Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The worst respray job ever?

I've never seen a repair job quite this bad before. Absolutely shocking:

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/ca....jpg?width=555

http://www.carsales.com.au/Gallery.a...1&TabId=304744

It's almost as if the panel beater just couldn't be bothered. If there are any panel beaters reading this, please tell me this kind of thing doesn't happen too often!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Default Re: The worst respray job ever?

Lol its not the worse ive seen. My xr8 is going in again today so the spray painter can have another go. 4th time lucky!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Er ummm... not sure i really follow here?

How do you know it was a repair job by panel beater to start with?
The rest of the car is badly faded.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Er ummm... not sure i really follow here?

How do you know it was a repair job by panel beater to start with?
The rest of the car is badly faded.
Because the front bumper looks brand-new, and has obviously been recently painted.

If you are suggesting that the bumper may have been bought from a wrecker - I doubt it. For one, any car that has been completely written off, is unlikely to have a perfectly intact front bumper (unless it was a really bad rear collision). That red colour was also fairly rare and even then, finding one in such good condition (not faded) even rarer.

Last edited by MrZ; 05-03-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So because the front bar is freshly painted to the paint code on the I.D plate, & the rest of the car is faded, that is the panel beaters fault?

Did you expect that the rest of the car be painted for free?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I'd say it's not a respray, rather it's just severe oxidation of those panels. Typical Honda single-stage paint finish (ie no clearcoat) - the red turns pink over time as the sun dries out the top layer of paint.

The rear bumper also has severe watermarking.

The front bumper may have been replaced at some stage more recently in the car's life...or maybe Honda get their plastic bumpers clear-coated...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
So because the front bar is freshly painted to the paint code on the I.D plate, & the rest of the car is faded, that is the panel beaters fault?

Did you expect that the rest of the car be painted for free?
Absolutely the panel beater's fault. They should have colour matched it to the rest of the car. If it was an insurance job, and my car, I would *not* be paying the excess after seeing the job they did.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
Absolutely the panel beater's fault. They should have colour matched it to the rest of the car. If it was an insurance job, and my car, I would *not* be paying the excess after seeing the job they did.
You're kidding...

Assuming that the car is faded due to paint damage from the effects of the sun combined with neglect from the owner...which the more I see those photos, the more and more I'm confident that's the case...

The panel beater may well have repainted the front bumper in the colour the car is supposed to be...there's no way they can colour-match an oxidised & faded red/pink tone...definitely not their issue if the owner doesn't look after the paintwork properly...they are just supposed to repaint any repaired parts in the (factory) colour that the car actually is!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
You're kidding...

Assuming that the car is faded due to paint damage from the effects of the sun combined with neglect from the owner...which the more I see those photos, the more and more I'm confident that's the case...

The panel beater may well have repainted the front bumper in the colour the car is supposed to be...there's no way they can colour-match an oxidised & faded red/pink tone...definitely not their issue if the owner doesn't look after the paintwork properly...they are just supposed to repaint any repaired parts in the (factory) colour that the car actually is!
Er, no, a panel beater's job is to match whatever area is being resprayed, to the rest of the car. In this case they did a terrible job.

Also, that Honda red colour does actually have a clearcoat. The car is only 12 years old. The colour is known as Milano Red, it's Honda's oldest paint colour - first introduced in the late 80s on the Integra, and still available today. All Hondas have had clearcoats since the 80s - you think a 2000 Civic wouldn't have one?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
66GT

Is the car is some random you found on a for sale website and are offering your opinion based on the pictures alone?

If you know the car or spoken to the owner, then ok. Is it possible that the car had minor front damage and the owner purchased a similar coloured red replacement bumper and fitted it, or maybe a few other options as to what has occured? Therefore allowing for the faded paint on most of the car and non matching shiny bumper.

I also don't understand how this is the worst paint job ever. To me the paint job on the bumper seams quite respectful.

The worst paint job I've ever seen was a brush painted type 3 VW wagon, it looked like several different coloured paints were poured (not mixed) together, then the entire car was painted. Yes all lights, windows. mirrors, number plates & even the tyres. The guy drove it around for awhile after he scraped about an a4 size section from the windscreen. Don't know what happened to it after that.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Er, no, a panel beater's job is to match whatever area is being resprayed, to the rest of the car. In this case they did a terrible job.

Also, to the person who said the paint is single layer - this is untrue. Do you think a car from 12 years ago would not have a clearcoat? Of course Honda's red paint has a clearcoat. The colour is known as Milano Red, it's Honda's oldest paint colour - first introduced in the late 80s on the Integra, and still available today.
4 points

1. Most solid colours (no metallics) are usually sprayed as a single layer instead of clear over base

2. The fade on that car shows the paint wasn't clear over base, as the solid colour has gone chalky and lost its gloss...wont happen with clear.

3. You can only go so far, yes you couldget the colour to look the same and add a matting agent to the colour...but then if the owner polished/buffed up the car the bar would be different again.

4. Insurance companies draw the line aswell

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:

Also, to the person who said the paint is single layer - this is untrue. Do you think a car from 12 years ago would not have a clearcoat? Of course Honda's red paint has a clearcoat. The colour is known as Milano Red, it's Honda's oldest paint colour - first introduced in the late 80s on the Integra, and still available today.
Well if you can paint-match an oxidised faded red colour, then you're already better than most!

And I detail vehicles for a living so I see this problem a fair bit, but hey what would I know...I'm guessing that 2009 XR6T I had in last week didn't have a single stage Vixen Red finish on the bonnet, and none of my buffing pads turned red...

And I'm guessing this '97 Corolla I worked on last year didn't have single stage red paint either - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5836905&type=3

As far as Milano Red - even from just a Google search there seems to be some confusion as to whether it's a single stage or a clearcoat...however in my professional experience, the paint defects in those photos generally don't happen to properly clearcoated vehicles...but whatever.

What I do know is that if I polished the rest of that Civic, it would look like the bumper.

EDIT - From some quick research, it seems that Milano Red has a clearcoat, but that it's so thin it may as well not be there, as a lot of owners are having these issues...the clear is so thin it is unable to protect from UV exposure which promotes the fading effect. Essentially the same as single-stage paint.

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 05-03-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
prasac
Banned

to get a job, panel shops need to give low quotes, insurance companies make it difficult these days as usually the lowest quote wins so the shops are forced to cut corners, rush etc. it could take 20-30mins to do a colour match, in that time the bonnet could have already been painted. then again he could just be a bad spray painter
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
to get a job, panel shops need to give low quotes, insurance companies make it difficult these days as usually the lowest quote wins so the shops are forced to cut corners, rush etc. it could take 20-30mins to do a colour match, in that time the bonnet could have already been painted. then again he could just be a bad spray painter
No, no, no, no...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Well if you can paint-match an oxidised faded red colour, then you're already better than most!

And I detail vehicles for a living so I see this problem a fair bit, but hey what would I know...I'm guessing that 2009 XR6T I had in last week didn't have a single stage Vixen Red finish on the bonnet, and none of my buffing pads turned red...

And I'm guessing this '97 Corolla I worked on last year didn't have single stage red paint either - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5836905&type=3
Both of the vehicles you mention are Australian built, so it doesn't surprise me at all. The Australian factories are probably using prehistoric paint shops (well, Altona is a fairly new plant so that red surprises me).

Anyway, that is a nice job on the Corolla, but one has to ask - why bother? It's a 15 year old and worth next to nothing - it's not even automatic!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
No, no, no, no...
brother works in a panel shop, i talk to him, his boss etc. it might be different where your from, but in the Blacktown area where there is heaps of panel shops that's how it is done. though, some places do get priority even if they are a little dearer. the place my brother works hardly has any jobs knocked back and always finish on time, so even sometimes if they are a couple hundred dearer they get the job. for colour matching the boss gives them 30mins. i have looked at a few of the job sheets, it has the time it should take to do each specific job etc on it.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
How do you colour match faded paint?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Anyway, that is a nice job on the Corolla, but one has to ask - why bother? It's a 15 year old and worth next to nothing - it's not even automatic!
Thankyou for the kind words - as far as why...because the customer asked me to do it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not many beaters used to paint when i was in the game. Maybe you should rephrase it to "painters fault".
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes paitners should be colour matching to faded paint.... not the paint code on the car... of course... how silly of me.

I'll have some faded white for my car please. Whats the paint code? Dunno.. just best guess it....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
No, no, no, no...
Yes,yes,yes.

Alot of places work together,one overquotes for him then the other does the same down the track.Been going on for years.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

it might even have been a DIY job by the owner.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've never seen a repair job quite this bad before. Absolutely shocking:

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/ca....jpg?width=555

http://www.carsales.com.au/Gallery.a...1&TabId=304744

It's almost as if the panel beater just couldn't be bothered. If there are any panel beaters reading this, please tell me this kind of thing doesn't happen too often!
have`nt been around much have you.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Unless the OP has seen this car in the flesh, I'd say it could well be a case of optical illusions?
Yes the car has a less than perfect paint job, but look at all the photos in his second link. It's likely just the angle & lighting the photos taken at. On the 1st photo, yes the bumper looks way redder than the bonnet, but under the right headlight it looks pink, on the second photo, under the left headlight looks pink (not much different to the bonnet & tailgate), but it's red again on the right side (same in revers on photo 1), also the right door looks a different colour from the back right panel in photo 4, but doesn't look much different in photo 1. The bumper also has a more flat colour to it, where the side of the car (photo 2) has quite a depth to it in the polish, this could also be giving it a optical illusion of being a different, lighter colour?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
So it's not at all possible that the seller just bought a red bumper from a wreckers and fitted it??
Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carsales picture police.....
Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly - I'm not affiliated nor have any interest in the car mentioned in this thread.

But what is the ultimate aim of this thread? I can hardly see it as encouraging or even helpful.. or even asking a question?

IMO it has no point.

There's no description with the add to substantiate any claims that:

1. A panel beater was involved.
2. The said panel beater did a bad job.
3. A spray painter was involved.
4. The said spay painter did a bad job.

Unless the OP has additional information from somewhere other than the first post, or had the work done on a car that they own themselves; there's a heap of unproven supposition. After reading the thread, it appears the only thing it was posted for was to have an almighty whinge session.

There's lots of reasons why a bumper can be a different shade or colour.

Why immediately assume the most negative possibility? There could be a reasonable explaination why the bumper is different and some of them have been mentioned above. If it's not your car - mind your own business and quit whinging and whining about something that doesn't have anything to do with you.

Last edited by lilmattie; 05-03-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EDIT: Just looks like a newly sprayed bumper in the right colour.

I once had an EF front bumper sprayed in the proper light blue colour. You could pick the difference because the clear coat on the rest of the car had gone slightly yellow over the years. I couldn't blame the panel shop for not matching the official colour, though.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #30
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Seriously, is this what this forum has come to?
Some dude hanging it on some POS car that he has no idea about, then watching him back peddle as fast as he can, yeah... mildly entertaining, but come off it!!
Closed Thread