Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
SprintFg
Banned

Default The FGX as the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon?

I think the fgx will be the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon, particularly the turbo and supercharged V8 models.

Sure it's not as technically loaded as the commodore or Chrysler 300 cars but its biggest criticism is also it's best chance of being the ultimate enthusiast collectible car.

With almost the same mechanicals and interior as the FG model from 2008, we can be pretty confident any issues discovered Over the life of the model have been ironed out by fgx being end of the lifecycle of the product.

The Miami V8 has been about since 2011, the best V8 ford has ever made available in this country, fgx also enjoys 5 years lifecycle to discover and iron out any issues, The fgx in the xr8 also got the very best of what fpv had, the mechanicals are identical to GTF, a minor ecu remap separates them, but it gains sync2 as well as a fresh modern look.

The turbo model has the same benefit, same as the FG from 2008, again any issues discovered and ironed out.

Same deal with the interior electronics and suspension bits, air cond system, steering, etc etc etc.

So yes the fgx lacks all the modern day trinkets of the commodore but instead it comes as the best version of a well proven platform, with the best performance engines / drive trains ever offered in this country by ford, a well sorted out car with the benefit of all the testing and updates included to be the best of the best.

It's also the best that ford falcon will ever offer, Sync2 is a lovely system and it really compliments the solid well sorted out interior, it's simple but uses durable materials built to last. The look of the fgx is also different and more modern looking to FG but includes all the well proven FG/fpv driveline bits.

Can we imagine the commodore in 10 years time, half the gizmos won't work properly, the alcantara inserts will look weathered, scuffed and worn down, the fake chrome will fade, the sun will burn the head up display, the remote start becomes less sensitive and irregular, the fresh tech features and design issues will come to the fore, it won't be as fun n friendly in 10 years time as it is today. Today's tech cars will be considered as throw away cars as the amount of things that can and will go wrong with them, will cost too much to repair when warranty expires, I think the current commodore will fall well into this category whereas I think FGX/FG will not.

I think fgx will prove to be a robust reliable mechanical unit, the interior is simple and uses long lasting durable materials and will age well. the modern trinkets seen in commodore will look silly in years to come when they don't work properly, not so in FGX which is far simpler in design.

The drive trains in fgx are well proven, well sorted and the absolute best ford / fpv have with all updates included through the lifecycle of the product.

The fgx xr8 and sprint has the very best ford / fpv has mechanically and has sync2, as well as the benefit of all updates from the lifecycle of the engine / previous carried over parts, I believe placing fgx xr8 and xr8 sprint ahead of the fpv Miami cars as the ultimate evolution.

The fgx i6t is also the best evolution of the i6 engine, well proven over a long period and the best calibration of the lot, the xr6t / sprint model will be legendary and carry all the updates of the lifecycle of the engine. Even the 270kw version will have all the niggle bits sorted and any updates from any known issues included.

So not completely redesigning the last falcon will in my opinion make it the most well sorted robust car that enthusiast collectors can buy and keep longer term. I think fg2 will also be a close consideration as ultimate collectors but this car suffers from actually looking like a 2008 car and don't have the sync2 system. FGX on the other hand looks like a different more modern car but it's underbelly is the same glorious drive trains (with further updates) from fg2 /fpv.

The factory closes in a months time, there are still a few left, anyone who wants the best of the best, the ultimate evolution, last of a long heritage, be it a xr6t, xr6, G6ET or XR8, go get one now!!!!!
Old 11-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: The FGX as the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon?

Personally I think the B series will be sort after as time goes on aswell.. With tech advances etc anything the FG series have over it will feel 'old' to newer cars anyway. Just IMO But I have always though they are the angriest looking FPVs. After that my preference would be FGII FPVs.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:42 AM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Cool Re: The FGX as the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Personally I think the B series will be sort after as time goes on aswell.. With tech advances etc anything the FG series have over it will feel 'old' to newer cars anyway. Just IMO But I have always though they are the angriest looking FPVs. After that my preference would be FGII FPVs.
On the un performance side I think my bf2 ghia is a much nicer package then my wifes fg2. The bf doesn't have a touch screen like the wifes car, but atleast you want see it with the sun behind you, and apart from the ocasional warped front brakes (I blame towing, her car doesnt have tho optional 5th parking sensor) atleast the bf only cuts the rear speakers to reverse, not the whole lot like the fg2. Why is that an irritation? I have a long driveway, thats why. The bf doesn't have a creaking dashboard either in hot weather.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
STINKY NINJA
Banned

No.
Just no.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:06 AM   #5
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

I think the GTF will prove itself to be the ultimate collectors falcon.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a feeling that the FG FPV's will be the most sought out late model falcons in years to come...
Old 11-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
SprintFg
Banned

Sort of like the iPhone.. They keep the same basic formula but tweak it and add bits.. You would never take an iPhone 4 over an iPhone 7

Just like the FGX, the ultimate final evolution, same basic bits but better.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
XR6Noir

This thread seems familiar.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I also think the b series is a much better looking overall package.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Another Ford Forums my cars better than your car thread. Hopefully all these threads dry up with the end of production next month. Just enjoy what you have got and if you are still around in 30 years it might then and only then be worth something.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 11-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all..Sorry ..Can't leave this thread alone without adding my two cents worth.. Bias admitted too. I think there'll be no one single Falcon that'll be the ultimate. It's kind of unfair to compare them. My thoughts entirely here.
That said , here's a few stand outs I'd like to share if I may..
XR GT. to XW GT .Geez Louise..wow,,
XY GTHO That's unforgettable by any measure for me.
XA Coupe and 4 door ..First all Australian ..design as we all know
XB/XC..Especially the GT's..lookers and go-ers
XD/XE..New look caught my attention
EB/ED/EF/EL...Great sellers as a young driver then.
AU..The sleeper, turns out to be one of the most under rated of all time.Still have mine 13 years after buying it..
AU T Series..Outside the Factory and FPV GT's and some of the XR8's and 6's one of the most sought after Falcons nowadays..The 5.6 litre V8 ..Woohoo .Awesome handbuilt engine the centrepiece..
BA/BF ..Still look good in various guises and introduced us to the beaut Barra N/A and Turbo engines..pretty significant
FG.. well sorted out car ..Looks good ..goes good..
FGX..The very last model..after 25 or so different Falcons it leads to this.
I really like it , can't afford one in any configuration so no chance to compare it with my FG XR6 until I get a ride in one at least.One day I hope.

Because it's the very last one I suspect it'll always carry more value than most others , especially the Sprints so Ill leave it at that.

I'm not sure that the lack of gizmo's compared to Commodore is necessarily good or bad..Only time will tell on that score . Will just say in that regard all the additional stuff in a Commie won't save them either though when they wind up in about a year from now..

For whatever reasons talk about our Falcons , the beauty or abilities are always a very personal thing so enjoy them ,get frustrated by them , love them or hate them as you choose..
Cheers Rod..
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
Juicy330

The only fgx that would be desirable would be the sprint but lets face it the most desirable falcon will always be a xy gtho phase 3, and just my 2 cents the gtf was a fail the rspec beats it hands down

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_classic View Post
The only fgx that would be desirable would be the sprint but lets face it the most desirable falcon will always be a xy gtho phase 3, and just my 2 cents the gtf was a fail the rspec beats it hands down

Are you serious?

The fgx xr8 IS the fpv r-spec just with a more modern look and sync2. It's the exact same mechanically, engine, tune, wheels, suspension, tyres, exact same car.

The GT-F is also exact same as a r-spec with a better tune. How can you call it a fail and the r-spec better?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
Juicy330

The fgx xr8 is ugly and the gt rspec was quicker then the gtf

Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Juicy330

Fpv will always be worth more then a falcon

Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Car valuation is a fickle thing. Just being "the best" does not necessarily mean it will the a collectors item. Look at the numbers anyway, there are more sprints built then some of the FPV specials...

But really, the FG-X will unlikely be the ultimate collectors item, you have 50 years of heritage in previous models, and (some of) those models have already developed a large amount of collectability that will always be built upon.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 11-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FGX styling is too polarising, many including me think its ugly with its hodge podge of styling ideas chucked together, i still prefer the original 2008 FG models even over the FG2 cars looks wise.
8 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_classic View Post

It's not too often that someone is wrong about every single point they make

BA XR8 Manual
Old 11-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
DJR

I love the styling. From the ever so slight front splitter to the Sprint's spoiler to the way the tail light illuminates and everything in between.

What I really love is what I did this afternoon. Took it out for an hour in the brilliant Spring sunshine, windows down, giving it some stick all on my own. I didn't buy mine to be a museum piece. I bought it to enjoy driving an iconic piece of Australian motoring.
]
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #20
Bent8
Long live the GT !

FG-X is a nice design but I doubt it will be remembered as the best looking Falcon.

A few months back, I was looking at buying an FGX XR8. My budget was around $50k and after seeing one in the metal, it just didn't do it for me, from some angles you can see how it's just an FG with a new face/rear-end.

I ended buying a 2011 GT instead... why you may ask ?

Mostly because it wears the GT badge, I find touchscreens in cars distracting and because it's a GT !

Some people don't see the full significance of this badge... not only were they smashing Holden's at Bathurst and the fastest sedans in the world for a while, the original 1967 XR GT was also Australia's 1st ever performance sedan !

All Falcon's will be remembered for the great cars they are but we all know which badge will be fondly remembered for it's heritage.

By the way, I could care less what mine is worth in 20 years !

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #21
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
Are you serious?

The fgx xr8 IS the fpv r-spec just with a more modern look and sync2. It's the exact same mechanically, engine, tune, wheels, suspension, tyres, exact same car.

The GT-F is also exact same as a r-spec with a better tune. How can you call it a fail and the r-spec better?
It is not an fpv at all, its a falcon,it may share similar specs but its definitely not an fpv and never will be,and the sprint name has been so overused now it means nothing...
The only xr8 sprint I think of when the name is mentioned is an ed falcon;)
Old 11-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #22
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
FG-X is a nice design but I doubt it will be remembered as the best looking Falcon.

A few months back, I was looking at buying an FGX XR8. My budget was around $50k and after seeing one in the metal, it just didn't do it for me, from some angles you can see how it's just an FG with a new face/rear-end.

I ended buying a 2011 GT instead... why you may ask ?

Mostly because it wears the GT badge, I find touchscreens in cars distracting and because it's a GT !

Some people don't see the full significance of this badge... not only were they smashing Holden's at Bathurst and the fastest sedans in the world for a while, the original 1967 XR GT was also Australia's 1st ever performance sedan !

All Falcon's will be remembered for the great cars they are but we all know which badge will be fondly remembered for it's heritage.

By the way, I could care less what mine is worth in 20 years !
Nothing wrong with your decision to buy a GT. I will presume it was a 335 GT? If so its certainly at the top echelon of the ford/fpv collectibility list. I6T or supercharged V8 will be where all the interest is.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #23
Juicy330

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
It's not too often that someone is wrong about every single point they make
Do explain how I was wrong?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #24
malazn mafia
Boss 335

FG-X with the corporate front and rear removed and replaced with FG items would be the best. I already had a spare FG so did the reverse and am rewiring it to be mechanically and electrically an FG-X.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

FG still has a corporate look...just sayn'.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #26
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
FG still has a corporate look...just sayn'.
Which car does fg take its styling cues from? Doesn't seem to match too much else from 07/08 era.

Edit: closest seems to be Mondeo,but only in the front...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 12-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #27
grimmo82
Starter Motor

I was tossing up between getting a new FGX XR8 or a Boss 335 GT but even a 2010 manual people were still asking over $50k and I couldn't quite justify shelling out that much for a 6 year old car. I also was a bit hesitant because the FGX interior wasn't as good as my XR50 Turbo interior with the piano black ICC plus thought the FG looked better as depending on the colour the FGX didn't quite look right. But after the one drive in a silhouette FGX XR8 manual you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. And the FGX was made for that colour I'm sure of it. FGX looks a whole lot better in the flesh.

Previous Rides:
2010 FG XR50 Turbo Sedan Manual Sunburst
2006 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan Auto Lightning Strike
1994 EF Futura Sedan Manual Burgundy
1989 EA Fairmont Sedan Auto Mint Green
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Which car does fg take its styling cues from? Doesn't seem to match too much else from 07/08 era.

Edit: closest seems to be Mondeo,but only in the front...
Faintly resembles the Ford Fusion. But the Ford Fusion looks like it's second cousin with Down syndrome .
Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
I think the fgx will be the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon, particularly the turbo and supercharged V8 models.
FGX the ultimate collectors Falcon? You think it will overtake the GTHO in collectibility.

The problem is no-one wants them now so why would anyone want them later.

At least with the GTHOs of 50 years ago, everyone wanted them, lusted after them..

It's nice to have a dream....I guess you're hoping you're on to a gold mine with a sprint

Last edited by Stefan; 12-09-2016 at 08:12 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #30
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i first saw the fgx i was angry !!!....thought it was hideous and being the last one i was really dissapointed

but really quickly i liked the back end, always liked the idea of it being no frills ,it was just the front?
i think you have to put in perspective how good they look being as basic as they are, no fpv wings , stripes etc .

I reckon one of the things that makes a car collectible is how well they dress up ....take a look at how nice the fgx race cars look , they have real potential

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Closed Thread