Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #151
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
I tend to agree but obviously, you, I and a large cohort here are looking more often at performance based. Interested to hear more about your AMG. ..
Don’t want to go too OT topic here but I did have some strong criteria.

It had to be quick and fast
I didn’t want FWD
It had to have a high quality interior
Needed a bold exterior presence
It had to be quick and fast ( did I mention that already .. lol )
Had to be the halo model of that model range.
It had to be quick and fast.....

Anyways, after jumping in and out of a number of hot hatches ( Audi , Merc , Megane RS , Golf R ) The A45 ticked the most boxes for me.
No regrets and no looking back. It’s a ball tearer in an Armani suit.

As a second choice, the RS3. That Straight 5 engine sound was a delight but the interior fleet like an afterthought. The Golf R was a nice package all round but felt a bit soft and underdone and felt like driving the A45 or RS3 with the handbrake on...

I never thought of going CIVIC Type R , as i just couldn’t live with the look of it. Smashed crab bouillabaisse ....

The Hyundai i30N was perhaps a missed opportunity. I just couldn’t connect with it at all so gave it a miss altogether. My bad perhaps and I reckon a good dose of badge snobbery has blinkered me... I like underdogs and I’ll be following the i30N model evolution with interest.

For now it’s AMG badge snobbery at its finest and yes 100 lashes on the back for me admitting that but geez they do make some fine cars.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #152
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey-AMG View Post
Don’t want to go too OT topic here but I did have some strong criteria.

It had to be quick and fast
I didn’t want FWD
It had to have a high quality interior
Needed a bold exterior presence
It had to be quick and fast ( did I mention that already .. lol )
Had to be the halo model of that model range.
It had to be quick and fast.....

Anyways, after jumping in and out of a number of hot hatches ( Audi , Merc , Megane RS , Golf R ) The A45 ticked the most boxes for me.
No regrets and no looking back. It’s a ball tearer in an Armani suit.

As a second choice, the RS3. That Straight 5 engine sound was a delight but the interior fleet like an afterthought. The Golf R was a nice package all round but felt a bit soft and underdone and felt like driving the A45 or RS3 with the handbrake on...

I never thought of going CIVIC Type R , as i just couldn’t live with the look of it. Smashed crab bouillabaisse ....

The Hyundai i30N was perhaps a missed opportunity. I just couldn’t connect with it at all so gave it a miss altogether. My bad perhaps and I reckon a good dose of badge snobbery has blinkered me... I like underdogs and I’ll be following the i30N model evolution with interest.

For now it’s AMG badge snobbery at its finest and yes 100 lashes on the back for me admitting that but geez they do make some fine cars.

AMG have been on a roll the last few years... the a45, c63s is awesome and I went for a run (passenger) in a new e63s which just blew me away... GT63S is my dream daily...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #153
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
From a caradvice article:
Luc Donkerwolke WAS the Chief of design for Genesis/Hyundai/Kia.

He's left the business , citing no reasons- I think a lot of his designs were polarizing and he was punted to be honest.

Hyundai and Genesis is now lead by SangYup Lee (ex GM, VW and Bentley)

Whilst Kia is now lead by Karim Habib (ex BMW and Infinity).
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #154
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey-AMG View Post
I see nothing wrong with your decision, its what fit best based on your criteria. Its only snobbery if you never considered other cars. Thanks for the input. It sounds like the i30N wasn't for you. Interested you didn't try the stinger. Although assuming because its not a hatch it was never put in the mix. What year A45 did you go for? I was surprised to see 2015's at decent price point but for a 2017(?) facelift you'd need to up your budget considerably.

With hot hatches, Kia and the like considered; what is a deterrent for me looking closer at an AMG A45is cost of servicing and the 7.5hr drive to get it in Adelaide living far west coast. With a Hyundai, VW, ford and Kia dealer in town keeps the i30N, stinger, RS and gti R in the mix. Few late model Mercs and audis in town though. Wonder if there's a local doing euro?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #155
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was trying to decide on a Stinger or a Mustang but when i saw my Twister Orange GT with shadow pack in show room i knew that was the one.

I always wanted a car with a sun-roof and all the options the Stinger had for the price was a good deal, but i stuck with the Mustang, still gets the looks after 6months and that includes from me..
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #156
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with your decision, its what fit best based on your criteria. Its only snobbery if you never considered other cars. Thanks for the input. It sounds like the i30N wasn't for you. Interested you didn't try the stinger. Although assuming because its not a hatch it was never put in the mix. What year A45 did you go for? I was surprised to see 2015's at decent price point but for a 2017(?) facelift you'd need to up your budget considerably.

With hot hatches, Kia and the like considered; what is a deterrent for me looking closer at an AMG A45is cost of servicing and the 7.5hr drive to get it in Adelaide living far west coast. With a Hyundai, VW, ford and Kia dealer in town keeps the i30N, stinger, RS and gti R in the mix. Few late model Mercs and audis in town though. Wonder if there's a local doing euro?
Stinger wasn’t in the hunt. Wasn’t looking to replace a large sedan with another medium “soft sport” sedan. I’m sure it’s a good thing but didn’t fit in with my replacement vision.

As with all performance cars, servicing, parts and fuel are all at exaggerated prices. You play you pay ! The AMG is a late 2017 almost 2018 model. ( they call it the facelift )
Brakes on these things are a regular replacement item, but I’m used to paying big $$ as the BF GT had Brembos all round and also used to chew through brakes.
It has 1 capped service left and thankfully still has over 4 months of factory warranty left which will allow me to properly investigate any driveline and sundry issues before I’m on my own.....

For the most part if it isn’t regularly tracked or abused with daily launch control shinanigans.... I don’t expect it to cause too many dramas. I’ll see how I go as the drive experience and it’s ability to slingshot itself everywhere Faster than the corona virus is addictive.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
5 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #157
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulXR50 View Post
I was trying to decide on a Stinger or a Mustang but when i saw my Twister Orange GT with shadow pack in show room i knew that was the one.

I always wanted a car with a sun-roof and all the options the Stinger had for the price was a good deal, but i stuck with the Mustang, still gets the looks after 6months and that includes from me..
I'd prefer (just) a Mustang over a Stinger but at that price no way could I afford to run two (decent) cars.

It's a bit in-between albeit I can definitely see the appeal but for me it simply isn't useful.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #158
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I'd prefer (just) a Mustang over a Stinger but at that price no way could I afford to run two (decent) cars.

It's a bit in-between albeit I can definitely see the appeal but for me it simply isn't useful.
For me, without stepping in either, Stinger would be more attractive with a manual option. I'm sure it drives more efficiently and handles better with an auto though.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #159
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
For me, without stepping in either, Stinger would be more attractive with a manual option. I'm sure it drives more efficiently and handles better with an auto though.
I've driven a Mustang but not the Stinger.

Was great but not as sharp as I thought. I guess why the Yanks have the higher models for someone who wants that. (I would)

A poster earlier said the Stinger more a cruiser than sports car so I suspect another step softer than the Mustangs.

I won't buy one but I'm now intrigued about the i30N now off reviews here! Might have to test one.....
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #160
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been reading about the RS's again. Damn I want one. I just fear id regret its after 6mths ill have a crook back from the firm suspension and regret daily-ing in a town which is one big slope.
In keeping with the OP, maybe this is Kia's chance to beef the Cerato and be well priced performance hatch challenger? That I may be interested in. If the i30N had less excel looking interior and maybe AWD (although that would probs mean another 10k) I reckon it would be hard to top.

Current
Previous

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 19-06-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 19-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #161
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've been reading about the RS's again. Damn I want one. I just fear id regret its after 6mths ill have a crook back from the firm suspension and regret daily-ing in a town which is one big slope.
In keeping with the OP, maybe this is Kia's chance to beef the Cerato and be well priced performance hatch challenger? That I may be interested in. If the i30N had less excel looking interior and maybe AWD (although that would probs mean another 10k) I reckon it would be hard to top.
An excel looking interior? There is zero resemblance...
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #162
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Would I buy one.
Dead set I would.
Missus has an i30, I know Hyundai. Same same
Hers cpl years newer.

My 2011 falcon has 4 times the rattles

I'd own a stinger hands down
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #163
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
An excel looking interior? There is zero resemblance...
Yep a pretty poor comparison
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #164
MercuryT
Banned

Just looked it up.

Yeah interior looks fine for the price. Maybe different in person.

It's the exterior I have major issues with not the car quality itself
Old 19-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #165
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mum is looking for a replacement for her Cruze. She was looking at Corollas which would still be an upgrade.

I made sure to say to consider the Cerato and i30. I also threw the Focus in there but she is sure she will never buy another Ford or Holden (Opel) again. I forgot about the 3.

She actually took a Focus for a test drive before she bought the Cruze but it was terrible.

I already told her that they sorted the auto issues with the Focus a while back but that goes to show you how bad it was.

I think maybe the Focus and 3 might be a bit more than what she'd want to pay anyway.
Old 19-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #166
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
My mum is looking for a replacement for her Cruze. She was looking at Corollas which would still be an upgrade.

I made sure to say to consider the Cerato and i30. I also threw the Focus in there but she is sure she will never buy another Ford or Holden (Opel) again. I forgot about the 3.

She actually took a Focus for a test drive before she bought the Cruze but it was terrible.

I already told her that they sorted the auto issues with the Focus a while back but that goes to show you how bad it was.

I think maybe the Focus and 3 might be a bit more than what she'd want to pay anyway.
Throw the i30 in as well. They truly are a nice car. We bought an i30 as we preferred the interior (only talking base models here) and the i30 also had the more powerful 2L over the Cerato. It seems kias miss out on some features here and there compared with Hyundai.
Old 19-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #167
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Throw the i30 in as well. They truly are a nice car. We bought an i30 as we preferred the interior (only talking base models here) and the i30 also had the more powerful 2L over the Cerato. It seems kias miss out on some features here and there compared with Hyundai.
You're on Friday's. It literally says i30 in your quote of my post
Old 19-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #168
MercuryT
Banned

Might take a Stinger tomorrow.

What's the deal on test drives?

Business as usual or do you need to prove a negative Covid or similar?
Old 19-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #169
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'd say they just clean the high touch surfaces. Test would be overkill

Maybe they will make you wear gloves and/or a mask. They've been selling and servicing cars all this time after all.
Old 19-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #170
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're on Friday's. It literally says i30 in your quote of my post
God I wish I was on Friday’s.

Sorry about that mis read
Old 19-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #171
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
I'd say they just clean the high touch surfaces. Test would be overkill

Maybe they will make you wear gloves and/or a mask. They've been selling and servicing cars all this time after all.
Thanks mate. I wasn't sure if there was standard protocol like washing hands etc or if it's elevated for cars which is obviously very hands on etc.
Old 20-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #172
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was at Hyundai last week test driving Santa Fe's. Main differences from pre covid test driving is the fact someone did a wipe over of the main surfaces with wipes and no one came with me on the drive. You shouldn't have a problem mate...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #173
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

i30N interior is nothing like old day hundais- it was all new tech and finish to me.
Seats are great by the way.
Wish I tested a Stinger - it’s size could have ticked my box’s.
Picking up my new daily today.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #174
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, Kia Stinger GT. The new KIA Sorrento looks quite appealing as well.
Old 21-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #175
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Yep, Kia Stinger GT. The new KIA Sorrento looks quite appealing as well.
New Sorento is going to be a best seller. Interior is amazing, mood lighting, blind spot and lane changing camera displayed in the dash, increased towing capacity, decent output from the diesel engine.

The thing apparently even parks itself, pulling in and out of spots while the driver is watching from the outside.

7yr warranty, more interior space etc etc etc etc

Watch them fly out the door once they get decent numbers and advertise the tripe out of it.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #176
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The brand is growing quickly here as apparently well built, reliable, and importantly excellent warranty.
I don't care if it's objectively the best car in the world.

I still wouldn't buy one.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #177
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee these coals hurt!
Maybe excel is a poor analogy. But let me explain. The price I guess is indicative of what you get - its a good package for performance in a hatch with its warranty and seemingly capabilities. Looking at the interior i.e. arm, window switches, console and even seats (not the bolstering) is very resembling of a what you'd expect from a Hyundai. Given its direct competition which is largely euro spec and comparative interiors (thinking GTI R etc) albeit at a higher cost or new vs 2nd hand pricing, I thinks its the only visually thing that lets it down. It wasn't a reflection of the cars overall package because I think what it offers for the price is very competitive. For 42k+ I would struggle to not purchase an RS or GTI R especially for the performance blue with subtle red in the black lip. As I said I haven't stepped in one but waiting the opportunity.

May I have that ice bath now...

FYI. Ill see what this demo stinger is like. Looking forward to that.

Current
Previous

4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #178
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the interest of the OP, I saw a lady lady leaving work today, probably early 60’s with a stinger. I asked her if she liked it. She said she loves it and traded a 2019 A45 AMG for it.

Current
Previous

2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #179
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In the interest of the OP, I saw a lady lady leaving work today, probably early 60’s with a stinger. I asked her if she liked it. She said she loves it and traded a 2019 A45 AMG for it.
Probably got sick of the over the top servicing costs that the Euros seem to attract
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #180
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
That’s understandable...
The A45 is not a comfortable day to day proposition.
It’s pretty hard edged and track focused. Even in C mode for comfort it’s the equivalent of Sport+ in a Golf R. It just feels like it’s pulling on the leash all the time.

It won’t be for everyone that’s for sure and I’m sure the stinger is a much more comfortable cruiser with a better long term warranty.

Think Jack Russel v Labrador....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
4 users like this post: