Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2024, 07:24 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8 petrol power to live on at Aston Martin

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...as-it-develops
Old 15-04-2024, 08:25 PM   #2
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Default Re: V8 petrol power to live on at Aston Martin

I think the car world has realised EV's as they are being sold to the sheep, I mean masses, are a furphy at best and a money pit which will send them broke.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 08:38 PM   #3
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
I think the car world has realised EV's as they are being sold to the sheep, I mean masses, are a furphy at best and a money pit which will send them broke.
Even after reading the other thread you say this?!

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2024, 08:39 PM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Irrelevant really given they don't sell to the masses. They're borderline a Bespoke company. Good they will keep selling them but no doubt with electrification that introduces weight and complexity that wouldn't excite me in the least.

Old 15-04-2024, 09:08 PM   #5
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Irrelevant really given they don't sell to the masses. They're borderline a Bespoke company. Good they will keep selling them but no doubt with electrification that introduces weight and complexity that wouldn't excite me in the least.

They are a bespoke company, no two Aston Martins are alike.

But their response is quite relevant as they aren't in a position to put their eggs in one basket, especially when the eggs are rotten.

I can appreciate the positives that come with a current spec EV, however I can't look past the glaring deficiencies in function, production and economics. I want to see the demise of the fossil fuel industry more than anyone on here but as it stands, there isn't a viable alternative that is at the very least, like for like but better in every aspect.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2024, 10:30 PM   #6
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know I keep harping on about this ... but technology doesn't travel in a liner and progressive manner. It has fits and starts. Sometimes even complete u-turns.

Take some flops, like,

Theranos (blood testing)
Google Glass
3D TV
Microsoft Kin
Apple Lisa
Apple Newton
Segway

Yet, there is little doubt that in the longer term, blood testing will be central to the health system. And they seem to be able to draw less blood yet understand more about the inner workings of the body.

Google Glass lost the PR battle, but VR headsets seem to be a thing.

Apple Newton was a complete flop at the time. But the core idea has morphed (over a few decades) into the iPhone.

As for EV ... it seems to have hit one of those inflection points that suggests that the market for EV is saturated, for now.

Yet, look at the technology progress happening on a number of fronts. Petrol engines, diesel engines, hybrid technologies, battery technologies, hydrogen economy, etc, etc.

All manufacturers are vying for your dollars for your personal mobility needs (aka cars). Instead of just ICS, there is now EV, and potentially hydrogen down the track. All of this tension and competition between technologies, ideas, and cost, will in the medium term push along the development of better automobiles. Sure, there will be winners and losers. But that is how our democratic capitalistic society makes progress.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2024, 10:36 PM   #7
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I know I keep harping on about this ... but technology doesn't travel in a liner and progressive manner. It has fits and starts. Sometimes even complete u-turns.

Take some flops, like,

Theranos (blood testing)
Google Glass
3D TV
Microsoft Kin
Apple Lisa
Apple Newton
Segway

Yet, there is little doubt that in the longer term, blood testing will be central to the health system. And they seem to be able to draw less blood yet understand more about the inner workings of the body.

Google Glass lost the PR battle, but VR headsets seem to be a thing.

Apple Newton was a complete flop at the time. But the core idea has morphed (over a few decades) into the iPhone.

As for EV ... it seems to have hit one of those inflection points that suggests that the market for EV is saturated, for now.

Yet, look at the technology progress happening on a number of fronts. Petrol engines, diesel engines, hybrid technologies, battery technologies, hydrogen economy, etc, etc.

All manufacturers are vying for your dollars for your personal mobility needs (aka cars). Instead of just ICS, there is now EV, and potentially hydrogen down the track. All of this tension and competition between technologies, ideas, and cost, will in the medium term push along the development of better automobiles. Sure, there will be winners and losers. But that is how our democratic capitalistic society makes progress.

There is a difference between the tech you listed and the current push towards EV's. There was no agenda behind the demise (or the success) of those products, the people pushing EV's and demonising ICE vehicles aren't doing so from a position of altruism or for the greater good.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #8
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
There is a difference between the tech you listed and the current push towards EV's. There was no agenda behind the demise (or the success) of those products, the people pushing EV's and demonising ICE vehicles aren't doing so from a position of altruism or for the greater good.
Oh, I disagree with this suggestion. All of those products/technologies were pushed - in some cases very hard - by entrepreneurs trying to make a buck out of a future technology.

For example, the online Investopedia lists one Henry Ford as their fourth greatest entrepreneurs. Now, a lot of people on this forum despise Elon Musk. Which is ironic, as this forum bears the name of a person who was at best a prickly and controversial personality. (Look up the history of Henry Ford sometime...)

Getting back to EV ... I completely agree with your sentiments about certain proponents pushing an unsuitable technology whilst engaging in ideological confrontation. I am particularly annoyed at ALP's ham fisted approach to emissions reduction. And the advertisements they (under the guise of the Commonwealth) have been placing on YouTube are bordering on false representations.

However, in the longer term, I do think that EV are going to be doing a greater share of automobile duties. I think in some cases, the business case for buying an EV is quite compelling. But, once again, the decision to purchase an EV (or not) should be left to the consumer. And not shoved down people's throats or be guilt purchased. I also think the government should stay out of the market. For example, the whingey articles in the SMH for the government to install more EV charging stations is a classic example of inappropriate market intervention.

As for Aston Martin back peddling on their EV plans, I suspect it was a relatively simple engineering decision to make. Most manufacturers have a five to ten year development road map. Most likely Aston Martin pulled their V8 plans out of the rubbish bin and back on the table.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2024, 09:22 AM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Do Aston even make their own V8? They were using the AMG unit for the Vantage

Old 17-04-2024, 07:38 PM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's relevant as Aston are so small and top end niche that they could continue with V8s as their customer base like the noise and feel. Add this to Porsche going down the e fuels path. I wonder if Jaguar will do an about turn and keep some of their selling models with their new inline 6 rather than their total switch to 3 new Aston-priced EVs.

It's at a moment of inflection for sure. There's pushback from the working and middle class to EVs as they currently are in the US (big market), and early adopters have bought fully now. Will be interesting to see how it goes - technically the Tony Seba vid at University of Colorado Boulder years ago was along the lines of 2023 was the point at which EV price would be comparable to ICE and EV sales take over, going up a rapid S curve - we're not seeing this, although the cheap price has been achieved by some of the Chinese imports. Tesla has cut 10% of its workforce after a miss in sales, in most recent reporting. Chinese EV makers are in hunger games consolidation, Volvo wrote Polestar to zero, Ford walked back, Jeep walked back, the Germans walked back, GM walked back, a Chinese brand has done a semi-solid state battery - there's creative destruction going on right now.