Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Default Strange Vibrations

ok....

so after i went for a nice little drive yesterday along a nice smooth graded dirt road, i now have a strange vibration from underneath my car.

it happens when you engage the clutch for the first time, happened from cold start this morning as well.

also notice it about 3000rpm when it revs to that

i am thinking its the exhaust heat shield or something like that that .. i hope.... any other ideas what it may be ?

Chris

Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No idea chris... Didnt you have trouble with a rattly exhaust sheild before?

BTW its not raining down this way today... yet :P
Old 12-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

yeah thatnks :P

yeah apparently it was broken before... *shrug* hopefully its the same thing

haha yeah great, not here either !

Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Heatsheilds always seem to be the cause of rattles and such - I remember the guys at Carline just ripped the one off the EF Falcon and said there you go, gave me a wave as I left (probably thinking 'sucker' even though they didn't charge me anything), and I never had a problem with it.

I guess if you did start stop city driving all the time it would be a different matter, but isn't there only one set of traffic lights in Adelaide? Wait, do you guys even have electricity?

Remember, next time you go rallying down some dirt road in the wet in your Focus, use the things you hit to remove the parts from your car that were going to rattle! If you're going to a job, do it properly! :p

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
whippet_zetec
Supes

Chris,

With your Focus wouldnt you more concerned about something if it wasnt rattling??.....lol...:P
Old 12-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

oh you are a riot there timmeh :P hehe

yeah i am pretty sure its just the heat shield, has quietened down a bit now, still going to jack it up in the morning before work tomorrow

lol !.. yes if something wasnt rattling i would be worried

chris
Old 13-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

So does anyone have any decent ideas other then just giving me *^$%#?

Tim is the only one that has a decent idea so far

Chris
Old 13-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

howdy,

Can you actually feel a vibration, or just hear a rattle? If it’s just a rattling sound, it’s a very good chance that it is your cat heat shield, because it seems nearly every ST170/SVT owner on earth has had the same problem (including me). I have a fairly audible rattle on my car, especially when taking off, can't actually feel a vibration though.

Some guys have taken their ST's back to Ford 3 or 4 times to have the heat shield clamps retightened, but the shield simply works its way loose again. Apparently if you ignore it long enough, it will eventually fall off. So my solution for the moment is to turn my stereo up loud and pretend it isn't there until it drops off : . Seriously though, let me know if you have any success fixing it yourself, and I'll have a go at mine too.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

hi

thanks for that

yeah just a noise, cant feel a vibration at all all.

i would have to agree, it has already been replaced once before @ $90, so i think its the same thing, always sounds like its coming from the right front wheel side...

i like the idea of ignoring it, might do the same, wait till the car dies then take it to ford lol

cheers for the great help!

chris
Old 13-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

$90? Isn't it covered under warranty :( . I'll be stuffed, if I'm gonna pay to have it fixed, when its gonna happen again a few months down the track.

Well I'm off to remove my radiator air deflector to see if I can get a bit more cool air to my typhoon. ;)
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #11
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

nope wasnt covered at all, i was not happy at all when i found that out

haha nice stuff....

wouldnt mind a typhoon setup myself

pics

Chris