thought someone else was looking after you then you'd get overlooked for service.

Typically restaurants are broken down into "sections". You would have been seated in a specific person's area of responsibility, which is why other people would be cleaning up around you as they're not allowed to have dirty sections.

I would put it down to more likely that not one member of staff's fault, as well as the floor manager for the evening. I think it's worth chatting to the GM and mentioning your concerns as 6k is as shed load of wedge and it'l likely that if you do chat to the GM you're gonne get SPECTACULAR service on the day.

Word of mouth about restaurants is rarely wrong in my humble opinion, so it sounds like you just had bad luck.

Hope it works out for ya! Keep us posted!
42.57lb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a sign go some where else
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42.57lb
Sounds like a very unusual experience to me mate.

Been in the hospitality game for a while myself and what it sounds like is a gross failure of communication between the floor staff. Realistically it's the job of whoever gave you the menu to be taking the order. Did that person disappear? Because if everyone thought someone else was looking after you then you'd get overlooked for service.

Typically restaurants are broken down into "sections". You would have been seated in a specific person's area of responsibility, which is why other people would be cleaning up around you as they're not allowed to have dirty sections.

I would put it down to more likely that not one member of staff's fault, as well as the floor manager for the evening. I think it's worth chatting to the GM and mentioning your concerns as 6k is as shed load of wedge and it'l likely that if you do chat to the GM you're gonne get SPECTACULAR service on the day.

Word of mouth about restaurants is rarely wrong in my humble opinion, so it sounds like you just had bad luck.

Hope it works out for ya! Keep us posted!

This is what we were hopeing has happened! The lady who booked us in over the phone also seated us, asked us what breads etc and drinks. She went and got a menu. She never came back to our table, she served people around us and others over the way. The other drinks bloke was tops my beers were good!

In total i would guess around 30-40 odd people where there and most seemed to be eating mains already.

Just really dissapointed and we are hoping she may of been New or a slight mistake on whos running the place at that time.

I think we will just have a chat to the manager and see what he says(im sure he wont be happy). We are not out to get anything cheaper or any special treatment, just the serivce they have offered and what we are good $$ for.

Thanks for the other replys already, dam fast :
Old 24-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
XRNIL8

It may just be a big wake up call for the venue also ...... once you actually got service, was it the quality that you expect for your big evening? If if is, take a chance and give them the opportunity to fix their mistakes.

I have had more than my share of restaurant meals and along the way have had a few shockers. Rather than just avoid the venue, I first speak to the manager and try to find the cause of what went wrong and allow him or her to rectify the situation. Very rarely have I actually gotten to the point where I have had to put my foot down and say I am never coming back. (1 venue in Qld, next door to the Humble Pie ;) )

The Manager was right to provide you with VIP service, not just because of your booked reception, but because of the lack of service you had originally received. Congrats to him or her for making the effort to earn your business.

Good luck with your day and evening, I am sure it will turn out to be well worth the effort and your future Minister for finance and war will love it too .....

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Milk them for a freebie, to prove their worth.

Truth is, you won't care about the wedding meals, its all about the atmosphere and the grog, which you said was 'great'!

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #10
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before calling it all off and going elsewhere, why not head back next weekend to give them one last chance. It may well have been a one off. Go back and make sure.

Let us know how it goes!

Either way I would still be raising my concerns with the owner.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all replys! sounds like lots of people have alot of poor service.

I am hopeing one off and will go again (undercover hahah) I was happy with my breashuctte bread (bad spelling)!

Will be calling the manager later today to let him know, Even if we didnt have a wedding planed there. I still would talk to the GM just for there own feedback. Im sure he wont be happy he lost a $100 odd sale last night.

I usually try to be tollerante but i think 1hour of waiting before we are even asked for our mains is not good. Hopefully just the 1 slip up.

Will let you know what comes out of talking to him later today !!!

cheers!
Old 24-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I can beleive you were so patient! If I havent ordered when I am ready I would tell them I am ready or I would leave. I wouldnt return and tell as many not to go as possible. Such as that "Hogs" place!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well had a chat ot the GM, He really didnt have much to say other than it has never happened. He did say come for dinner tonight and ill fix it up. I said no thanks not after special treatment, I said ill be back down sometime and if it happens again the we will can the whole recption off. He said Yes again, and apoligised and that was it.

I guess we will see, we have a few other friends will try as well over the next few weeks and that we will see what they think too.

Hopefully just a 1 off!
Old 25-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should re-read your posts above which all include bad spelling! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
Thanks all replys! sounds like lots of people have alot of poor service.

I am hopeing one off and will go again (undercover hahah) I was happy with my breashuctte bread (bad spelling)!

cheers!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post