Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2023, 06:40 PM   #91
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Best thread yet DFB thankyou!!!

I think also should have mentioned that with the standard BA 6 cyl, they were 182KW standard! This was a huge jump in power at the time and from the AU 6cyl and trumped some of the V8s that were only relatively new at the time. The 2002 BA Futura we had absolutely flew! We had one of the first here in Adelaide and people gave me the thumbs up all the time in it! I think the BA was generally received well across whole of Aus.
It was then later on having experiences in the turbo models and then later again FPV that got me hooked.
Yes, going from 157 to 182 kW was quite the jump, more powerful than any XR6 before it..............as the standard engine. I REALLY liked how it made that 3.8 Holden look very old, and even the all-new wiz-bang Alloytec was no better than a Barra that was developed for a fraction of the cost.

And yes, our BA Futura felt like a rocket ship compared to the 92 kW Forrester it replaced. A bit thrashy up top, but I liked that, it actually felt and sounded like it was achieving something. Compared to a 2.2 BMW Inline 6 I sampled at the same time, that thing was almost too smooth, it spun nicely but didn't have any guts or potency to how it sounded.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #92
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The Mustang Cobra!

For some reason, in the early 2000's Ford and FTe decided to introduce the Mustang to the Australian market. Converted from LHD to RHD at the Tickford facility, these cars were Ford's attempt at competing with Holden and the immanent release of the reborn Monaro. As a thoroughbred Ford man, I know which of the two I would prefer to have, and it's NOT the one with a shiny galloping pony on the grill!

Imported and converted at Tickford, apparently these Australian converted RHD Mustang's were also sold in other RHD markets. Tickford not only swapped the necessary interior components, but also ensuring ADR's compliance. Most notable are the added lights grafted into the front bumper that the US-spec cars didn't get. Tickford also chose to only offer the high-performance Cobra variant, I guess covering the conversion costs by being a high-end purchase price.

Being the Cobra, these cars came with a number of upgrades, lifting it above the rather anemic GT of the time. Some of these items would be used in Falcon's in the coming years too. Where the basic Mustang GT came with a SOHC 2V 4.6 V8 with only 194 kW, the Cobra had an alloy block and alloy DOHC heads. Power was 240 kW at 6000 rpm, torque 430 Nm at a lofty 4750 rpm...........sound familiar? The best bit was the 6800-rev limit, meaning those huge heads could be put to good use, something the locally assembled 5.4 never really managed. These engines also used the big pod air filter assembly that would appear on the T-Series and BA Boss engines. The 5-speed manual Tremec T-45 that, again, was used on the T-Series and Boss engines. (I should point out that while everyone applauded Holden for dipping into the GM/Chev gene pool, Ford were doing it too, but no one shouted about it.) The Cobra also differed in that it was the ONLY Mustang until the 2015 S550 to have IRS, a design of which heavily based on the double wishbone IRS of the AU Falcon / DEW platform.

So, a thoroughbred American Muscle car with classic Mustang styling, a raunchy engine and manual transmission, the top spec brakes and suspension, what was not to love? Ahhh, no these things were crap.

I'm going to start on the interior, I don't think they could have made it look cheaper if they tried. In defense, its typical of most American cars of the time, but the brown and grey colour scheme does it no favors. Then look at the exterior, looking closely, everything looks cheap and plasticy, like it would break at a moments notice.

Despite the effort put into the chassis, these things apparently got very scary at higher speeds, wandering across the road. One journalist at the time, who actually owned an AU XR6 Ute so no bias, was heavily critical of the wandering front end and the bonnet flutter at high speed. The only saving grace was the engine and how fast it was in a straight line..............which has sort of been a Mustang hallmark all along, a one trick pony if you will.

And then the price. I have been a vocal critic of how Ford have overpriced the S650 due for launch next year, so these were a comparative bargain. However, at the time the Mustang Cobra was naturally compared with the Monaro, which WAS a bargain back then. At $89K for a Mustang, the Monaro was easily the better bet............and much better looking to boot. The fact it took Ford 3 years to sell the small batch they imported says it all.

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2023, 12:43 AM   #93
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They chose that over this. Unbelievable.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #94
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

They chose that over this. Unbelievable.
See, now, the lack of rear doors really suits the AU design language, looking more naturally styled than the sedan.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2023, 07:42 PM   #95
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The AU Falcon
(For this post, I am referring to the original AU sedan/wagon launched in April 1998, unofficially termed the Series 1. The Ute will follow.)

No Aussie car raised as much controversy or discussion like the AU Falcon, quite possibly the most written and talked about Australian made car of all time. And its arguably the best and worst Falcon of all time. The best Falcon because of the pockets of engineering and chassis excellence, rugged reliability and the ahead-of-its-time styling. The worst because of typical Ford cost cutting, stingy initial equipment specs………………..and the ahead-of-its-time styling!

The be frank, the AU Falcon was never intended to happen. Ford USA wanted none of it, content with sending the design and engineering files of the Taurus to the Aussie team and calling it good. But as Ford Australia would have to prove, that was never going to work. And so transpired the dismal failure of the imported Taurus, and the cost to implement a new model Aussie designed and engineered Falcon being far less than tearing up the factories to assemble a completely new and different platform. At the end of the day, Ford US are ruled by dollars and cents, so the cheaper Falcon one. We should be thankful for those in charge at the time, they got the Falcon across the line…………….again.

The AU Falcon was a $700 million investment and brought several advancements to the table. While many E-Series components carried over, a lot was new. The front suspension being a new double wishbone arrangement, teamed with a huge alloy cross member and structural alloy sump on I6 engines. On some models, the new front end was joined at the rear by independent rear suspension for the first time ever on a Falcon. That IRS was based on the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type DEW platform, using cast rather than forged components to keep the cost down. All exterior styling was new, there was even a new floor pan. The interior was mostly new, although there were a lot of carry over buttons and switches, I also believe the HVAC system carried over from the EL.

The engines were the last evolutions of their type. The inline six got several refinements, although the power and torque levels remained the same. The exception to that being the VCT variant co-developed with Tickford. This brought minor power and torque improvements and was standard on the XR6 VCT sedan, Fairmont Ghia and the coming Fairlane. The base V8 was bumped to 175 kW, the 185 kW engine in the XR8 (and LTD) was carried over from the EL. Both 4-speed auto and 5-speed manual carried over, although the 4-speed gained adaptive shift logic for the XR models.

But let’s cut to the chase, no one was talking about the engineering or chassis prowess, it was and still is all about the styling with the AU. You either loved it with a passion or hated it with a passion. I never understood why someone would hate the styling until many, many years later. At the time, it was a Ford, and it was a Falcon, so that’s what I liked.

The AU styling is the product of corporate politics! Ford Australia were rallying for approval to develop a new Falcon, Ford US didn’t want to do so. Ford Australia eventually won the argument but was told to implement the New Edge styling theme that was to be a Ford signature all around the world. Ironically, no American Ford ever truly got “New Edge”, at least not how it was (successfully) implemented in Europe. Then, Ford went on to ignore the customer clinics, bringing the AU to market despite concerns about its acceptance.

I’ll be honest in saying that I can see what Steve Park was trying to do with the AU design. I loved that strongly carved belt line with its unbroken line that ran from head to tail. I also liked the sharp creases that were carried with generous curves. But I think the biggest mistake he made was incorporating the Taurus domed roof and ovoid windscreens. That element right there totally ruined the theme for me, because I actually liked the rest, even the supposed “droopy” bum. Look no further than the 1st generation Mercedes Benz CLS for proof, with a squarer upper profile, roof and glass, the basic premise of the AU design works much better. I have to wonder how AU panels would look on a BA shell with the squared off glass and flattened roof.

The interior was an acquired taste too. Not sure why they decided to design everything with a radius............ circles and ovals everywhere. Unlike the exterior, those curves were not balanced by sharp lines, so everything looks fat and bloated. The Fairmont’s were ok, but the base cars were horrid! Vinyl seat backs did nothing for the ambience, nor did the acres of grey plastics. True, it’s a product of the 90’s, and even though it was better built and used nicer materials than the equivalent Holden, it looked cheap.

Of course, Ford did release a series of styling changes to correct what they could, but the damage was done. Then consider the anemic equipment levels, terrible carry over brakes, the majority of the range still riding on a live rear axle, nasty looking wheel designs, poor road refinement…………………the list goes on. In April 1999, Ford implemented various alterations including a 1-inch!! drop in ride height on all non-XR's, a new brake booster, new key and fob design, front seat belt height adjustment for Forte/Futura/XR6 HP, revised trim colours, front power windows for Forte and new wheels for the XR's.

It’s a real shame that the styling and cost cutting undermined the good that Ford did with the AU. I maintain that an AU Falcon (in any series) with IRS is THE best handling Falcon before or after. Control Blade IRS BA's and onwards were good, but not as good as the planted feeling brought on by the double wishbone IRS AU’s. They also had the best steering, a little slowly geared, but wonderfully alive in your hands. And as mentioned, these were the last of the truly rugged Falcon’s, and because they line was running so slow because of a lack of demand, they were screwed together properly too.

The ironic thing about the AU Falcon is how well it has aged. And I mean that from a mechanical/reliability point of view, but also from a stylistic perspective. Not that they would admit it, but it's clear where the CLS got its stylistic influence, I believe the designer was also an Australian.

Fun Fact – Steve Park copped a lot of flak for the AU Falcon, as well as the over-the-top EL Falcon GT. But I wonder how many know he also designed the FG Falcon too? Perhaps that was kept a bit quiet by Ford for a reason?

(Please Note - I have more AU Series 1 images, but they are watermarked. I elected not to include them here, but I can do so if requested.)

For some reason, the AU also won a design award, go figure?

These next two are design sign off's -

This XR6 VCT is a strange one as it doesn't have the large oval exhaust tip that was also fitted to the Fairlane. From my record, the XR6 VCT got a revised exhaust system after the first 100 to 200 cars off the line. I guess this is a very early build.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2023, 08:12 PM   #96
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The Mustang Cobra!

For some reason, in the early 2000's Ford and FTe decided to introduce the Mustang to the Australian market. Converted from LHD to RHD at the Tickford facility, these cars were Ford's attempt at competing with Holden and the immanent release of the reborn Monaro. As a thoroughbred Ford man, I know which of the two I would prefer to have, and it's NOT the one with a shiny galloping pony on the grill!

Imported and converted at Tickford, apparently these Australian converted RHD Mustang's were also sold in other RHD markets. Tickford not only swapped the necessary interior components, but also ensuring ADR's compliance. Most notable are the added lights grafted into the front bumper that the US-spec cars didn't get. Tickford also chose to only offer the high-performance Cobra variant, I guess covering the conversion costs by being a high-end purchase price.

Being the Cobra, these cars came with a number of upgrades, lifting it above the rather anemic GT of the time. Some of these items would be used in Falcon's in the coming years too. Where the basic Mustang GT came with a SOHC 2V 4.6 V8 with only 194 kW, the Cobra had an alloy block and alloy DOHC heads. Power was 240 kW at 6000 rpm, torque 430 Nm at a lofty 4750 rpm...........sound familiar? The best bit was the 6800-rev limit, meaning those huge heads could be put to good use, something the locally assembled 5.4 never really managed. These engines also used the big pod air filter assembly that would appear on the T-Series and BA Boss engines. The 5-speed manual Tremec T-45 that, again, was used on the T-Series and Boss engines. (I should point out that while everyone applauded Holden for dipping into the GM/Chev gene pool, Ford were doing it too, but no one shouted about it.) The Cobra also differed in that it was the ONLY Mustang until the 2015 S550 to have IRS, a design of which heavily based on the double wishbone IRS of the AU Falcon / DEW platform.

So, a thoroughbred American Muscle car with classic Mustang styling, a raunchy engine and manual transmission, the top spec brakes and suspension, what was not to love? Ahhh, no these things were crap.

I'm going to start on the interior, I don't think they could have made it look cheaper if they tried. In defense, its typical of most American cars of the time, but the brown and grey colour scheme does it no favors. Then look at the exterior, looking closely, everything looks cheap and plasticy, like it would break at a moments notice.

Despite the effort put into the chassis, these things apparently got very scary at higher speeds, wandering across the road. One journalist at the time, who actually owned an AU XR6 Ute so no bias, was heavily critical of the wandering front end and the bonnet flutter at high speed. The only saving grace was the engine and how fast it was in a straight line..............which has sort of been a Mustang hallmark all along, a one trick pony if you will.

And then the price. I have been a vocal critic of how Ford have overpriced the S650 due for launch next year, so these were a comparative bargain. However, at the time the Mustang Cobra was naturally compared with the Monaro, which WAS a bargain back then. At $89K for a Mustang, the Monaro was easily the better bet............and much better looking to boot. The fact it took Ford 3 years to sell the small batch they imported says it all.

This is my favorite era of Mustang, which is hilarious because its pretty much unanimously hated

This and the 1990s Foxbody Cobra are my top two Mustangs.

Compare the left and right side footwells on your photos - see how the passenger side is way bigger in the footwell than the drivers side?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #97
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
This is my favorite era of Mustang, which is hilarious because its pretty much unanimously hated

This and the 1990s Foxbody Cobra are my top two Mustangs.

Compare the left and right side footwells on your photos - see how the passenger side is way bigger in the footwell than the drivers side?
I like the original 64/65 models, along with the retro 2005 and 2015 generations. Not that I hate the "New Edge" Cobra's we got, but they don't have enough "Mustang" about them, although I could see why that would appeal in its own right.
Mustang GT

Old 15-12-2023, 08:20 PM   #98
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

As much as I don't like the looks of the AU, they're rock solid reliability wise, and even though its basically the same engine its a night and day difference between an EF/EL I6 and the AU I6, it drives completely differently even though its the same engine (with some refinements). I think they picked up sequential injection under 3000 RPM or something then it swaps back to batch fire.

The only things I've ever had to fix on customers AUs is window switches, high pressure power steering lines, alternators (because of the power steering line), starter motors, and the little LCD panel on high series cars.

Also the headlights on the non XR AU models are the best reflector headlights fitted of any Falcon, the BA-FGX was a step backwards in how much light they throw out onto the ground compared to an AU, I reckon its due to the size of the reflectors in the AU headlight assemblies.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2023, 01:51 AM   #99
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU is the best Falcon Ford ever built. And it was the last one they had a genuine crack at doing something different and going all in on. Every Falcon since had obvious cost cutting and quality issues everywhere.

It wasn’t perfect, but at least it was better than some of the design proposals that we’ve seen.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2023, 07:48 AM   #100
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

S1 XR6 with full body kit and bi plane look amazing.
Also agree re AU non XR lights. The lights in my FG are junk in comparison.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2023, 02:21 PM   #101
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I drive my AU home from work and see another one (and theres still plenty out there, in Adelaide at least) I get the urge to give a little knowing nod to the other driver.
But they probably dont feel like I do, so I just get my **** home and try to stop being an idiot :-)

Edit...and yes, agree with the headlight comments
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #102
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The KN and KQ Laser.

Launched in May 1999, the KN Laser would represent the last of the line for the model. Where previous models up to September 1994 were locally assembled at Homebush, these Laser's were made in Japan alongside its platform partner, the Mazda 323. The KN shared all but minor styling differences with the 323 including unique headlights, tail lights and bumpers. The interior was all but the same.

The initial range consisted of the 1.6-liter LXi sedan and hatch, and the 1.8-liter GLXi sedan and hatch. Later on, Ford offered SR and SR2 hatches, powered by 1.8-liter and 2.0-liter engines. All engines were via Mazda, driving the front wheels by a 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto. Being essentially a Mazda, these cars were relatively bullet proof mechanically, and extremely well made.

The one to have was the SR2. While the 98 kW 2.0 engine was no hot hatch, it did add some extra grunt to the equation, putting it toward the top of the class for the time. Who remembers the "It's Seriously Hot" TV ad from that time?

Personally, a silver 2000 Laser LXi was my grandfather's last car. He only bought silver because white wasn't available, and he wanted white because my extremely conservative catholic uncle told him white was safer. Anyway, the Laser replaced a 1986 Telstar in that horrible gold colour that was popular at the time, so this was quite the upgrade for him. You know, having such things as power steering and electric windows, even a 6-stack CD changer under the passenger seat (remember those?). Not much made my quiet and reserved grandfather swear, but the unassisted steering in the Telstar did! The Laser's 1.6 engine was a bit of a buzz box, and the ride quality was strangely quite firm, not that he ever made use of either to its full ability doing 10kph under the limit EVERYWHERE!

I never did get a chance to drive that Laser further than backing it down the drive to wash it before it was sold to one of my cousins after he passed. The car was then passed onto another cousin, and then traded only a couple of years ago, a testament to how rugged they were.

The Laser continued on sale till the end of 2002, where it was replaced by the chic Focus hatch and ugly Focus sedan. Where once Ford held considerable margin in the small car space, by the time it was replaced, they were well off the pace in that segment. Focus was tasked with changing that, but despite its excellence, Ford never regained ground in the small car category.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2023, 07:15 PM   #103
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG Falcon.

(This series will be spread over several posts, starting with a basic FG overview, followed by specific posts on models and variants, FPV included.)

Launched in May 2008, the FG Falcon was the final evolution of a long, long line of locally produced large family sedans. Its birth was not smooth sailing though, nor would it make the impact many were expecting.

The launch of the FG Falcon was almost anticlimactic, for a couple of key reasons. First, and we can’t really skirt around this issue, the VE Commodore arrived to rapturous applauses from the media and the buying public alike. The thing is, the Commodore had a LOT of ground to make up, so it HAD to be good. And for the most part, it certainly was a large single step forward for the brand and locally made cars in general.

The Falcon on the other hand, well, some of the big-ticket improvements were brought forward to allow the crucial BA and BF Falcons make an impact. It has been noted that the BA was never really meant to happen the way it did, as in being such a huge mid cycle refresh of the existing AU model. This sort of unsettled the natural lifespan and investment cycles that had been the basis for all Falcons going back to the originals. So, when the FG launched with a carryover mechanical package, it appeared as if Ford hadn’t put much effort into the program, when in fact they had.

The other issue was styling. It was noted as being not progressive, and with Ford still reeling from being too adventurous with the AU’s styling, you can hardly blame them for going a conservative route. The other problem was the BF MK II facelift previewed the FG front end styling two years before the FG went on sale, it sort of dampened the impact. The leaking of those FPV CGI images was not helpful either.

The reality was, the FG Falcon was a top-hat restyle. All exterior panels and glass were new, as was the interior. Everything under the skin was carried over or modified, think floor pan, engine “box” panels and firewall, rear suspension, HVAC, seats ect. That may sound like a negative thing, but again, think about where Ford and Holden were prior to the FG and VE models, you will notice one had to spend more on the basics, one had already done so years earlier.

Having said that, as with any Falcon, there were several incremental/evolutionary improvements that added up to a greater whole. Starting with the front suspension, the FG Falcon brought forward the Virtual Pivot Control Link design that launched with the 2004 Territory. The Falcon went further in that it used aluminum for the spindle, lower control arm pieces and upper control arm. The large aluminum crossmember was replaced by a steel subframe and the new variable ratio Bishop Steering Technology steering rack was relocated to the front of the axle. Rear suspension carried over with improvements.

The engine lineup followed a similar evolutionary theme, with the focus on refinement and fuel economy. While the basic naturally aspirated inline six only saw incremental power and torque gains, the improvement to refinement and sound quality was impressive. Finally, a Ford inline 6 that actually had some effort put into how it sounded! A lot of that was the new composite intake manifold and tuned intake tubing. The 3V V8 was long gone, so the only V8 in the regular lineup was the Boss 5.4 in the XR8, offered in 290 kW spec. The star of the show was the turbo I6, with power rising from 245 to 270 kW. And again, finally a Ford inline six with a nice exhaust note, I loved the shift cut fart they put in those cars. The EGAS was basically a carry over, along with the ancient 4-speed auto.

The interior was mostly all new, although the unseen stuff carried over from the B-series. The focus was on creating a more enclosed and lower driving position, but the seating, steering column and firewall hardpoints meant that was more difficult than many would realise. Changing the floor pan, seats and steering column was ruled out due to cost. Ford did lift the exterior belt line and raised the center console to create the illusion of a lower seating position, and when compared to the BF, it worked. But many did and still do complain the steering wheel doesn’t go high enough and the seat doesn’t go low enough. Interior material quality also took a backward step, the FG losing the soft touch dashboard and door trims, the lower plastics were also quite hard scratchy. And while many complained about the conservative interior design, it was neatly presented and easy to use the key controls. I also liked the range of interior trim and colour choices offered, although those would be largely discontinued by the end of 2010 as a cost cutting exercise.

The FG Falcon also saw a restructure of the range and the retirement of the Futura, Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia nameplates. The range opened with the Falcon XT sedan, flowed into the Falcon XR-Series and continued onto the G-Series which included G6 (Futura/Fairmont) and G6E / G6E Turbo (Fairmont Ghia). Each series got its own front and rear design treatments, the XT very plain and “functional”, the G-Series showing the most vibrant display of Ford’s “Kinetic” design language, the XR-series being the most aggressive. All but the very earliest XT’s got new wheels, the XT getting alloy wheels as a running change a few months after launch.

Other improvements and inclusions included –

- Side curtain airbags as standard or as an option. (As a side note, the FG Falcon was the first Aussie made car to get a 5-star safety rating, and that was achieved without side curtain airbags, something that was seen to be necessary for that result at the time)
- iPod integration, an Aussie first
- Single piece body side stampings with inset door design
- Monotube dampers
- Self adjusting parking brake
- Semi-active muffler on XR8 sedan
- Overhauled NVH package
- Four different taillight treatments depending on model
- 5-speed Automatic for lower spec I6 models

Now onto the images, due to huge amount I have on the FG and the 40 per post limitation, I’ll have to break this down quite a bit. Starting off, the images provided to the press prior to the official unveiling. These also show off the then new anechoic chamber.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2023, 07:24 PM   #104
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Amazing!
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 17-12-2023, 07:27 PM   #105
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG Falcon Powertrain and Misc Images -

XR8's Semi-Active Muffler valve -

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #106
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The KN and KQ Laser.

Launched in May 1999, the KN Laser would represent the last of the line for the model. Where previous models up to September 1994 were locally assembled at Homebush, these Laser's were made in Japan alongside its platform partner, the Mazda 323. The KN shared all but minor styling differences with the 323 including unique headlights, tail lights and bumpers. The interior was all but the same.

The initial range consisted of the 1.6-liter LXi sedan and hatch, and the 1.8-liter GLXi sedan and hatch. Later on, Ford offered SR and SR2 hatches, powered by 1.8-liter and 2.0-liter engines. All engines were via Mazda, driving the front wheels by a 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto. Being essentially a Mazda, these cars were relatively bullet proof mechanically, and extremely well made.

The one to have was the SR2. While the 98 kW 2.0 engine was no hot hatch, it did add some extra grunt to the equation, putting it toward the top of the class for the time. Who remembers the "It's Seriously Hot" TV ad from that time?

Personally, a silver 2000 Laser LXi was my grandfather's last car. He only bought silver because white wasn't available, and he wanted white because my extremely conservative catholic uncle told him white was safer. Anyway, the Laser replaced a 1986 Telstar in that horrible gold colour that was popular at the time, so this was quite the upgrade for him. You know, having such things as power steering and electric windows, even a 6-stack CD changer under the passenger seat (remember those?). Not much made my quiet and reserved grandfather swear, but the unassisted steering in the Telstar did! The Laser's 1.6 engine was a bit of a buzz box, and the ride quality was strangely quite firm, not that he ever made use of either to its full ability doing 10kph under the limit EVERYWHERE!

I never did get a chance to drive that Laser further than backing it down the drive to wash it before it was sold to one of my cousins after he passed. The car was then passed onto another cousin, and then traded only a couple of years ago, a testament to how rugged they were.

The Laser continued on sale till the end of 2002, where it was replaced by the chic Focus hatch and ugly Focus sedan. Where once Ford held considerable margin in the small car space, by the time it was replaced, they were well off the pace in that segment. Focus was tasked with changing that, but despite its excellence, Ford never regained ground in the small car category.

I briefly had a 1.6L variant of this for about a year, I found it sitting in the industrial estate for months, I tracked the owner down and bought it for $350, had it for around a year then it got stolen on my birthday - someone knocked it off with a tilt tray with some of my stuff inside it
Old 17-12-2023, 07:47 PM   #107
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG Falcon XT.

The Falcon XT was, as before, the opener to the range. The XT was only offered as a sedan, Ford deciding not to make an FG Wagon due to the inclusion of the Territory. With minor improvements, the Wagon did continue in BF MK III guise until 2010.

Three powertrains were offered, the naturally aspirated I6 with either a 5-speed auto (standard) or 6-speed auto (optional), and the EGAS with 4-speed auto.

After the launch of the VE Commodore, Ford actually went and added additional brightwork to the XT to give it a bit more visual clout. Think chrome grill surrounds, boot garnish and lower window trim. All FG and FG MK II XT's got the cherry red taillights. 16-inch alloy wheels followed in September 2008.

The interior was pretty drab, with only a basic mono-tone screen, cloth trim and plain dial faces with green backlighting. Like the XR range, the XT came standard with 4 airbags and DSC.

Traditionally, the base model Falcon was the volume seller in the range, aimed at rental, fleet and governmental agencies. However, for some reason, Ford decided to dump base XR6's into the rental fleets, meaning the once volume seller took a back seat to the more visually desirable XR6. I would guess this provided a superior resale/lease change over figure at the end of the contract, an XR6 commanding a higher resale than a basic XT. All that did in my eyes was devalue the XR6 brand image.

Back in early 2008, I considered the Falcon XT for a few seconds, before deciding to reach for the stars and focus on the more desirable XR and G-series models.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2023, 07:49 PM   #108
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The FG Falcon.

(This series will be spread over several posts, starting with a basic FG overview, followed by specific posts on models and variants, FPV included.)

Launched in May 2008, the FG Falcon was the final evolution of a long, long line of locally produced large family sedans. Its birth was not smooth sailing though, nor would it make the impact many were expecting.

The launch of the FG Falcon was almost anticlimactic, for a couple of key reasons. First, and we can’t really skirt around this issue, the VE Commodore arrived to rapturous applauses from the media and the buying public alike. The thing is, the Commodore had a LOT of ground to make up, so it HAD to be good. And for the most part, it certainly was a large single step forward for the brand and locally made cars in general.

The Falcon on the other hand, well, some of the big-ticket improvements were brought forward to allow the crucial BA and BF Falcons make an impact. It has been noted that the BA was never really meant to happen the way it did, as in being such a huge mid cycle refresh of the existing AU model. This sort of unsettled the natural lifespan and investment cycles that had been the basis for all Falcons going back to the originals. So, when the FG launched with a carryover mechanical package, it appeared as if Ford hadn’t put much effort into the program, when in fact they had.

The other issue was styling. It was noted as being not progressive, and with Ford still reeling from being too adventurous with the AU’s styling, you can hardly blame them for going a conservative route. The other problem was the BF MK II facelift previewed the FG front end styling two years before the FG went on sale, it sort of dampened the impact. The leaking of those FPV CGI images was not helpful either.

The reality was, the FG Falcon was a top-hat restyle. All exterior panels and glass were new, as was the interior. Everything under the skin was carried over or modified, think floor pan, engine “box” panels and firewall, rear suspension, HVAC, seats ect. That may sound like a negative thing, but again, think about where Ford and Holden were prior to the FG and VE models, you will notice one had to spend more on the basics, one had already done so years earlier.

Having said that, as with any Falcon, there were several incremental/evolutionary improvements that added up to a greater whole. Starting with the front suspension, the FG Falcon brought forward the Virtual Pivot Control Link design that launched with the 2004 Territory. The Falcon went further in that it used aluminum for the spindle, lower control arm pieces and upper control arm. The large aluminum crossmember was replaced by a steel subframe and the new variable ratio Bishop Steering Technology steering rack was relocated to the front of the axle. Rear suspension carried over with improvements.

The engine lineup followed a similar evolutionary theme, with the focus on refinement and fuel economy. While the basic naturally aspirated inline six only saw incremental power and torque gains, the improvement to refinement and sound quality was impressive. Finally, a Ford inline 6 that actually had some effort put into how it sounded! A lot of that was the new composite intake manifold and tuned intake tubing. The 3V V8 was long gone, so the only V8 in the regular lineup was the Boss 5.4 in the XR8, offered in 290 kW spec. The star of the show was the turbo I6, with power rising from 245 to 270 kW. And again, finally a Ford inline six with a nice exhaust note, I loved the shift cut fart they put in those cars. The EGAS was basically a carry over, along with the ancient 4-speed auto.

The interior was mostly all new, although the unseen stuff carried over from the B-series. The focus was on creating a more enclosed and lower driving position, but the seating, steering column and firewall hardpoints meant that was more difficult than many would realise. Changing the floor pan, seats and steering column was ruled out due to cost. Ford did lift the exterior belt line and raised the center console to create the illusion of a lower seating position, and when compared to the BF, it worked. But many did and still do complain the steering wheel doesn’t go high enough and the seat doesn’t go low enough. Interior material quality also took a backward step, the FG losing the soft touch dashboard and door trims, the lower plastics were also quite hard scratchy. And while many complained about the conservative interior design, it was neatly presented and easy to use the key controls. I also liked the range of interior trim and colour choices offered, although those would be largely discontinued by the end of 2010 as a cost cutting exercise.

The FG Falcon also saw a restructure of the range and the retirement of the Futura, Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia nameplates. The range opened with the Falcon XT sedan, flowed into the Falcon XR-Series and continued onto the G-Series which included G6 (Futura/Fairmont) and G6E / G6E Turbo (Fairmont Ghia). Each series got its own front and rear design treatments, the XT very plain and “functional”, the G-Series showing the most vibrant display of Ford’s “Kinetic” design language, the XR-series being the most aggressive. All but the very earliest XT’s got new wheels, the XT getting alloy wheels as a running change a few months after launch.

Other improvements and inclusions included –

- Side curtain airbags as standard or as an option. (As a side note, the FG Falcon was the first Aussie made car to get a 5-star safety rating, and that was achieved without side curtain airbags, something that was seen to be necessary for that result at the time)
- iPod integration, an Aussie first
- Single piece body side stampings with inset door design
- Monotube dampers
- Self adjusting parking brake
- Semi-active muffler on XR8 sedan
- Overhauled NVH package
- Four different taillight treatments depending on model
- 5-speed Automatic for lower spec I6 models

Now onto the images, due to huge amount I have on the FG and the 40 per post limitation, I’ll have to break this down quite a bit. Starting off, the images provided to the press prior to the official unveiling. These also show off the then new anechoic chamber.

I remember sitting in Year 11 Physics class, smashing the refresh button on AFF waiting for the FG Falcon official launch images to go up,

Who also remembers that ridiculous 'walking fingers' ad they launched with?

The FG doesn't seem like much effort was put in but its a significantly better car than the BA/BF are, by a long margin.
Old 18-12-2023, 04:24 PM   #109
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG G6.

With the FG, Ford attempted to refresh the Falcon’s image by leveraging the XR models popularity and creating a new premium sub-brand that was removed from the entry level fleet hack. Part of that process involved the retirement of the Futura, Fairmont and Ghia nameplates, the theory being those names implied a less than youthful reputation. As a nod to those nameplates, FG apparently stood as an abbreviation of Fairmont Ghia. How much you read into that is up to you. The G-Series was the result, a simplified and more European naming style.

The entry to the G-Series lineup was the G6, effectively replacing both the Futura and Fairmont in price and equipment levels. Interestingly, the G6 and XR6 initially shared the same pricing, giving customers a choice of either a sporty or luxury focus. Where the XR6 could be had in a manual, the G6 was auto only, the 5-speed as standard and the 6-speed a $1500 option. EGAS was also offered for $1400.

The G-Series models had their own front bumper, mimicking the look of the Mondeo that was launched in late 2007. The G6E models with the accent-coloured grills tend to look a touch dated in 2023, so the more restrained and simplified look of the G6 has aged much better, to my eyes at least. The use of chrome to outline the grills and frame out the windows worked well at presenting a smart, clean looking sedan. At the rear, the bumper and exhaust tip were shared with the XR models, the G6 having the bumper partially painted rather than full unpainted black plastic. G6 also got the dark tinted version of the XT’s tail lamps, the same that would later appear on the GT R-Spec and GT-F. Side skirts were also used on the XR, and 17-inch wheels were standard.

On the interior, the G6 had its own selection of trim accents and dial face treatment. Cloth and velour was standard, offered with the choice of black or cashmere colouring. Spec levels mirrored the XR6.

The early FG was the last of what I call the customizable Falcon’s, as in not the take-it-or-leave-it approach that would later be implemented to save cost and complication. A few key G6 factory options included –

Side Curtain Airbags - $300 (A steal that every person should have ticked, I did myself)
18-inch G-Series Wheels - $1000 (NA with EGAS)
19-inch G-Series Wheels - $2400 (Inc Luxury Performance IRS, NA with EGAS)
Full Size Spare Alloy Wheel - $250 (a steal, I screwed that one up)
Safety Pack - $600 (alarm, adjustable pedals, curtain airbags)
Technology Pack $450 (ipod integration and Bluetooth)
Premium Sound - $1100 (From Sep-08 to 2010)

Once unveiled in early 2008, I was tossing up between an XR6 6-speed in Ego or Sensation, or a 6-speed G6 in either Ego or Sensation with the cashmere interior. The G6 was probably a bit too mature for a 21-year-old, but I did like how subtle the G6 looked, especially in Sensation with the chrome highlights. I also think the rear of the G6 was the visual sweet spot for the FG, the dark tinted lamps and partial painted diffuser looked the most balanced. In the end, after some gentle persuasion, I followed the path that led me to an XR6 instead.

Can anyone pick the mistake on the below CGI image?

Not many G6's were made with the Cashmere interior.................

These images of a G6 are from the ECOLPi update...............

There were two Limited Edition G6's during this period, one offered in September 2009 and one in February 2010. Above the standard spec these offered leather trim, 18-inch wheels (17-inch on EGAS), curtain airbags, unique exterior colour treatments and a G6E Steering wheel.

This example in Seduce is an EGAS model with the smaller wheels, a requirement of the DSC calibration on that engine.

Again, a CGI mistake here..................

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2023, 06:08 PM   #110
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG G6E.

Moving up the range, the G6E effectively replaced the Fairmont Ghia in the FG lineup. It’s the G6E and G6E Turbo that best displays the Kinetic design language that was spreading across the wider Ford range at the time. Compared to the G6, the rectangular mesh grill inserts were finished in brushed aluminum, very similar to the up-spec MA Mondeo’s. Further differentiating the G6E from the G6 was the fully painted rear bumper, chrome bezel tail lamps, wing mirror mounted side repeaters and a front “fender feature”. There was also a different set of 17-inch wheels, although 18- and 19-inch items were optional.

Inside, the G6E had its own combination of trim and ICC finishes, a more detailed instrument cluster, dual zone climate control with colour screen, premium sound, and the choice of Shadow Black or Cashmere leather trim. As per the G6, the Cashmere option also included the two-tone interior colour scheme. As with all G-Series, you also got gloss chrome door handles. G6E’s also got a leather console lid, side curtain airbags, premium steering wheel, reverse camera and the Technology Pack as standard.

For the G6E, the standard powertrain was the NA 4.0 I6 and 6-speed auto, but the EGAS with 4-speed auto was optional.

The Cashmere interior would have easily been my choice, it adding some much needed pizazz to the FG interior.

Mustang GT

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 18-12-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 18-12-2023, 06:11 PM   #111
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

G6E continued....................

Not G6E's, but rather the XT's trim design and the optional rear spoiler.

Mustang GT

Old 18-12-2023, 06:47 PM   #112
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG G6E Turbo.

This was Ford delivering on what customers had been asking for, pairing the Turbo engine with a more luxury focused presentation. A sleeper in other words. In some ways, the Turbo engine effectively replaced the 3V V8 as the premium engine option on the flagship model. The difference here being that the turbo version of the G6E was treated as separate model and not an option box to tick.

Stylistically, the G6E Turbo differed minimally compared to the naturally aspirated version. 18-inch wheels were standard, a turbo badge was added to the fender feature and boot lid, rear lip spoiler and chrome bezel headlights. Ford got the headlights wrong in my opinion, the G6E Turbo should have had the more menacing black bezel lights, with the G6E getting the chrome variation. In fact, Ford corrected this for the FG MK II.

On the inside, the G6E Turbo mirrored the G6E in most regards except for the gloss black ICC and center console. There was also G6E Turbo lettering on the dial faces.

Mechanically, the 270 kW turbo engine was only offered with the 6-speed auto and the suspension spec was different to the G6 and G6E. Unlike the XR6 Turbo, there was no LSD, be that standard or as a factory option. I have no idea why this was the case, I guess it was either cost cutting or attempts to limit NVH on the luxury focused model. In any case, it was suggested at the time the lack of LSD actually improved straight line performance from rest, but again, I don’t know why. Brakes were also upgraded to the XR6T/XR8 spec, using larger front 322mm rotors.

The G6E Turbo, especially in Ego, was the FG image leader. That combination featured heavily in the brochures, print media and TV ads. On 19-inch wheels, a G6E Turbo in Sensation or Ego paired with the Cashmere interior was an impressive looking vehicle, then and now.

Mustang GT

Old 18-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #113
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

G6E Turbo continued................

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2023, 08:06 PM   #114
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG XR6.

By the time the FG rolled out, the XR Falcon’s had become a relatively mainstream offering from Ford. Where previously XR’s were targeted at the enthusiast private buyer, Ford began leveraging that desirability as a selling tool, offering the XR6 to fleet and rental customers with the promise of higher resale/lower changeover figures. In some ways, this really devalued the XR sub-brand, in particular the entry level naturally aspirated XR6. Personally, I think from BA onwards the “real” XR6 was the Turbo, which in effect was developed by Tickford. From FG onward, the base XR6 was essentially an appearance package…………….sort of. (I don’t say that to offend, that’s just how it was. I have a NA XR6 myself)

The XR range was differentiated from the G-Series via a unique frontal design. With an evolved interpretation of the double-dip head lights, the XR’s also got a specific bumper and circular chrome fog light surrounds. Where the G-Series used flush fitted rectangular mesh grills, the XR’s had honeycomb inset grills to emphasize the aggressive theme Ford were going for. The side skirts, rear bumper and exhaust tip were shared with the G-Series, although with a black unpainted diffuser. 17-inch wheels were standard, 18- and 19-inch optional. The taillamps were very similar to the G-Series but had a black outline instead of chrome. (I do wonder how much money Ford wasted making 4 different tail lamp bezel treatments. Especially considering they ditched the capless fuel system to save money.)

Inside, the front seats were XR-specific, and Ford continued to offer cloth trim in a choice of colours or leather trim. Satin aluminum was used on the various interior highlights such as the door and dash spears. The steering wheel was perforated leather, shared with the G-Series/FPV models, just without the satin aluminum buttons. There were also aluminum pedals and a specific treatment for the dial cluster with the blue “crayon” rings. Single zone climate control was standard, along with the monochrome screen. Dual zone climate control and colour screen was available via the Luxury Pack.

Mechanically, the basic XR6 shared the same 4.0 I6 engine as the rest of the Falcon range. The standard transmission was the TR6060 Tremec 6-speed manual, however most XR6’s were fitted with the new 5-speed automatic. The smart move was paying the extra $1500 for the 6-speed auto, it transformed the XR6’s performance and refinement. The XR’s also got their own suspension and DSC calibrations, and all XR models got 245 aspect ratio tyres compared to 235 on the 17-inch G6/G6E.

I think the best thing about these earlier FG XR Falcon’s was the ability to customize your order. In addition to optional leather, there were four different cloth trim colours, three different wheel designs and various options available a la carte or bundled in packages. This concept of buyer choice started in the modern age by Geoff Polites during the BA Falcon era, and in effect, gave buyers the feeling they were buying something special. To me at least.

Back in early 2008, my preferred spec was factory ordered and delivered within in a few weeks. To put that into perspective, I've waited 15 months and counting for a Mustang!

Colour wise, I was tossing up between Ego, Nitro and Sensation. Where I had been persuaded to go for an XR over a G6, I was not listening to the voices suggesting I get Nitro. Not that I didn’t like that colour, Nitro was just too flashy for me. Sensation got the nod, which I still think was the right choice 15 years later, Nitro became almost too popular………………………………………………

On the inside, I didn’t want leather, I wanted the vivid Streetwise Blue cloth. That ruled out the Luxury package, along with not liking the design of the 19-inch XR wheels and the grey ICC colouring that came as part of the pack. I did however pay the $1100 for Premium Sound, which also brought the colour screen. I then sidestepped the Safety Pack but decided to pay the $300 for side curtain airbags. For some reason, I didn’t opt for the Technology Pack, which is probably what dates the interior most in 2023, no Bluetooth hands free or audio streaming.

One aspect of my order that was non-negotiable was the 6-speed auto, something I had decided on waaaay before the FG even surfaced. A manual was not for me, and after test driving the 5-speed auto, my insistence on having the ZF was justified. The strange thing with the 5-speed was the tall first gear, basically the same as the old 4-speed. That sort of made it feel doughy from launch like the 4-speed, but the ultra-short second gear lasted briefly before another upshift. With the 6-speed, it made the NA feel much faster than the numbers suggested, especially running on 98-ron which upped the power to 208 kW and 422 Nm, which can feel as the VCT changes over at about 3500 rpm. The side benefit was the superior fuel economy.

After signing the contract, I wasn’t completely content. I hated those 17-inch wheels, they really looked too small on the FG with its newly pumped guards. An hour later, I called the salesman to include the 18-inch “snowflake” wheels, an additional $1000.

A few weeks later, I was back at the Binks Ford in Footscray on a Saturday morning to pick up my first ever brand-new car. I was 21-years old at the time and I remember that car turning heads as I drove it back home. As a side note, I didn’t buy this car at my local dealer, they basically laughed me out of the showroom when I was showing intention of buying one. Having bought my sisters car at Binks, I simply took my business there instead. Classic case of never judging a customer.

These images sold me on the Streetwise Blue trim...................

This was one of the Limited Edition XR6's offered, this was arriving in July 2011. It came with 18-inch wheels, unique exterior trim accent colours, G6 taillamps, leather trim, colour screen and rear parking sensors.

Mustang GT

Old 19-12-2023, 08:09 PM   #115
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

XR6 / XR continued.....................

Mustang GT

Old 19-12-2023, 10:35 PM   #116
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG XR6 Turbo.

I have said many times that the biggest mistake I made when ordering my FG was not getting the Turbo. If I had, my 33,000 km FG XR6 would be worth quite a bit more money now. At 21-years old though, I was reaching pretty high to get a brand-new Falcon to begin with, let alone buying and insuring the Turbo model. Also keep in mind that this was upon release of the brand-new model, so discounting was not on the cards.

Visually, there were only three clues that there was a Turbo under the hood, 18-inch wheels, a turbo badge on the boot lid and the silver intercooler hiding behind the lower grill. Like the rest of the XR range, Ford offered a decent selection of exterior colour choices from mild to wild. The lurid green, orange, purple and blues standing out in the crowd of black, white and grey cars on the roads.

Inside, the cabin was the same as the other XR models.

Mechanically, the XR6 Turbo came with larger 322mm front rotors, an LSD, and of course the updated 4.0 I6 Turbo engine. The 270 kW FG-spec engine had a smaller turbo for less lag. At the time, it was noted as having slightly less lung capacity up top when compared to the older BA/BF FPV spec 270 engine. There was also a spark-cut induced pop from the exhaust between gear changes or when launch control was engaged on the manual variant.

For FG XR6 Turbo’s, Ford also offered a factory fitted transmission oil cooler for $200, which I think was more so for Police duties. That was phased out in June 2010.

This image below shows the black outline that differentiates the XR lamps from the G6E/FPV variants.

This is a very bad CGI image, the caliper behind the wheel is forward mounted instead of rear, and the tyre is wrongly orientated too.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2023, 10:41 PM   #117
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

XR6 Turbo continued......................

Again, that Streetwise Blue is transcendent..................

This was the Streetwise Silver that was also pretty rare.............

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2023, 07:55 AM   #118
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I agree with you re N/A XR6. For me it lost a lot of its appeal when the AU finished. The turbo, was 'the' XR6.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 20-12-2023, 08:24 AM   #119
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Noice
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2023, 09:16 PM   #120
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG XR8.

You have to feel sorry for the XR8, on all but a few occasions in its 15-year run did it have the upper hand over its younger brother. Those being the 220 kW AU II and AU III versions, and the last FGX models fitted with the FPV engine. On all other occasions, the XR6 / XR6T were the more logical choice, offering a lighter and more nimble driving experience without necessarily being any slower the V8 powered XR8.

But the thing is, people bought them! There is just something so mesmerizing about the feel and sound of a V8, in the words of David Flint, “its irreplaceable”. So, while a SS Commodore or XR6/T was faster, the thumpa thumpa of the V8 was all some people needed. And who am I to argue with that. And while the Boss 5.4 V8 did a lot wrong, it was easily one of the best sounding V8's available.

The FG XR8 launched with the rest of the FG Falcon lineup in early 2008, bringing all its improvements with it. The headline for the FG XR8 was the fitment of the Boss 290 which was previously used on BA to BF MK II FPV GT and Pursuit models. Power for the XR8 went from 260 kW and 500 Nm to 290 kW and 520 Nm. The engine got a new oil pan and exhaust manifolds in the transition to FG. Despite the same figures, for reason they were achieved at higher rpm's, with 5750 rpm instead of 5500 rpm for power, and 4750 rpm instead of 4500 rpm for torque.

The ZF 6-speed auto carried over, but included a new cylinder cut on gearshifts for improved shift timing and refinement. The T56 manual was replaced by the TR6060 6-speed with triple synchromesh on first and second, and double synchromesh on all other gears including reverse. Brakes were the same as the XR6 Turbo, with 322mm front rotors.

The FG update also brought a semi-active muffler (SAM) for the XR8. This used exhaust gas back pressure to open a valve at 2800 rpm. In reality, this exhaust feature didn’t actually make the XR8 any louder than it predecessor, rather the valve just made it quieter at idle and low speed driving. It was a waste of time and money in my opinion, why disguise the V8’s tone at idle? In effect, it actually made people drive the car harder to hear the exhaust note. It’s telling that FPV did not adapt their exhaust system to have this feature, and when it did do an active exhaust a two years later, it actually worked at giving a throaty idle AND a noisy top end.

Visually, the XR8 came with the now classic bonnet bulge and shared the 18-inch wheels with the XR6 Turbo. XR8 models had either a red or black “8” within the rear badging. Interior wise, the XR8 was exactly the same as the other XR models for both look and spec levels.

The Boss 290 powered FG XR8 continued in production until mid 2010. With the 5.4 Boss engines at their limit of naturally aspirated power, they were also in need of an emissions update. FPV, who assembled all Boss 5.4 V8’s for use in FPV and XR8’s, decided to move onto the new 5.0 Coyote V8 platform. The XR8 was originally slated for this new supercharged V8 engine, but it was changed to GS and sold through FPV dealers instead. The XR8 therefore went on holiday for four years, before reappearing with the 335 kW GT engine in 2014 for the FGX.

This image was also presented as a poster with the tag line "Own The Road", which was a T-Series tag line as well. I have a couple of these postors I scored at the Melbourne Motor Show that year.

This was the $5000 Luxury Pack interior which included leather, dual zone climate control with silver buttons set against a drab grey ICC panel, colour screen and Premium Sound and 19-inch wheels. And check out that bulge proudly raising above the windscreen line.

For the FG Supercar, Ford decided to use the XR8's frontal design/headlights over the FPV-spec look.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post: