If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default VE Commodore named best Australian car

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226621956105

Old 16-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

Sigh....

I'm surprised ford got 2nd n 3rd to be honest.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should just name Wheels and Motor GM Magazine their that biased... Needless to say i stopped buying them ages ago and find carsguide more of a realistic opinion.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What a meaningful award that is... Seems like something they made up. IMO i see it better for Ford, Ford got 2nd for 1 model in the range whereas Olden got it for an entire model designation.

Anywho grain on salt.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Bollocks!!!

VE is a good car. FG is way better.
Old 16-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Bollocks!!!

VE is a good car. FG is way better.

But the Falcon isnt Australian
Old 16-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 Falcons
1 Territory
1 Commodore
1 Monaro
1 48-215 (FX)
1 Charger
1 HQ Kingswood

Ever heard the term "1 trick pony"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This new award seems rather timely, given the bad news which has been emerging about the Commodore's future in recent days.

A cynic might even think Holden might have asked Wheels for some sort of 'return' on their advertising spend, something which could divert attention away from their current media predicament.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Meanwhile almost anyone else will rate the Territory as the best as it showed ingenuity coming into a booming market segment.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
But the Falcon isnt Australian
Sorry, I forgot..
Old 16-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
nstg8a

I think the terri had too many quality issues to be awarded the top gong, I'd go the fg xr6t I reckon, over the ba. The ba might have been the saving grace for ford, but the fg is the ultimate incarnation of it...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Booo Hooo Ford didn't get number one. Same old predictable comments about bias and irrelevance. Its getting kinda old but still amusing seeing as those comments are borne of pure bias anyway.

The story in question is part of the 60th Anniversary edition of Wheels. I got the magazine in the post today and had a quick flick through. It looks like an absolute cracker of an edition - I love reading about Australia's auto history and all the amazing stories and features that have been in the magazine over the last 60 years.

A bunch of journos were given a secret vote for the best Australian car, so it was always going to be dominated Fords and Holdens, and its a one off, made up award of little significance in the scheme of things.

I haven't read the story yet, but from what I took from it flicking through it might have been more appropriately called the Most significant Australian car. From that point of view the top 3 is spot on.

XR6 Turbo was a game changer. Territory was too, but the VE Commodore was the only clean sheet Australian designed car ever and was a massively important model in so many ways. The FG in comparison was just a re-skinned BF - not even in the same ball park as the VE. Thats not a comment on which is a better car by the way - that would be a personal choice...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
Eldubayu
Banned

Wink Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I think the terri had too many quality issues to be awarded the top gong, I'd go the fg xr6t I reckon, over the ba. The ba might have been the saving grace for ford, but the fg is the ultimate incarnation of it...
Totally agree. Teri are awful quality wise (the first ones, at least), and BA was the defib Ford needed after the AU heart attack.

And how the hell did the Charger get in there, they were right up there with the Leyland P76 in handling and poor fit. The steering was like a PS3 game, absolutely no feel.

VE is deserved winner .................. Although the cynic in me suggests that Holden (GM) advertises a lot in Wheels Mag.
Eldubayu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although I personally think the FG Falcon is a better car than the VE Commodore, I commend Holden on this achievement
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

As much as the XRGT is my absolute favorite Ford ever, I'd suggest the XA was heaps more Australian, and the 1st TRUE Aus Falcon?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast the FG Falcon made it into that small list. There are so many models of Falcons and for it to be mentioned, it can't be that bad. But of course, the key to being the "Best Aussie car" is to have a Holden badge on it.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

what a load of TRIPE
Fords have been cleaning house over holdens since the BA came out. The FG is miles better then the VE model they claim the best ever. PLEASE. Just last year the FG was named the SAFESET car you could buy on the used market out of EVERY car...not just aussie cars. The six cyl engines make a mockery of the holden donks in the real world...and that's been the case for nearly ten years. Not to mention the current FG interior is far superior to the base commodore interior. Maybe the unbelievable BLIND spot with archaic a b c pillairs should have been mentioned. What about the small matter of drivelines(gearboxes)!!!???? the commie doesn't even rate at times in the past ten years....

I could go on and on and on but as someone already mentioned...the timing seams to be perfect seeing as they just were forced by the media to save face an release the recent figure hype stories.
OMG what a scam
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Meh...Wheels magazine.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on them.
Doesnt make much difference in the end, people will have their bias and buy what they like.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldubayu View Post
And how the hell did the Charger get in there, they were right up there with the Leyland P76 in handling and poor fit. The steering was like a PS3 game, absolutely no feel.

The Charger had an excellent race history....Fair call it didn't win the big one, but that's only due to the wheel nuts jamming on the swollen wheel studs. Even then, it came in a respectable 3rd.....And it was only running a 6 banger, not the "big V8"....

Add in, it took 30+ years for any Aussie designed 6 cyl to come close to it's quickness....Even then, they needed a turbo to do it.

There were also plenty of other innovations with that car, but considering you're biased towards the blue oval, you wouldn't understand....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VE 1st... For worst looking car in the past decade. Bloody ugly looking things they are!
Ibanezteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #22
Falcman0o7
Banned

Wheels commodore and motor commodore magazines are great!
Oh and the commodore cup is just as great! oh wait? I mean the V8 Supercars
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post

There were also plenty of other innovations with that car, but considering you're biased towards the blue oval, you wouldn't understand....
My comments also suggested that the VE is a deserved winner. But you are right, I'm a Ford fan
Eldubayu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
This new award seems rather timely, given the bad news which has been emerging about the Commodore's future in recent days.

A cynic might even think Holden might have asked Wheels for some sort of 'return' on their advertising spend, something which could divert attention away from their current media predicament.
Heh heh heh .... eeeevil thoughts there.
Old 16-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Booo Hooo Ford didn't get number one. Same old predictable comments about bias and irrelevance. Its getting kinda old but still amusing seeing as those comments are borne of pure bias anyway.

The story in question is part of the 60th Anniversary edition of Wheels. I got the magazine in the post today and had a quick flick through. It looks like an absolute cracker of an edition - I love reading about Australia's auto history and all the amazing stories and features that have been in the magazine over the last 60 years.

A bunch of journos were given a secret vote for the best Australian car, so it was always going to be dominated Fords and Holdens, and its a one off, made up award of little significance in the scheme of things.

I haven't read the story yet, but from what I took from it flicking through it might have been more appropriately called the Most significant Australian car. From that point of view the top 3 is spot on.

XR6 Turbo was a game changer. Territory was too, but the VE Commodore was the only clean sheet Australian designed car ever and was a massively important model in so many ways. The FG in comparison was just a re-skinned BF - not even in the same ball park as the VE. Thats not a comment on which is a better car by the way - that would be a personal choice...

FG a reskinned BA? ... you really are tranquilised.
Old 16-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
what a load of TRIPE
Fords have been cleaning house over holdens since the BA came out. The FG is miles better then the VE model they claim the best ever. PLEASE. Just last year the FG was named the SAFESET car you could buy on the used market out of EVERY car...not just aussie cars. The six cyl engines make a mockery of the holden donks in the real world...and that's been the case for nearly ten years. Not to mention the current FG interior is far superior to the base commodore interior. Maybe the unbelievable BLIND spot with archaic a b c pillairs should have been mentioned. What about the small matter of drivelines(gearboxes)!!!???? the commie doesn't even rate at times in the past ten years....

I could go on and on and on but as someone already mentioned...the timing seams to be perfect seeing as they just were forced by the media to save face an release the recent figure hype stories.
OMG what a scam

Seriously, this Holden vs Ford rubbish is well and truly in the past, its Aussie vs Imports now.
Holden or not, we need to commend and support Aussie cars as much as we can, because when they are gone they will be gone for good and we will be stuck with a choice of imported 4 cyl buzzboxes and suv's.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
The FG in comparison was just a re-skinned BF - not even in the same ball park as the VE.
There was a lot of misinformation being spread at the time of FG's introduction. Many were expecting a BF re-skin based on some comments made by the then yank president of Ford Australia- turns out the only element carried over was the rear suspension which itself was only ~5 years old at the time. 80% new isn't a re-skin.

Ford Australia has a history of evolving platforms (that they designed in the first place) and that shouldn't be held against them just because Holden went from using an ancient recycled Opel platform to finally designing their own as part of a larger GM global rear drive platform plan that was ultimately abandoned. Sure, given its export program the VE could be called a more significant car overall as it showcased Australian engineering talent in the (at the time) largest car market in the world.

But the "best" Australian car is the FG Falcon, it won every review against the VE. The turbo FGs in particular- nothing has come close to them since they were introduced. It was probably a mistake on Wheels' part to use the word "best"- you simply cannot label the VE "better" than FG when your own reviews rated the FG as the better car of the two. Clearly they gave this list the wrong title, it should have been "significant".
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Lets not forget the VE was holdens "billion dollar baby"
R&D was massive......iirc three times that of the FG!
......still don't rate it though.
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr gr8 View Post
Lets not forget the VE was holdens "billion dollar baby"
R&D was massive......iirc three times that of the FG!
......still don't rate it though.
How did you work that out? FG was around $800m wasn't it?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In recent times the Territory would be the most significant Australian car. It is the type of car people want, an innovative SUV with diesel and Ford saw this before the SUV/soft roader craze took off. It saved Ford AUs **** and thousands of jobs directly/indirectly. Who knows what the story would be now if Ford didn't go thru with the terry and only relied on the BA/BF Falcon...
As for the VE being the only clean sheet Aussie designed car ever, how about XA, EA, BA?
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: