Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Mickus
Banned

Default Guitarists

Hey all, Im just starting out to play guitar, can just play smoke on the water at the moment, I was wondering if any of the experienced guitar players here can give me any advice and the best way to start learning?

Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

The way I learnt was just get the tab to every song you here, and learn it.
I have around 10 folders of 100 pages each of tab, if I heard a song, even if it wasnt that good, Id grab the tab and learn it.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
Snakey Jake
Banned

Go to www.justinguitars.com, he's really good beginner to advance lessons check it out i've learnt heaps of great songs from his web site & he has a forum page as well so you can request songs that you might want to learn & talk to some other excellent guitar players too hope this helps mate.
Snakey Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
astr0boy7
Starter Motor

yea man tabs are the way to go when you start... much easier than learning notes... and if u get the guitarist magazines they have some great lessons....

im learning some rolling stones at the moment
astr0boy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
juksta
fully sick ED owner

definitely start out by learning all the basic chords. a good website to use for this is
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php
which allows you to choose the chord you want to learn, then not only does it show the fingering for that chord but also lets you click a button to strum a virtual guitar which will show you the correct sound of that chord. this is good because it lets you know if you are playing the right thing.

and as everyone else has said tabs are the way to go, the most easy way to start learning guitar and the songs you want. i prefer using http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

also you will find that often there are virtual lessons that people put on youtube of how to play certain songs which may help you out a bit. but if all else fails then all i can suggest is get a few lessons of a professional to learn the basics and get you up and going.

good luck with it!

cheers
juksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Use tab to get the hang of riffs etc but once you have the general idea focus on learning by ear - if you can train your ear to listen and get it sounding right, you will find it a hell of a lot easier to pick up new songs and play in general.
Old 13-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
muppet

Yeah get some lessons , I teach guitar and one thing all my students say is "I got the guitar pack with the dvd and I still couldn't work out how to do it properly". It's a lot easier when someone can watch you and show you what you are doing wrong.
my next piece of advice is practice practice practice , start slow and make shore you fret all the notes properly.
Old 13-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending on how far you want to go. if its just something you want to pick up and play then go tabs. if you want to write your own music, and learn how to play by ear (you'll need scales and notes for this) then get lessons. they dont cost much and atleast you have someone who knows what they are doing showing you how to play
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

I learned guitar purely by tabs and ear. Some people can do this and some cant. You don't need lessons or to read music to be a great guitar player.

Just learn your favorite songs via tabs, then you will soon see the trends (Scales and keys) which are used. The major scale with solo work is the minor pentatonic scale (Used in every Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin song), then go on to the major scale (Metallica, Dire Straights....).

Once you slowly work your way up, you will soon find yourself learning songs by ear. It usually takes a few years to get to that point, but its well worth it for the chics and the party tricks ;)
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Practice, practice, practice... your teaching your fingers, hands and ears to all work together. Oh yeah, it won't be long before your have grooves in your fingers tips from the strings, so dip them in metho or similar to help harden them up - it might sound dumb, but the reason you'll stop practicing is 'cause your fingers will be so sore.
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
I learned guitar purely by tabs and ear. Some people can do this and some cant. You don't need lessons or to read music to be a great guitar player.

Just learn your favorite songs via tabs, then you will soon see the trends (Scales and keys) which are used. The major scale with solo work is the minor pentatonic scale (Used in every Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin song), then go on to the major scale (Metallica, Dire Straights....).

Once you slowly work your way up, you will soon find yourself learning songs by ear. It usually takes a few years to get to that point, but its well worth it for the chics and the party tricks ;)
This is what I done, although I am a Bass player. I tried having lessons about 5 years ago (been playing 8) and was treated like an idiot, and only ended up going twice. Its amazing, I have so many arguments with people who say Bass is the easiest instrument in the world, but have never picked one up, it might be easy to learn the fundamentals, but when you start learning stuff like Jaco Pastorious and Victor Wooten, it is just as hard as guitar. Try two handed tapping on huge fat .105 strings, lol, you need strong fingers. :togo:
Old 14-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Mickus
Banned

thanks for the help guys, I think ill try get into some tabs, i can sorta read them properly, not to sure on how hammer ons and pull off and all those things work though..
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
rick'o
Car Slut

Train your ear, steal everything from every player you love...play it over and over...develop your own style but, most importantly, learn to read music.

R
rick'o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Agreed.

I have never had a lesson in my life, now I am in a money earning band. Pretty good feeling to earn money for something you love doing.

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #15
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep practicing, every day. Your fingers will burn very quickly, but keep at it. I learnt how to play basic guitar, but I went on to learn bass. Once you've learnt to play guitar, try picking up a bass and having a play around. I found it was really good to broaded my scope, and I ended up liking bass more. It helps to have other musos around, even if they're also only learning. If theres a few different guitars and basses around, pick them up and have a go. Just make sure you keep practicing, in any form, keep playing. It can be awesome fun to sit around having a jam session, even if you're only new to playing. I formed a little "band" with a few mates just playing around when we'd had a few drinks. We ended up writing some really awesome songs, just a pitty I havent seen some of them in ages.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #16
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
This is what I done, although I am a Bass player. I tried having lessons about 5 years ago (been playing 8) and was treated like an idiot, and only ended up going twice. Its amazing, I have so many arguments with people who say Bass is the easiest instrument in the world, but have never picked one up, it might be easy to learn the fundamentals, but when you start learning stuff like Jaco Pastorious and Victor Wooten, it is just as hard as guitar. Try two handed tapping on huge fat .105 strings, lol, you need strong fingers. :togo:
Yeh theres no way Bass is that easy. I mean, frets are wider, strings require more force from your fingers to be hard pressed... People generally assume because it has less strings its easier. Simply not the case..

Just watch one of Cliff Burtons solo's from the 80s and one will see that bass players have skill. Then take a look at Iron Maiden, and how their Bass player (Steve Harris) wrote 90% of their songs... Including the guitar pieces.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

get lessons for a start. then after you pick things up, and know what you are doing then move off and just learn songs!
Old 14-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

I just started about 6 months ago too, I got two terms of lessons, I am having a term off but I am getting there. I have learned to play Red Gum's Only Nineteen, bit of a weird song to learn straight up but it is fairly easy. I can scan some of my stuff and email it too you if you like. It is all beginner stuff.
Old 14-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Try to learn how i did, chuck the radio on Gold 104.3FM (if you can get it up that way) or put on random CD's then play along with it.
It's the best way to develop your own "flavour" and way of playing/learning i found, I never had lessons.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
get lessons for a start. then after you pick things up, and know what you are doing then move off and just learn songs!
Don;t waste your time and money on lessons until you know that you are going to stick with playing and you know that you enjoy learning to play.

As sfr_rob said, if you learn yourself, you will develop your own style of playing, rather than being shown someone else's style.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #21
muppet

All this talk about dont worry about lessons is all well and good. But I personally have seen too many people that have bought guitars thinking that they will just teach them selves. Only to find out it's harder than it looks so they put the guitar under the bed and leave it there for a year or two. Then they come to me (a guitar teacher) and I show them a few things and they go "oh that's how you are meant to do it".
I have nothing against people that teach them selves , good on them. But I would bet that at some stage someone actually showed them a few things. When someone shows you something and watches how you try to do it and picks up on the small things you are doing wrong. Then you learn a lot quicker than if you try and nut it out for you're self and teach you're self bad habits.
Finding the right teacher is the key , there is no use going to a teacher that only does Elvis if you want to learn Cannible Corpse. It all depends on how serious you are , if you just want to muck around with it then don't bother with lessons . But if you think you may want to take it further then I would be looking at finding a teacher that plays the music you want to play and can teach you scales , modes and proper technique . Proper technique is the only way to get fast and be able to play solos without thinking (too much lol).
If you want to hear what learning scales and proper technique can do for you then this is my myspace
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=161824123
and the solo on it is just me testing my wha pedal . Its all one take off the top of my head.
Old 15-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Have to agree with muppet there.. I'm 22 and got my first guitar for my 8th birthday. I've had a few times where I've stopped playing for prolonged periods of time and I must say, without ego, that I am a fairly decent player.

In saying that, I wouldn't be a decent player if I had never even had a teacher. Not to mention that my teachers were average so I never really became as good as I should have, but without having a teacher to drop random theory tidbits and tricks you'd never really learn unless you were a born guitarist - something which alot of people clearly aren't.

I've tought people over time just for a little fun, those who wanted to have a play around with my guitar and show them a few things, and some people clearly need a lot more assistance than just listening to a radio.

I recommend those JustinGuitar videos as well. I recently picked up my guitar again a month or two ago after not playing for a good 2 years and played around a bit with MattyB (another mate who I've been giving pointers to) and I sat watching Justin teach how to play Wish you were here by Pink Floyd and I picked it up as fast as he was teaching it. I've always responded to learning by sitting in front of a teacher who says "Here, do this.." and I follow.

At the end of the day, everyone has different learning styles. If you're that savvy that you can pick up a guitar and listen to the radio and pick it up that's great. But if you can't, don't just give in on account of it being hard if you haven't sat down and had a good few lessons with an experienced teacher.
Old 15-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Practice until you get blisters.
do this every day.

I cheated by starting in TAB.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
XWGT