Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Those aftermarket stereos

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had something like this installed, as I am pretty fussy with things and the way they work.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ETO-Ford-...item3f1452a84d

See, I'd love something like this for the GPS capability (means I don't have unsightly things hanging from my windscreen), plus I miss the music videos the AU used to crank out (legally while parked of course!).

But then, I am totally fussy over whether or not it would be compatable with the vehicle as a whole. For example, I'd still want to be able to use the steering wheel and Convers+ screen in my dash to be able to do things like iPod control & bluetooth telephone functions - what I'm worried about is the new stereo unit taking over these functions and not passing the display over to the Convers+ (if that makes sense).

So what I'm trying to say is - I want it to function exactly as the factory stereo does, with the added bonus of having an LCD screen for GPS/videos etc. If its going to isolate the functions like bluetooth etc from the car and do them on the stereo only then that would be a real dealbreaker.

Any help/experiences appreciated.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Re: Those aftermarket stereos

Someone did install one years ago, didn't work out, and he had the standard one put back in. Would have been in 2008/9. Obviously things are probably better now and that one might be ok.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Riksta,

About 3 years ago these things were starting to become available at prices about $200 more than the one you have linked.

In answer to your Canbus question, my feeling is that if it is compatible then they will shout it in large print - and I have not seen any that do this, so ....

Some MA owners tried to do the change both here and in the UK, but, if I remember correctly, the results were not as good as anticipated. One owner returned his unit to the supplier under an agreement that was negotiated.

There were lots of dramas with the Instrumentation system when the MB model was released, especially on the up-market versions, the moans about problems have gotten less recently, so I expect that some of the worse ones have gotten a fix .... or the owner has learned to live with the problem or the novelty has worn off.

I thought about the change, but finally decided that I could do without the potential for problems and also that having to look down and to the left when accessing the GPS faciity was an invitation to accidents - my GPS lives in the bottom right corner of the screen where it's easy to see with a glance and it is in my peripheral vision when I'm watching the road ahead. In that location it isn't intrusive and almost un-noticable from outside the car.

A further consideration is that it alters the car away from standard spec and the exchange process isn't that straightforward as you have to start removing the fascias from back behind the gear shift and work forwards and upwards as the screws you need to get at are hidden from view by the plastic mouldings that are below and aft of the radio.

If you do decide to go ahead, it would be good if you kept a photographic record and post them to the forum for others, so they don't have to re-invent the wheel. I'd expect quite a few members will be grateful.

Cheers,

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I purchased a similar unit a few years back to install in my 2008 VW Golf, it sounded great, everything worked OK but after a couple of weeks the wheels fell off and it started to play up. The seller (eBay) was very helpful and sent me firmware updates etc... which got the unit working again but again it still had glitches which let it down. As far as I know unless it actually states that it is fully compatible with the factory bluetooth and microphone then it will only work via the small inbuilt mic. on the head unit which in most cases are designed for left hand drive vehicles hence the mic. being on the left hand side of the H.U. fascia. I am confident that the newer units are probably a lot more functional and reliable than the one I purchased a few years back but if you want everything to work like a factory installed unit, I doubt it will suit your needs :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
whitetdci

I may be cynical but I would be surprised if they worked as well as they say they said they did. Your voice activation would also probably go too. I have had too many experiences from Chinese sellers who spiel BS to you and offer sub standard products. My advise? Run away...FAST!
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for the advice guys, might steer clear for now.

Although I have seen some stock footage photos of Mondeos WITH the screens in there (like on official Ford stuff) - anyone know the cost of one of those units from Ford, as that probably would be fully integrated!

From a review of a bog stock standard Mondy:
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
gh172

I've heard of this one mentioned a few times on the UK forums. Tempted to go for one myself.

http://www.zenec.com/en/products/ego/ford/ze-nc3811d/
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh172
I've heard of this one mentioned a few times on the UK forums. Tempted to go for one myself.

http://www.zenec.com/en/products/ego/ford/ze-nc3811d/
That looks like a nice unit. Any idea on a price?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
gh172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
That looks like a nice unit. Any idea on a price?

Haven't looked into the price as yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,

Go here for a price overview:

http://www.idealo.co.uk/product/3021...e-nc3811d.html

Looks to be in the middle 700s (Quid that is) Translates to about $1200 at current exchange rates. You might be able to get it sent without VAT as it's going outside of the EU but get a committment from the seller, some say they can't owing to not being VAT registered. That would bring the cost down to $952 which is below the GST threshold for bringing stuff into OZ. Plus freight and, if you need to, fitting.

But I can not see any information about maps for areas other than the EU zone. You can probably get a suitable data base for the thing to work in OZ but that's probably going to add to the cost.

Still interested?

Cheers

PS Found an Oz retailer: http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/zenec/

Got a spare $2000? Ain't it great to live in Australia?

And if you go here: http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/460603 they will sell one for $780 plus freight ( the first one in the series list). I would not worry too much about the Germany/Austria note, unless there isn't any method of changing the display language. You would need that alternative map database to make the navigator function useful in Oz though.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 12-10-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Extra information
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

why dont you get them from the supplier, and cut out the middle man?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...619943870.html

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
AU Mont
Banned

Theres various ones out there, they look to all be exactly the same, with slightly different menu's & skins. I recently bought a 'special fit' unit for my dad's VW, and a generic double din unit for my mitsubishi 380.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
See, I'd love something like this for the GPS capability (means I don't have unsightly things hanging from my windscreen), plus I miss the music videos the AU used to crank out (legally while parked of course!).
The GPS function is ordinary. Its basically a mobile phone app installed on the unit, then some drivers & pirated maps on a TF memory card. Initially both mine & my dad's GPS didnt work due to corrupt/outdated files on both our cards but they gave us links to download the correct files. I havnt played around with it much after getting it to work, but its pretty slow tracking my movements. To me its more of a cool gimmick rather than a replacement for your portable GPS

Quote:
I'd still want to be able to use the steering wheel and Convers+ screen in my dash to be able to do things like iPod control & bluetooth telephone functions - what I'm worried about is the new stereo unit taking over these functions and not passing the display over to the Convers+ (if that makes sense).
i wasnt there when dad had his fitted, but it came with the canbus box, just like the one in the link you posted up. The unit has a program feature where you tell it what steering wheel buttons you want it to do.

The unit has its own bluetooth & ipod control, so its not going to integrate with any other factory controls apart from steering wheel.

Because you cant fit any generic double din touchscreen in there, your pretty limited to what you can do. So i reckon theyre worth it just for the asthetics if anything, and plus you have ability to play music from a CD/DVD/card/USB/Ipod/AUX and have the connections to fit reverse camera's and screens. I cant comment on reliability, i'd dare say theyd be far from it, but i took the gamble and im happy as larry so far

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-FOCU...-/120997615797
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
im sorry but that entire post was so vague it barely made any sense
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

That Zenec unit looks incredible, unfortunately the price puts me off :(

Anyone know about the factory standard unit I mentioned above that they come out factory with?

Also, I do have a generic double din laying round somewhere, was in my AU, I took it out and put back the factory unit when I traded it. Wouldn't put it in the Mondeo though, keeping it for either my LTD if I get it back on the road, or for whatever I decide to buy as my next rolling project.
Quote: