Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
phoenix99

Default For those who live in adelaide

Hi guys, I will be moving to Adelaide in mid January and wondering about what are the best suburbs to live in and which suburbs I should avoid.

I will be working in Edinburgh (20 something km north of Adelaide), but I think that area is industrial and not sure if the surrounding suburbs are any good in that area.

Any input would be appreciated.

phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
stera

Hi Phoenix,

There are so many factors to take into consideration here!

Firstly is your budget. This will make decisions on where you are located!

Other factors include where you are coming from, as Adelaide peak hour traffic, whilst terrible for us, is far from anything in Melb or Syd! So if you dont mind driving 30+mins to get to work, you will have a little more flexibility.

In a nutshell you get good and bad everywhere! Elizabeth and Salisbury (which is close to work) cop a bit of flack for being Adelaide's 'feral' zones, but you get good and bad people in any location throughout the world and there are certainly pockets in both suburbs that are new & very nice!

For where you are working, if you would like a home that is in a suburb with a better reputation, but still close to work I would say Greenwith or Golden Grove are worth a look in addition to Northgate

If its lifestyle you are after, Port Adelaide is taking off and there is so much development atm and then there are suburbs like North Adelaide, Medindie, Erindale, St. Morris, St Peters that are close to the city but I would suggest deep pockets!

Whether you are renting or buying, I would advise having a look on www.realestate.com.au for an idea on what you will be paying and also www.whereis.com.au to get an idea of surrounding suburbs.

Have a look, see how you go! Even if you close your eyes and point, after a few months you will get an idea of what you do and dont like!
Hope that gives you some help!
stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was talking to a friends brother who just moved back to QLD from Adelaide yesterday,
he reckons his elec bill is $800 a quarter and rent was $250 a week for a dumpy old ex housing commision house in a rough area,plus the water was $55 a week,
i was very scepticle of this,does this sound like what you locals pay or was he exagerating
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
i was talking to a friends brother who just moved back to QLD from Adelaide yesterday,
he reckons his elec bill is $800 a quarter and rent was $250 a week for a dumpy old ex housing commision house in a rough area,plus the water was $55 a week,
i was very scepticle of this,does this sound like what you locals pay or was he exagerating
Qld rental prices sound like they are on par with SA, you can pay that plus more in the lower quality areas in a low quality house.

I don't get the water usage though, that is a huge amount no matter what state you are in surely.
Have to wonder what they were doing to use enough water to come to that amount (detailing business, growing a crop or simply very wasteful).

To have such a high electricity bill they must have been using some power pulling stuff (air con, big lights, power tools, pool pumps etc).

I would be interested to see what anyone in Adelaide says to your post, hope the bloke was exagerating.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
amb1206

My electricity bills are $150-180 per quarter. I couldn't find a water bill over $180 a quarter - can't imagine how much water you would need to be using to have $55 a week water bill.

Spring Bank Waters looks nice and is close to Edinburgh. Or you could try Gawler, One Tree Hill if you don't mind driving a bit further.
amb1206 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
He must have had a hydroponics setup stashed away somewhere for those electricity and water costs! We pay about $300 a quarter for electricity and our last water bill was a shade under $200 for 6 months I believe.

As for suburbs for the OP, having grown up in the Golden Grove area with many friends still there, it would be a good place to start. A 3 bedroom villa house would probably start at the $250,000 mark and head northwards from there depending on condition. The wife and I used to rent there for $210 a week, but I'm sure it's gone up since then though.

Gawler would be another reasonable place to live, but head further north for Gawler and stay away from the southern suburbs of it. We always get some drop kicks walking across the oval when we play cricket down in South Gawler.

Cheaper suburbs around the Edinburgh would be Salisbury, Elizabeth, Paralowie and Burton.

Edinburgh isn't really an industrial area (I think), more of a defence force area with the RAAF base down there, the DSTO and BAE Systems as well. Not to sure what industries are around those though.
Old 31-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
290v
290v

I live in Blakeview and it seems alright i grew up in the area Craigmore is alright avoid Daveron Pk or Smithfield
Old 31-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

As stera has already mentioned, Id stick to suburbs which have a better reputation like Golden Grove, Greenwith and the like.

I cant speak for the northern suburbs as I live down south, but I know I want to steer clear of the suburbs like Elizabeth, Salisbury & in some respects Paralowie.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Says oh ye from Christies Downs... :
Old 31-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
phoenix99

thanks for the info! Very helpful.

This is my first job after graduating and first time moving out from parents place. I will be working at the RAAF base in Edinburgh.

There seems to be be plenty of nice properties (2 bedroom apartments) for rent for about $200-240 but since I am making about $750-800 rent seems to be quite a bit of a chunk of that especially paying $110 pw on car loan as well. There are plenty of cheap places <150 but all located in Elizabeth area.

So far I am looking at the following suburbs: Klemzig, Ovingham, Glenside but will be heading to Adelaide in the new year to suss things out.
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
So far I am looking at the following suburbs: Klemzig, Ovingham, Glenside but will be heading to Adelaide in the new year to suss things out.
They're pretty close to the city and will probably cost more than $250 a week in rent to live there. The suburbs we've named are a lot closer to the RAAF base, but if you do end up in one of those suburbs you're looking at, you'll be heading out of the city and not with the peak hour traffic, so that will help in traveling to/from work.

Perhaps check out Mawson Lakes, Northgate, Oakden and Walkley Heights. They are newish developments all in the northern suburbs so there should be plenty of rental properties there. They probably wouldn't be that cheap though.

Here's a few I've searched for on Realestate.com.

Ingle Farm
Broadview
Valley View
Ridgehaven
Surrey Downs

Don't expect a mansion for those prices though. As with the rest of the country, to get a decent rental, you have to pay for it.
Old 31-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Says oh ye from Christies Downs... :
Thats why I say .....SADLY after it. Its not my first choice, but if I had to choose between Elizabeth and Christie Downs I'd stay where I am. LOL

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 31-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Thats why I say .....SADLY after it. Its not my first choice, but if I had to choose between Elizabeth and Christie Downs I'd stay where I am. LOL
I'd agree with you there shav, Ive worked the midnight shift in servos both north and south of adelaide and the northern ones are much more lively!! :evil3: :evil3:

but as others have said, these areas have some decent places too, I live in croydon park close to the city and its fairly pricey considering but still not a great area,

but on your note the first joke i heard when i moved to Adelaide was:
How can you tell an Elizabeth MILF?

She's still underage!

(sorry if that offends anyone, just giving the idea on how people perceive the area)

But anyways, good luck on where ever you move (but yeah what you mate says on his bills down here sound pretty excessive) Ive never paid over $150 per quarter on electricity (i have no gas either so thats including hot water and stove) and I would only have to pay water bill if i use over a certain amount (unsure what that is cos ive never gone over it, so my landlord covers that), but i do pay $170 per week in rent on a one bedroom unit but its positioning is perfect, I can walk to church pushbike to work and TAFE (im an apprentice) I still make ends meet but its tight but you'll be earning twice as much as me so there should be no issues for ya
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
I'd agree with you there shav, Ive worked the midnight shift in servos both north and south of adelaide and the northern ones are much more lively!! :evil3: :evil3:
I refuse to drive thru there at night. Thats just a personal choice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
but on your note the first joke i heard when i moved to Adelaide was:
How can you tell an Elizabeth MILF?

She's still underage!
LOL. classic

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 31-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, Elizabeth is pretty good. Just when you arrive, drop into the nearest hardware store and buy a tonne of dynabolts. Pretty well everything you own will be needed to be bolted down. Grow a mullet, buy a wardrobe of flannies, stock the fridge with VB or westend and start beating you're missus. You'd fit right in in no time.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #16
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boganville = Elizabeth. Where almost every house ( there all housing trust) has empty bottles and slab cartons, old car bodies and dis-used rotton furniture as their landscaping! Perhaps maybe gawler / evanston gardens may be considered?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #17
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He must have had a hydroponics setup stashed away somewhere for those electricity and water costs! We pay about $300 a quarter for electricity and our last water bill was a shade under $200 for 6 months I believe.

As for suburbs for the OP, having grown up in the Golden Grove area with many friends still there, it would be a good place to start. A 3 bedroom villa house would probably start at the $250,000 mark and head northwards from there depending on condition. The wife and I used to rent there for $210 a week, but I'm sure it's gone up since then though.

Gawler would be another reasonable place to live, but head further north for Gawler and stay away from the southern suburbs of it. We always get some drop kicks walking across the oval when we play cricket down in South Gawler.

Cheaper suburbs around the Edinburgh would be Salisbury, Elizabeth, Paralowie and Burton.

Edinburgh isn't really an industrial area (I think), more of a defence force area with the RAAF base down there, the DSTO and BAE Systems as well. Not to sure what industries are around those though.
Funny you say that as this bloke was an ar@e%ole 3 3 years ago when i last saw him and a big smoker so your probably right about the hydraponics and power useage, i think centrelink gave him a GOLD Watch 3 years ago,before moving to SA
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #18
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Boganville = Elizabeth. Where almost every house ( there all housing trust) has empty bottles and slab cartons, old car bodies and dis-used rotton furniture as their landscaping! Perhaps maybe gawler / evanston gardens may be considered?
You forgot the spray painted house number on the wall.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #19
FuturaFalcon

Quote:
They're pretty close to the city and will probably cost more than $250 a week in rent to live there. The suburbs we've named are a lot closer to the RAAF base, but if you do end up in one of those suburbs you're looking at, you'll be heading out of the city and not with the peak hour traffic, so that will help in traveling to/from work.

Perhaps check out Mawson Lakes, Northgate, Oakden and Walkley Heights. They are newish developments all in the northern suburbs so there should be plenty of rental properties there. They probably wouldn't be that cheap though.

Here's a few I've searched for on Realestate.com.

Ingle Farm
Broadview
Valley View
Ridgehaven
Surrey Downs

Don't expect a mansion for those prices though. As with the rest of the country, to get a decent rental, you have to pay for it.
I live in surrey downs

Il agree that the better suburbs are TTG, Golden Grove for the mid-price range, id avoid salisbury / elizabeth / pooraka though
FuturaFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
290v
290v

Angle Vale or Two wells near the air base
Old 03-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #21
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in Golden Grove and its a pretty nice area, id say anywhere in Tee Tree Gully (Golden Grove, Greenwith, Wynn Vale, Modbury, Fairview Park, Banksia Park, Redwood Park, Ridgehaven, Surrey Downs etc) is pretty good.

If you want to be closer to work my sister has had two houses in Paralowie which seems pretty good. Theres also alot of appartment buildings going up in Mawson Lakes, so that might be a good place to start out, although it might be expensive as its a new area.

But yeah as its been said avoid Salsbury and Elizabeth sorta area.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Davey Gravy
Regular Kent

Everyone is bagging out Salisbury???......Lucky, I live in Salisbury East
XW Falcon 6 - 250 2V
Davey Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Gravy
Everyone is bagging out Salisbury???......Lucky, I live in Salisbury East
You don't wanna live anywhere near Davey, stay away from Salisbury East. Too many kents LOL
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #24
westoftown

you move to the "dodgy end" of town you'll get bogans/ferals, you move to the "nicer end" of town you'll get wannabe aristocrats, and snobs.

it's an unwinnable situation, maybe pick the middle ground and see how you go

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #25
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoftown
you move to the "dodgy end" of town you'll get bogans/ferals, you move to the "nicer end" of town you'll get wannabe aristocrats, and snobs.
It's Adelaide, 99% of the population is bogans and ferals. the ones that dress tidy, live in nice houses and drive nice cars are bogans too, but they can control there alcohol intake.

the other 1% are murderers, psycopaths, or fans of pedobear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoftown
it's an unwinnable situation
yeah, that about sums it up.

as for suburbs, paralowie isn't too bad
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
FPV 5TH

Ive lived at Burton for some 20 odd years and there has never been any trouble around my street fortunately. Springbank Waters is pretty nice but likely to be pricey for renting. I would think you could get a small 3 bedroom house in Burton for around 200-220 a week and its onlt about 10 mins from the RAAF base
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
It's Adelaide, 99% of the population is bogans and ferals. the ones that dress tidy, live in nice houses and drive nice cars are bogans too, but they can control there alcohol intake....
hahaha. Yes I agree with that comment

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #28
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

For reference, someone I know on another forum made these maps of Adelaide, I think you might find them handy

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #29
Davey Gravy
Regular Kent

lol @ Rick.....Ya "Bogan Kent"
XW Falcon 6 - 250 2V
Davey Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #30
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
Hi guys, I will be moving to Adelaide in mid January and wondering about what are the best suburbs to live in and which suburbs I should avoid.

I will be working in Edinburgh (20 something km north of Adelaide), but I think that area is industrial and not sure if the surrounding suburbs are any good in that area.

Any input would be appreciated.
Been employed to go work at the HNA project? If so, welcome aboard ;)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post