Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
YetiTDCi
Starter Motor

Default Focus TDCi - Traction control 'BANG'!

Gday everyone,

I have recently purchased a 2008 TDCi and have been very happy with it, great economy and a good amount of torque. It is my first 'nice' car, as all my previous cars have been older cars without all the fancy things like aircon/heaters etc. There is one thing that I am not sure about, so thought I would get everyones ideas if it is normal or not.

It has happened probably 3 or 4 times, when the wheels break traction under acceleration (once in gravel, the other times on slippery wet roads, I'm not a hoon!) it feels like the traction control is trying to kick in, and then there is a big 'Bang' sound that scares the crap out of me, and it seems to cut the power to the wheels and then all returns to normal.

Has anyone heard of this? Too me it doesn't sound normal, but Im new to 'new' cars so not sure if it is normal.

Cheers guys.

YetiTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I don't know about a "Bang" but the ESP makes some not very pleasant scraping noises when it's working, I was worried as well when I first heard it.

The orange light will also start to flash, however under some circumstances I think it even intervenes a little without flashing.

If you want to know for sure, try replicate the situation with the ESP off and see what happens
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quite possibly Axle tramp. My focus XR5 does this when under hard acceleration in 1st gear
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i get it quite a bit too when accelrating and a wheel looses traction.

i know mines axle tramp as my whole steering wheel shakes

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Axle tramp. Try driving with DSC/TC turned off and it feels like a jackhammer is attacking the car.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
YetiTDCi
Starter Motor

Smile

That sounds like what it is then - axle tramp. Haha I guess nothing to worry about then, I thought it might be ready to blow up or something! Thanks for the advice everyone!
YetiTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you think you have it bad....ive got well over 400nm going through my front wheels!!!!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

yeah id say axle tramp.

in a straight line, my ESC doesnt make any noise when i lose traction...it just cuts power...but i do get axle tramp alot when it breaks loose...sounds horrible
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
Mullett
Badly Focused

No TC for me, but plenty of axle tramp. Extremely irritating thing to have happen if you're trying to pull out in a hurry or there's a bit of broken ground coming out of a fast corner. Time for a WRX or an S15 :P

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
nissky
Starter Motor

Default Re: Focus TDCi - Traction control 'BANG'!

Resurrecting an old thread...
The focus has some epic axle tramp when it breaks traction!
I thought I broke something the first time!
It's quite intrusive, louder than any other car I have had.
I am pretty sure it is tramp, because it keeps thumping away if I don't ease off.
The harshness sounds like its bottoming out the shocks or something.
So my car has traction control now, don't want to get anywhere near that sound ;D
nissky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Focus TDCi - Traction control 'BANG'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiTDCi
Gday everyone,

I have recently purchased a 2008 TDCi and have been very happy with it, great economy and a good amount of torque. It is my first 'nice' car, as all my previous cars have been older cars without all the fancy things like aircon/heaters etc. There is one thing that I am not sure about, so thought I would get everyones ideas if it is normal or not.

It has happened probably 3 or 4 times, when the wheels break traction under acceleration (once in gravel, the other times on slippery wet roads, I'm not a hoon!) it feels like the traction control is trying to kick in, and then there is a big 'Bang' sound that scares the crap out of me, and it seems to cut the power to the wheels and then all returns to normal.

Has anyone heard of this? Too me it doesn't sound normal, but Im new to 'new' cars so not sure if it is normal.

Cheers guys.
Mine did that just after I fitted my driving lights after I gave it some, and I **** myself, stopped to see if my driving lights where on the road
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post