Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
noshe83
Starter Motor

Default A Little Upset

Well I got my new Ford Focus last week. It drives really well. But as I was coming home I got my first dose of trouble. The IGNITION WARNING light keeps flickering on and off. Now its on all the time. Took it to my Ford Dealer. He said everything is fine but he doesnt know why the warning light keeps coming on. I really like the car but Im upset because of the problem. Never expected anything to go wrong with a brand new car. :(

Ah well. Its booked in for tomorrow. Feeling really down.

Cheers

Naush

noshe83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
marcosambrose

Thats the south african build quality coming out there, its a brand new line coming from that plant, you have to expect some problems, after a year it will be fine and no-one will care that it comes from aouth africa, just look at the Golfs, they built there too.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You'll be right Naush, 99% chance it's a faulty wire or plug or something, it'll take more than that to change your mind once you get it back all fixed!!!!! Heaps of people have one or two new car niggles when new, something loose, something that won't work, or something playing up, always adjusted in the first service or just before. Would be nice if it didn't happen, but thankfully it sounds minor. A new engine might be a slightly bigger concern but thankfully sounds like you'll have an easy fix fingers crossed! Good luck!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
Forest Bear

Cool

Hmmm. Bit of a worry. And I don't even know when I'm getting mine. I suppose we get the early run off the production line. Maybe I should've bought a little later when they've ironed out all the niggles in the production line.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
Thats the south african build quality coming out there
I don't think that's a fair comment, cars from all over the world can have something happen to them.

Our family have had brand new vehicles from all over the world and invariably you always have something small happen. If your Focus is actually running and you're able to drive it, you're doing better than the brand new BA XR6 our family bought (Australian made of course).

Look at how many people have had real issues with their German cars like the Mk I Focus, I can refer to fordel, Resty (light switch issues), zetec (engine mounts, cats, who knows what else), there are many more I could point out.

A small electrical problem thats an inconvenience is annoying, I assume pre-delivery didn't find it or they wouldn't have given you the car until they had fixed. So I understand you might be frustrated by it, but let them fix it, and be happy with your new purchase. Hopefully you'll have many years of fun driving with it!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
Forest Bear

I really dislike the smoke and mirrors car companies use to hide the country of manufacture of their vehicles. Majority of people just accept that a BMW is made in Germany and Hondas are made in Japan which is not all true.

When I buy a German brand I expect it to be made in Germany or Japan etc etc. I just think the manufacturing in these countries surpasses anywhere simply because they have a different ethic. To the production line mugs its a matter of company and national pride. They are in love with the machines they make. Also quality control techniques such as inspecting the car at crucial points of assembly before it reaches the next point on the assembly line is more refined.

A very good example. The Peugeot 206 is manufactured in England and it had aweful build quality problems such as squeaks and rattles and ty fit and finish. Would you trust the English to build a good French car???

That said, the car I'm driving now (2001 Astra traded-in for a Zetec) was built by Opel in Antwerp. It's done 57k and I've never had a single issue with it. Perhaps lucky I guess.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Interesting point you bring up, ive heard a few people say a similar thing about it being built in South Af.

Im not so much worried about it as long as the car is up to scratch. Admittedly given the choice I would go for a Focus built in Germany over one built in South Africa (if it was available), mainly cos the Chermans have a good rep for build quality.

The issue with the ignition warning is one of those things to expect with buying a new new car. These new Foci are literally some of the first in the country therefore they're an entirely new model which needs to be put out on the road before these issues will show up. Its not as if your car is being used as an experiment, but as with every first run model of a new series, you can expect issues which will in turn be documented and rectified by Ford. So when Series II comes out (if there is one), the lessons are learnt and those issues arent there.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ud be more upset if you had the problems I had with our new focus on delivery...

Most of which are fixed now but its taken the shine away from the car, very dissapointed and as far as im concerned regarldess of how new the cars are theres no excuse for them to leave the factory with "OVERSPRAY" and buff marks.

As for comparing it with a BA Falcon, the body work on all our last 3 BA's have been A1 compared to this Focus and alot of other new ones I am seeing especially in dark colours...

People can say what they like about me whinging but to be honest you pay $27 grand for a brand new car, you deserve to get decent finish.... I'd go as far as saying a new Hyundai would have better paint work then the new Focus.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 11-08-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na

People can say what they like about me whinging but to be honest you pay $27 grand for a brand new car, you deserve to get decent finish....
I know that's aimed at me but I will say I agree with you.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Forest Bear

Oh the negatives! And all this while I'm anxiously waiting for delivery of my Zetec. I feel like like telling the dealer my bank has denied my loan just to get out of it so I can go get a mazda3 instead. :togo:
Old 11-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I know that's aimed at me but I will say I agree with you.
Yeh well..

I dont wanna fight with you over it.. Focus is a good car and alot of it is out of dealers control, thats why I never took it out on them and why they went out of their way to fix it for me, I have a very good relationship in the respect.

The car is fixed now, but at the end of the day its upsetting to see more then one just affected, seems like South Africa don't really care what they send here.

I hope things get better :

As for buying a Mazda 3 mate, I sorta wish we had of... : but that doesnt mean the focus isnt a good car providing you get one thats well finished. Id stick with the Focus now :eclipsee_
Old 11-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #12
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
As for comparing it with a BA Falcon, the body work on all our last 3 BA's have been A1 compared to this Focus and alot of other new ones I am seeing especially in dark colours...
Totally agree with you there. Ive sat in a few and seen so many at the Dealer and one thing I too have noticed is how poor the paint is on them. Dark colours look a little too dull to be a new car finish, and the other colours look like they've been sprayed on too thin.

Still a great car, I love them, but the paint is one issue that i've noticed and took note of.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes overspray is a huge problem with the cars, especially around the door jams etc..

I suspect theres a problem at factory level with the robots as thers rough clear cloat on alot of them... It can be fixed with a clay bar but shouldn't have to be done to a brand new car...

Ours is June and I checked a July build one (newer) in the light silver and its the same, especially around the the door ledges and acroos the panel bellow the doors. Ours also had overspray on left hand quarter panel the same as another Black sedan at the same dealership... Its odd!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Bear
Oh the negatives! And all this while I'm anxiously waiting for delivery of my Zetec. I feel like like telling the dealer my bank has denied my loan just to get out of it so I can go get a mazda3 instead. :togo:
Just reading this comment - mate hold in there. The car will be worth the wait and let me tell you now - if you think you can get a Mazda3 any faster than a Focus you're very much mistaken.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Oh, our BA Falcons paintwork was quite good, it looked good parked in Fords workshops for four months. I am not starting a "BA Falcons are poo" debate, I am sure lots of them are really nice. I am highlighting that regardless of where you buy your cars, you aren't assured of a problem free car.

I can't remember if it's Australia Mercs or Beamers that are made in South Africa and sent here as well, but it's more common than people think. Still, German doesn't mean good. Have a look at every single time Top Gear tests a Mercedes, something is broken, they talk of Merc build quality as worse than a kebab you buy at 4am. BMW doesn't even make the X3 itself, it subcontracts the manufacture out. The latest Porsche 911 Carrera S's gearknob came off in Jeremy Clarksons hand when he changed gears!

I think you have to take each manufacturing line on its own merits, and if the Focus one in South Africa is having paint quality issues, then Ford will soon know about it.

Still, in the case of overspray, I don't believe thats always a build problem, that can happen when vehicles get damaged during transport and they are touched up here. I've seen it on a few Fiestas that had dents in their bonnets from trucking.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #16
noshe83
Starter Motor

Well I dropped my Focus off today. Its needs a new ALTENATOR...I think I spelt it wrong. I was so surprised! A brand new car thats 6 days old and had done 500 KM's! I was sooo surprised! My parents bought a new Commodore last year and they didnt have a single problem.

They have ordered one in and it will take 2 days to arrive and then they will put it in. I jisu dont understand how this can happen. Ah well. Hopefully this is the last problem I have with the car.

The dealer has been good. They gave me an XR6 to drive free of charge. But still for a new car to need a brand new part is quite silly.

Lets see what happens next.

Cheers Naush
noshe83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad they found the problem!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

At least you got an XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I can refer to fordel, Resty (light switch issues)
I have the same problem! And, i have other knockings, already had a water pump replaced, alarm fixed. I also have cable stretching for the Bonnet latch.... water pump was bad as i couldnt drive (no coolant left)... but i still love looking at my car everyday. Its german built, hence why i wanted it (reliability), but its had its issues. I still love it and im sure Noshe and other Focus owners will experience the same thing.

Hell, we paid $50000 for a Odyssey which in two years needed a CV Joint and new Central Locking motor, and heaps of wheel balancing (odd wear, and shaky steering).... yet it cost heaps and was Jap built?! Still, mum loves the car, and i must say its easy to drive.

Its all part of the experience! Ive been on a renault forum for a while, and heaps of their Clio Sports are poorly built (French though)... but they all love the driving experience. Its all part of the ownership.... Im sure you will all love the Focus! Hell, they look great on the road!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post