Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #31
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
162kw 2.5 5-cyl Turbo? WRX keeping honest power, GTi killing power, Corolla Sportivo killing power, Astra Turbo killing power, power to keep up with an XR6 Turbo... yes please!!
will wait til I see the $$$ before I jump on this ship
Old 14-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #32
marcosambrose

The ST is coming, eventually i guess...depends on the sales of the 107kw (mk2) focus...if the Australian public pulls thier head out of thier **** and buys the better car, then we might see the ST here on sale by July 2006.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #33
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You wouldn't buy a ST just because the interior plastic in your opinion was a bit hard?
Nah, I wouldn't to be honest. The Focus is not my go-fast car, I have my project turbo RS2000 for speed when I want it, and will be alot faster than any Focus I'll be able to buy. So the interior comfort is more important to me, I am not looking for a boy racer in my daily driver anymore. I want a classy comfortable interior in my next car... I'm thinking X-Type Jag... if only they weren't so thirsty.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #34
whippet_zetec
Supes

For my next car I want a Z4, unfortunately the Missus wont allow it becasue the dogs and the kids wont fit :(
Old 15-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #35
losfp

I'll throw in my 2c here as a non-car enthusiast, so not typical of someone on this forum.

When I test drove the new Focus, I wasn't thinking about plastics, hard or otherwise. I was thinking "wow, this is SO much better than my current car!!" ;)

Perhaps the Mk2 isn't enough of an "upgrade" to convince current Mk1 owners to buy one - but are they really the market Ford is targetting? In a sense, they already "have your money".
losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #36
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by losfp
Perhaps the Mk2 isn't enough of an "upgrade" to convince current Mk1 owners to buy one - but are they really the market Ford is targetting? In a sense, they already "have your money".
Nope, that principle is taken by businesses that are not planning to be around for very long. Why do you think Toyota's Corolla is such a constant seller? Because owners (who don't care that their car drives like a kitchen appliance) think 'wow, that car was so reliable and good to me, I'll buy another one'. Repeat business is SUCH a fundamental part of a successful company, so no, after a few years of doing uni (not that it teaches you alot but they drill that into you) and working in retail business, I don't agree with you. I'll be suprised if anyone that personally has owned a retail business for more than ten years would disagree with me either...

I do agree, though, that what you have described seems to be their attitude once they have just sold you a car though...

Tim
Old 15-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #37
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I want to just point out that I still think the new Focus is a fantastic car, and I hope it serves Ford well. I can't wait to see more on our Eurofordclub cruises soon. I understand it drives better and goes faster than a standard LR Focus.

Seeing as this thread was highly successful in creating some conversation, I am going to upload a Top Gear review of the LR Focus's competitors (the Mazda 3, the new Golf, and the new Astra), just before the LS Focus came out, and how they compare to the benchmark car of the era - the LR Focus. Watch for a thread on it soon...

Tim
Old 15-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #38
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Nope, that principle is taken by businesses that are not planning to be around for very long. Why do you think Toyota's Corolla is such a constant seller? Because owners (who don't care that their car drives like a kitchen appliance) think 'wow, that car was so reliable and good to me, I'll buy another one'. Repeat business is SUCH a fundamental part of a successful company, so no, after a few years of doing uni (not that it teaches you alot but they drill that into you) and working in retail business, I don't agree with you. I'll be suprised if anyone that personally has owned a retail business for more than ten years would disagree with me either...

I do agree, though, that what you have described seems to be their attitude once they have just sold you a car though...

Tim
Repeat Business is important.....you would hope that car manufacturers would want to create a feel good experience about the car you buy including service, after service, after sales experiences so that you enjoy driving the car you bought and so that you have a good impression for the next one you buy.

However what losfp says holds a little becasue most people dont upgrade their cars that frequently, most will be 4 year owners and by then usually new models are out......to be changing cars to keep up with the current model can be very expensive.....so the MK2 wont be targeted at current MK1 owners as on a percentage basis you would find on a small group would rush out to upgrade....
Old 15-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #39
whippet_zetec
Supes

also, I really like the MK2 foci, just not that keen on the interior choice in plastic...interior looks good just dont like the harsh feel. I like the styling as it looks a bit sharper/modern (although I prefer the headlights of the MK1 over the MK2 especially after looking at 10 MK1 and 4 MK2 lined up at Power Ford on the weekend)....and the engine/drivetrain would be much better than the MK1
Old 15-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #40
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
However what losfp says holds a little becasue most people dont upgrade their cars that frequently, most will be 4 year owners and by then usually new models are out......to be changing cars to keep up with the current model can be very expensive.....so the MK2 wont be targeted at current MK1 owners as on a percentage basis you would find on a small group would rush out to upgrade....
Yeah, that's kinda what I meant IMO they wouldn't necessarily be targetting people with 2-year old cars, as the % of them wanting to buy a new car would not be that high compared to people driving 4-6 year old cars!

Here's how I see it. To sell a car to an owner of a 2-year old car, your new vehicle has to be SIGNIFICANTLY better to justify the purchase. However, to sell a car to an owner of a 6 year old car, your new vehicle merely has to be even with the "last" model to be competitive. If that makes sense

Hell, I am upgrading from a 1993 1.3L 3-speed auto Barina. MOST new cars look great to me! ;)
losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #41
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by losfp
Hell, I am upgrading from a 1993 1.3L 3-speed auto Barina. MOST new cars look great to me! ;)
yes, lol....I can see how that would be.....