Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
anarchyok

Default Auto Trans Leaking

Hey guys, a week after dropping some cash to get new front pads, and a left front bearing, the auto trans, which has never given a lick of trouble, has started to leak a small pool of oil. Is my amateur diagnosis of either a loose screw holding the pan on the bottom of the trans housing, or the seal on the money?

What kinda of cost should I expect for a new seal and auto service?? Is it an easy part to fit with a little know-how?

Old 25-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wheres the oil coming from ?

front,back or middle ?
Old 25-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
anarchyok

Its coming from the front of the pan section which is at rear of the gearbox...does that make sense?
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to transmissions.
Old 25-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be a loose bolt,bugered gasket or seal,best to get it looked at.
Old 26-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

If its just the sump gasket at which you'd give it a service anyway then it shouldn't be about a bit over $100 i'd think.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends if you can do it yourself or not,most transmission services are 120 or more.
Old 26-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
anarchyok

no worries, cheers guys. looks like its the seal, so i'll get it serviced asap...might chuck a pic up tomorrow if I get a chance...
Old 26-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

There's a decent thread that was originally posted in by one of the Territory guys for diagnosing 4-speed auto (BTR/ION) issues with a ton of pics.

There's a number of things to look for when it comes to leaks with the autos.

The main leaks I have seen either comes from the side, rear or top of the box ... I haven't seen a front leak before though (unless it isn't coming from the auto and is spraying back onto the auto ... from say the steering rack .. which has a similar looking fluid too).

If it is the pan gasket though ... you might be lucky ... try tightening it and cleaning the area and see if it continues ... if it does continue ... just get a trans service done (as you get a new pan gasket and filter in the service kit. It never hurts to give the auto regular servicing anyway (as they are usually neglected and fail prematurely from lack of servicing).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyok
Hey guys, a week after dropping some cash to get new front pads, and a left front bearing, the auto trans, which has never given a lick of trouble, has started to leak a small pool of oil. Is my amateur diagnosis of either a loose screw holding the pan on the bottom of the trans housing, or the seal on the money?

What kinda of cost should I expect for a new seal and auto service?? Is it an easy part to fit with a little know-how?
Does it have a dipstick ?
might be the seal , I suggest you degrease the pan and box and take a short drive then jack onto stands and check again , with luck you will find the source and fix it quickly , either way it needs fixing before damage occurs .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

No dipstick with AU's. I'm thinking it's the rear main seal. Something at the top of the 'to fix' list. Shouldn't be more than $120-150 in cost.
Old 26-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

assuming its possible for him to do it himself,if not the labor alone will be around the 200 mark as the transmission and drive plate have to be removed to get to the seal.