Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
au xr6

Default rolling guards on au xr6

I recently put 19" rims on my xr6. Having problems with rubbing. Already decided rolling the guards is the way to go ( i know it's illegal, just don't care) is it something I can do myself without ******* the car?? Also where in Melbourne can I get braided hoses.? Any help would be appreciated

au xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
FTW-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: rolling guards on au xr6

Hey bud, look up phat guard rolling on Facebook, they did an excellent job on my guards.
Cheap enough to not even bother doing it yourself.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
au xr6

Sweet. Thanx mate
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
ben131185

why would rolling ur guards be illegal?
ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
au xr6

Just finished doing my guards. No ripples. Chipped the paint on pass. side but otherwise all good. Guards are flimsy as now
Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've rolled guards before, Here's how I did it...

I had a length round of steel fence piping roughly 40cm long and put it between the guard and the wheel and got a mate to drive forward very slowly. The end result was excellent. The paint was still good (Wasn't perfect to begin with so wasn't really worried about it that much) and the guard itself retained it's outer shape while the inner lip was rolled nice and smooth.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
mif73
CNC fixer guy

If you dont have the correct rolling tool then you can also use a wooden pole or wooden baseball bat, that way there is less chance of damaging the paint or distorting the guard by mistake.

C ya.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phat guard rolling facebook it. Pete is a great bloke to deal with! For the money I wouldn't bother attempting it any other way!!!

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
peterljohnson55

Already a thread on this topic here ... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11385140

What I did with a friend's help ...
Tools:
- PIPE: 40 to 50 mm, about 600 mm long.
- FILE: long, with wooden or plastic handle.
- PLASTIC- or RUBBER-HEADED HAMMER: (such as seen on ebay for less that $20).
- DOLLY: like this one here, or similar hunk of steel (http://image.carcraft.com/f/9018851/..._and_dolly.jpg)
- RAG: to wrap the dolly.
- CAR JACK:

1) I first made sure any downturned lip was angled back in toward the tyre. The lip had come so far out it was beyond the bodywork (see pic at top of this thread). I used the handle of a file to push it back somewhat.
2) progressively and carefully levered the turned-down lip back into approximate position by pivoting pipe off the top of the tyre. I had to place pack/s onto the top of the tyre to raise the fulcrum point higher to get the pipe working at the correct angle otherwise it wanted to push the lip in wrong direction.
3) Repeated #2 around the lip until it was all back in near-square position to the body.
4) Jacked car and removed wheel.
5) Using hammer, carefully hit the lip so it points higher up, with the dolly wrapped in rag on the outside of the guard to resist hammering and stop the arch from springing out.
6) I also used the file to force the lip higher up and under. It allowed a good amount of force to be applied vertically upward, by hand.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post