Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Anyone Had Their 3000km Inspection? (WZ ST)

Hey FiSTers,

Has anyone had their ST in for the complimentary 3000km inspection?

Anything interesting to report back?

Cheers,

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Default Re: Anyone Had Their 3000km Inspection? (WZ ST)

yes i have had my 3000k service and i have nothing special to report other than i insisted on a oil filter change, i am now up to 4600 k and have had no problems at all except for an errant kangaroo which has damaged the rhs of the front bar (broke the wheel arch liner mounts and the real painfull bit is it kicked up and scratched the side of the car behind the door, back to the metal with its claws and now the whole rhs of the car is going to be resprayed next week
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Oh man that's no good. Hopefully the ST comes back to you good as new!
Old 19-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

i am hoping so leadfoot, i am entrusting it to a local shop that know i am extremly fussy and also the painter there now owns my old ve ssv ute so hopefully all will be good plus shannons have been a pleasure to deal with so far. my biggest worry at the moment is that roos are in plague proportions round here and i have to to do a dawn drive of about 30k 6 days a week and i am seeing 5 or 6 freshly splattered roos every day so its becoming a real issue for anyone round my neck of the woods who is out and about after dark.

mrmavx
Old 19-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
GeeDubF6

Same - no issues reported. Also insisted on an oil change due to my driving style. Be warned that a factory oil change was $198...

Old: BF MKII F6 #00390 in Breeze. Sunroof, 19" Dark Argent wheels, Reverse Sensors, Electric Pedals, Leather, FPV Mats... Ear to ear grin!!
GeeDubF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Fingers crossed for you mrmavx! I'm in the 'burbs at the moment so no wildlife issues for me, but will move out to the sticks at some point. It will be an interesting transition!

GeeDubF6! A hunje 98 for an oil change, wow!

Good to hear that neither of you have had any issues. Do you guys get clicking sounds from the clutch (as per ConST's thread on here?) I'm interested in hearing what the dealership says (even though I've read several times online that it's normal )
Old 19-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeDubF6 View Post
Same - no issues reported. Also insisted on an oil change due to my driving style. Be warned that a factory oil change was $198...
Thats very steep considering that the capped price servicing is published as being $245 per service

mrmavx
Old 19-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Pursya

If you do your own oil change, which at $200 for the official version I expect plenty to attempt, be aware of the fact Fiestas use 5w as a lower limit oil.
Most use 10w so easy to screw it up.
I'm only posting this as a WT Zee owner so please check your ST turbo oil requirements. But I've always supplied Magnatec to my mechanic and that's how I found out it was incompatible with the Fez.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
trumpy73

Castrol Edge 5W30 is the way to go anyway. I think the normal price is close to $60 but you can easily pick it up for $35 on special. + $10 filter.

It's daylight robbery paying ford $200 for a 5mins job!!
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Skramit

Slightly offtopic. New FiST owner here. Is doing your own oil change easy and do I need an tools/equipment to do it? I can get cheap Mobil 1 oil from work.
Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ended up having my 3K inspection. All good! :-)
Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
trumpy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skramit View Post
Slightly offtopic. New FiST owner here. Is doing your own oil change easy and do I need an tools/equipment to do it? I can get cheap Mobil 1 oil from work.
Get the cheap oil from work, buy a filter from Ford, take it to a 'local' mechanic to get your oil changed and get a stamp. Otherwise you'll run the risk of being subjected to vague interpretations of the warranty rules should the need arise.

However, if this is just an 'off schedule' oil change then yeah it's pretty straight forward. All you need is a filter wrench and a socket set. Having said that, if you had to ask I'm not convinced you should be doing it.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Skramit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy73 View Post
Having said that, if you had to ask I'm not convinced you should be doing it.
Mmm pretty much says it all ;)
Old 29-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
Skramit

Coming up to my 3k inspection. Should I bother with an oil change?

Also I've never dealt with ford before, do they do loan cars generally speaking? Or at the very least a shuttle to a train station? I suppose it depends in the individual dealer right?
Old 29-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Depends on the dealer, but you'd think the dudes that pick up and drop off customers cars could give you a lift to the train station. Better still they could pick up and drop your car back to your work/house.
Old 29-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
trumpy73

Quote:
Coming up to my 3k inspection. Should I bother with an oil change?

Also I've never dealt with ford before, do they do loan cars generally speaking? Or at the very least a shuttle to a train station? I suppose it depends in the individual dealer right?
I wouldn't count on Ford giving you a loan car. That would be an exception if they did.

I had my 3K service 'While you Wait'. Some dealers offer that so you don't have to worry about transportation. It's essentially some tyre kicking and ticks in boxes unless there's something wrong with your car.

As for oil change. If it was my car (I'm OCD) I'd do it but I'll just do it myself at home after the Ford service.
Old 29-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Skramit

The dealer near me will loan me a car for $44 for the day which ain't too bad if I was desperate. But instead I'm getting it done on a Saturday which will be fine.

I asked about oil change but the Service guy strongly advised against doing an oil change at 3k saying it will run the engine in better if not changed until 15k.
Old 30-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Pursya

Quote:
The dealer near me will loan me a car for $44 for the day which ain't too bad if I was desperate. But instead I'm getting it done on a Saturday which will be fine.

I asked about oil change but the Service guy strongly advised against doing an oil change at 3k saying it will run the engine in better if not changed until 15k.

Oh my word, what a load of crap.
Any engine would love new oil every 1,000 kms if you would treat it.
Simply, the newer the oil, the less friction. Less friction, less wear. Less wear better longevity.
Service guy is a dick.
Old 30-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Skramit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
Simply, the newer the oil, the less friction. Less friction, less wear. Less wear better longevity.
Service guy is a dick.
Yeah it was interesting I said "how much will you charge to change the oil at 3k?" and all he could tell me was not to do it. Like.... ugh dont u want to take my money?! /shrug
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
Service guy is a dick.
Well one of my friends is a drivetrain engineer at ford and he strongly advised me to not change the oil at 3000k or if i did to use a pure mineral oil and not the semi synthetic oil that is specified for this car until 15000k and his reasoning is that you do not want the synthetic oil until it is fully run in and that they have actually trialled engines filled with synthetic oil from word go and the rings never bedded in properly due to the lower friction properties of synthetics he did also say that a filter change would be a good idea at 3000k and to top up with mineral oil if possible or a semi synthetic if mineral not available and lastly he said if it was his car once it passed 15000k he would use a full synthetic such as castrol edge for the rest of its days

mrmavx
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
trumpy73

While I have heard that advice (mineral oil) from many sources, it makes me wonder how current those tests are. i.e In this day and age there's really no need for running in an Engine.

Regardless, I'd change the oil at 3K with mineral oil which would be good for the engine under either of the 2 theories.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy73 View Post
While I have heard that advice (mineral oil) from many sources, it makes me wonder how current those tests are. i.e In this day and age there's really no need for running in an Engine.

Regardless, I'd change the oil at 3K with mineral oil which would be good for the engine under either of the 2 theories.
The tests that my engineer mate told me about were on the superchared v8 gt falcon engine so i would suggest that they are pretty recent, anyway i opted for a filter change only and will get a full change to castrol edge at 15000k, i also have the benefit of having a 100k round trip commute which is mainly highway travel so i rack up the kays at a fairly high rate but with a relativly low amount of hours run

mrmavx
Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #23
Pursya

I doubt that an Australian based engineer, dealing with 4 more cylinders, on a supercharged, not turbocharged, engine has the slightest clue about the European designed and built turbocharged engine installed in the Fiesta ST.
Worlds apart.
A quick internet search shows that the international community replace the oil at the 3K interval. Makes absolute sense to do this as any machining castes need to be drained from the block.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
Skramit

Just had my inspection. Nothing to report.

Might be a placebo affect but seems like it's suddenly more zippy. Hmmm. Weird.