Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
CANFRY
Ba xr6

Default p plater driving V8s

im just wonderin if this would work
ive heard of people havn v8s in there dad/mums name and thats there only car and them goin to the rta sayin there parents are giving them the car for work ect and u have no other way of gettin a car and thats the only car registerd in your parents name does that work or does anyone know or heard of anyone trying this? i read it on the net n yeh.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
g220ba
FGX XR8

Regardless of who the vehicle is registered to if it is illegal for a p-plater to drive a v8 then the registration of the vehicle is irrelevant. It's all about the driving of the vehicle not the ownership.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

you can get a permit if it is required for work purposes but the workplace has to organise them, go over your driving record etc
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing is stopping a P plater owning a V8. Just can't drive it I believe.

You can get exceptions, but they have to be approved by the RTA or equivalent. There has to be a reason, you cannot just ask for an exception because you want one.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was/is (dunno if its still around) that if your family owned the vehicle before the restrictions were introduced (06? in QLD) and that is the only car in your familys name then you can get a permit to drive it. Otherwise no way, If you need a work permit then you'll only be permitted to drive it during work hours, caught out driving out of those hours and you'll be in serious ****
Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the RTA will issue an exemption if it's the only vehicle the parents own, but i think they really scrutinise it now since a newspaper got hold of all the exemptions they issued and one was for a girl to drive her dads Porsche 911 Turbo

But in all seriousness do we really need more P platers with powerfull cars ?

** Puts on flame suit**
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

The laws are there for a reason, reasonable exemptions can be made but dodging a way around them to get something against the law just because you want it isn't really doing the right thing by anyone, and is going to make it harder for others in a legitimate situation who genuinely NEED an exemption to get it.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

P platers are really learner drivers that are allowed to go solo. they still have a lot of learning to do and should be restricted in what they drive untill they learn a bit more.
I'll put it in perspective you can get a private pilots licence in a few months but they restrict what you can fly because you are still learning, would you like a novice pilot flying a 747 or an FA18?
I'm expecting all the "hard done by " and "discriminated against" P platers to scream , rant and carry on about my comments but the fact is under 25s and P platers are over represented in our road toll statistics. if they were just killing themself I'd say they knew the risks but they often take out inocent victims as well

It's simple really , P plates = no turbo no V8

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

couldnt P platers just wait, I know it is totally against gen X principles, but I dont think it is too much too ask to wait a year or 2 to get into a V8.
+1 to au3xr6. New drivers dont know everything so should spend a couple of years learning the ropes before they are given a lethal weapon.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

they need to make it no turbo/v8 on your L-plates aswell as at the moment, for all the government cares, you can drive a bugatti veyron (if your lucky enough to be able to afford one)
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
they need to make it no turbo/v8 on your L-plates aswell as at the moment, for all the government cares, you can drive a bugatti veyron (if your lucky enough to be able to afford one)
But you'd have a full lisenced driver in the car who is legally responsible to what you do. Much lower risk
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned and drove a v8 on my P's. That was only 4 years ago before the law changed in QLD. Probably drove the v8 less hard than any other car because I understood the limitations of the vehicle.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
AcidTrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I owned and drove a v8 on my P's. That was only 4 years ago before the law changed in QLD. Probably drove the v8 less hard than any other car because I understood the limitations of the vehicle.
And you could hear the engine gulping the petrol when you pushed the V8 =P
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the law should be power to weight ratio not just no V8...
my 16 year old son cant drive my dads old NL fairlane that he is getting but can drive our FG XR6??
The FG is way way faster than the NL.....infact there would be 4 cyl cars quicker than the NL
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
boss54

i got my ba xr8 wen i was 19. the main reason i got it was for the cool factor. none of my mates had a v8 and i wanted to be the cool guy. i used to get pulled over all the time and i got hit 3 times for driving a high powered car. now wen i think about it i spose i should of got my full licence first i done some dumb ****** in that car and i know why they have these laws now
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I'm not against P plate restrictions, but the way it is currently set up is complete rubbish.
Quote:
the law should be power to weight ratio not just no V8...
my 16 year old son cant drive my dads old NL fairlane that he is getting but can drive our FG XR6??
The FG is way way faster than the NL.....infact there would be 4 cyl cars quicker than the NL
Agree, power to weight ratio. Not a straight out ban.

To the OP regarding a V8 being the parents only car, it's not as easy at it sounds. They'll most likely ask you what you do for work, and why you can't afford a car for yourself. Anyone who works can likely afford a car even if it's a $2,000 clunker.

Hell, if your parents own a V8 i'm sure they could throw $2,000 for a clunker too so don't get your hopes up and just wait like the majority of other P platers are. Me included.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
RAPID_BA
Banned

P-platers need to drive slower cars. Even the i6 will outrun many of the older V8s. Speed limited and slow as hell to accelerate, with 6pot brembos too.

The facts are that most p-platers drive beyond their abilities. They just "wanna go fast" wanna be quicker, they drive with absolutely no margin for error, they never foresee other drivers mistakes.

For instance if there is a crest on a hill, the p-plater will come flying over it not aware and with no regard for what is on the other side.

The facts are you cant teach maturity, thats the issue, im no peter brock so i dont drive like one, p plater think they can.

I have a high powered car, when does it get crossed up with a nice opposite lock, screaming up the road?????.... Never.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
jezza11

I agree, bike riders have power to weight ratio, why shouldnt car drivers, I just got off my p's, i see people with there rice burners, crushing and what ever, want to be drifters. I bet half of these cars they wouldnt be aloud to drive.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
P-platers need to drive slower cars. Even the i6 will outrun many of the older V8s. Speed limited and slow as hell to accelerate, with 6pot brembos too.

The facts are that most p-platers drive beyond their abilities. They just "wanna go fast" wanna be quicker, they drive with absolutely no margin for error, they never foresee other drivers mistakes.

For instance if there is a crest on a hill, the p-plater will come flying over it not aware and with no regard for what is on the other side.

The facts are you cant teach maturity, thats the issue, im no peter brock so i dont drive like one, p plater think they can.

I have a high powered car, when does it get crossed up with a nice opposite lock, screaming up the road?????.... Never.

SOME P- Platers.

I know I sure as hell didn't drive around like that on my P's.
Maybe I was more aware because of the defensive driving courses I did. It does help you think about things. Should be compulsory for all new drivers.

I wanted to buy a V8 4x4 on my P's. It wasn't very fast at all, but since it was a V8 it was banned. Although on my P's I drove FG Xr6 and VE SV6. They are a hell of a lot quicker then many V8 4x4.

The rules need to be reviewed.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason why an old v8 is banned and a new xr6 is not, is the safety rating. You are more likely to survive a crash at 60ks in a new xr6 than a pre 90's car.

If I had a kid I would rather them drive a car that had a pretty good safety rating than an older car.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #21
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100 % agree with power to weight. They do it with bikes so why the hell not cars.

A few weeks ago about 5 ks from my house a car load of teenagers driving a 6cyl Falcon, failed to negotiate a bend and slammed into some tree's outside a house in excess of 180km/h. No skid marks, nothing.

There were six kids in that car which only seats 5, 2 girls died. At least 1 wasn't wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle and found 20 odd metres away in the front yard of the house, she died instantly and had to be identified by a tattoo because she couldn't be done visually. The other girl died a few hours later in hospital.

My apologies for the morbid post and it's a bit off topic but enoughs enough. I'm terrified of the day my kids start to drive.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #22
jezza11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
100 % agree with power to weight. They do it with bikes so why the hell not cars.

A few weeks ago about 5 ks from my house a car load of teenagers driving a 6cyl Falcon, failed to negotiate a bend and slammed into some tree's outside a house in excess of 180km/h. No skid marks, nothing.

There were six kids in that car which only seats 5, 2 girls died. At least 1 wasn't wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle and found 20 odd metres away in the front yard of the house, she died instantly and had to be identified by a tattoo because she couldn't be done visually. The other girl died a few hours later in hospital.

My apologies for the morbid post and it's a bit off topic but enoughs enough. I'm terrified of the day my kids start to drive.

i do believe i heard about that, as i stated before i have friends that do this kind of stuff also they work engines other ways
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'm trying to wrap my head around this;

Do your parents already own a car? It's probably a safe assumption to suggest that they do...?

So essentially you want them to get rid of whatever cars they own, buy a V8 in their name so you can attempt to pull a shifty and drive it, leaving them with no car?

Forgive me if I've screwed something up, had to read your post at least a dozen times to try and work out what was going on.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #24
CODSASR

I think he just wants to buy a V8 but register in his folks name then transfer to his name.

To the OP I am sure if you went to the RTA they would tell you driving too and from work is not good enough for an exemption. You would need to be towing somthing with a bit of weight behind it even then they would be asking for proof from your boss and if you where lucky enough to be allowed to you would then only be allowed to drive it during the work hours specified by your boss.

Wheres the harm in waiting the 2-3 years to be on your opens before getting one?

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria this is the exemptions.

Exemption to drive a probationary prohibited vehicle

1. Automatic Exemption
The Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2009, automatically exempt a probationary driver, from the probationary prohibited vehicle restrictions, who is driving the vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at his or her employer’s request or is self employed and an Australian Business Number (ABN) is in force in relation to the person's business. No exemption document is required from VicRoads in these circumstances. However, the onus is on the driver to provide evidence to the police if requested.
A person is not permitted to drive the vehicle at any time for social reasons or reasons unrelated to work. In these cases the onus is upon the driver to provide evidence to the police that his or her driving is work connected.
A member of the police force who is the holder of a probationary car licence and the holder of an approved Driver Certificate Endorsement for a vehicle of that class is authorised to drive a probationary prohibited vehicle in the course of duty. No exemption document is required from VicRoads.
2. Exemption from the probationary prohibited vehicle restriction where hardship must be demonstrated
Exemptions may only be granted by VicRoads if the nature of the person’s occupation, essential activities or family circumstances is such that compliance with the restrictions would cause undue hardship on the person or the person’s family. In considering an exemption, VicRoads must also have regard to the likely effect of the exemption on safe, efficient and equitable road use in Victoria.
If an exemption is issued, it will be made conditional for a specific vehicle and will include conditions and restrictions on how and when the vehicle can be used. This information will be sent to the probationary driver in writing and must be carried by the driver at all times when driving the probationary prohibited vehicle.
VicRoads may cancel an exemption if the probationary driver's licence is cancelled or suspended.
Applications will only be considered if the attached form is completed.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...edvehicles.htm
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #26
AcidTrip

So the point xisled is making is this:

bcoz its fully *** hektik wlehhhhhhhhhhhh is not gud enuf for exumpshuns brooooo!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
I think he just wants to buy a V8 but register in his folks name then transfer to his name.
I recall reading something similar to what he wants to do. Essentially, the V8 has to be the only car in the household and therefore has no choice but to drive it to be entitled to the exemption.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #28
burnz
VFII SS UTE

maybe look at the other side of things...
how much power can a N/A 4~6 gererate?? 220kw max 1700kg car after spending coin on it...

V8, 4T, 6T.. howmany kw can these make??? 350kw minimum..
even old school V8 can make that and only 1300kg..

Last edited by burnz; 06-03-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
SOME P- Platers.
All P-Platers. There is no exception to the rule. No matter how good they think they are behind the wheel, they still have no idea. Do your time and shut the hell up. Because no-one cares what a whinging P-Plater has to say. We only have to open the paper or watch the news to see another P-Plater caught at high speed, killing themselves and others to understand that the rules are not tough enough.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #30
RAPID_BA
Banned

forgive me if i think p-platers are generally immature drivers....

Firstly not so long ago a p-plater with 3 of his mates ended up upsidedown on my front lawn in his honda civic, i was outside before they could get out of the car, the police and i just didnt buy the ridiculous excuses

Secondly around the corner a young child was killed a few years back playing in their front lawn, a p-plater lost control of their car straight into their front lawn and the child

Thirdly, every time its raining around here i wince and hear people losing traction turning right from a side street, p-platers everytime

Fourthly, on the m4, its always p-platers in a hurry swerving in and out of traffic, changing 3 lanes at a time, zero margin for error stuff

Fifthly, i was a p-plater once and did the same dumb things they still do now, lucky to be alive myself

Sixthly im involved in a new road realities program to teach young people about some of the consequences of immature behaviour on the roads.

Lets face it p-platers are immature drivers, lets not put the deadly tools in their hands, V8s, turbos and supercharged cars i agree should not be available to them.. Id be on the cusp of taking 6 cylinder cars away too.

Sure some p-platers are responsible but there are too many of them that are not to ignore this
Closed Thread