Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default Strut Brace

I went to WA suspensions the other day with the intention of getting a strut brace for my car. They are a Whiteline dealer and they got one in for me ASAP. But the problem was it didnt fit, it was designed for the ST170 only. So dissapointed, i went and did a bit of research and found it didnt fit because of the different throttle body positions of the Duratec and Zetec engines.

So what did i do, i rang Whiteline and asked why there wasnt one for the Zetec variant, they put me on hold for no more than 30s and got back to me saying that they hadnt even considered it, and they dont understand why they didnt make one, so my call had in fact prompted them to consider making one. They were fully aware of the different throttle body positions as well.
They said that they would propose it to the R&D team and see what they can come up with.

So now i ask how many of youz would be interested in getting a strut brace. Because the only way they'll make one is if they can see there is an interest for them. From what ive heard and read, Whiteline's products and packages a great and really show with figures on the track.

Tom

chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
simonr
Focus Rookie

Not too familar with the brand,

but of course there is a decent market out there for zetec struts...
Old 07-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

I thought I had seen a strut brace by Eibach for the Zetec Focus.......cant find the link to where I saw the pic...(could be wrong too)
Old 07-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
king_pin

There are a few strut braces available for the Zetec engine

http://www.newedgeperformance.com/in...TS&Category=80
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Yeh there's plenty of stuff available overseas, especially in the US, but im still waiting on some H&R springs to come from the US and its been 4.5 weeks. I just cant be f**ked waiting that long after paying for the goods. Id prefer something local of which you get when you pay, none of this 6 week delay crap.
If theres something available from Eibach and we can get a hold of it through Eibach Aus, then id be interested.

Tom
Old 08-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I'd be interested, but it would have to be a competitive price I guess. Custom jobs can cost alot of cash, you're paying for the R+D for other peoples products, being some of the first to buy them. But if the price was right, sure, I would.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

An interesting quote from the Haymes /Max Power Focus guide to modifying:

"The strut brace (in theory) does exactly what it says on the tin, by providing support between the strut tops, taking the load off the bodyshell.

Where this falls down slightly (for road use) is that

(1) no-one's going to have the car set that stiff
(2) no-one's going to drive that hard, and
(3) the Focus shell isn't exactly made out of tin foil.

The strut brace may have a slight effect, but the real reason to fit one is for SHOW- and why not?

You're looking at parting with up to 100 of your finest English Pounds, but your mates will be impressed and the girls will love it- and you can't put a price on that!"

Is it really worth the price? Fine if you want it for show, but why get someone to design and engineer one when it will have dubious performance benefits?

Plenty of people make them, including Momo for gawd's sake, so shouldn't be hard to find one
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

well some people like a bit of bling on their car so good luck to them...me personally, I would rather get one of those nice stainless engine covers for my bling...
Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Aaaaah. Nothing wrong with a bit of bling. Partial to it myself sometimes. Just as long as you admit to yourself that that's the reason you're doing it.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Ok, well a strut brace does have some benefits when fitted. But yes, the major thing is that it does look sick under the bonnet. A big shiny bar running across the engine bay. Or even a carbon fibre one. But i think id prefer the shiny one

Tom
Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #11
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Hay Tom (chivaps)
I wish I told you and the rest of the people on this forum that the same thing
happened to me with the strut bar about 3 moths ago.
I ordered it through wheels world Osborne Park.
It did not fit very disapointed.
From what I know is the 1.8L may have a slight difference to the 2L aswell.
I am Definetly up for a strut bar.
Since your in Perth we should order them togeather and save on shipment and
maybe get them cheaper.
Anyway thats the only thing my car need, I have the compleat whitline sus kit
including the front/rear swaybar.
And they make a huge difference to body roll and car stiffness.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Hey Nick, im going to see how this strut brace thing goes, then do some more suspension work in the form of anti-roll bars etc when i get my car lowered. How much firmer is the ride now??

Tom
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

well first I got my springs and shock kit, which made cornering much better cos of the stiffer springs.
This made the car change direction much faster and increased the corner speed.
I have 3 sets if island/roundabouts on one street,perfect test track.
Results:
Standard avg speed around the zig-zag road was around 70 kmh( this with a bit of fear).
With springs and shock= it went upto 80 kph much quicker responce and the backend follows much better.(less understeer)
Sus kit + front and back swaybar kit = 90 kph and thats with caution (keeping in mind stray kids on bikes, god forbide it ever happens).
this made it responde even quicker and is very stiff.
I can make the backend flick out without worrying of loosing it, all i do is lift of the gas peddle and let the front wheel drive do its thing.
BTW: I am not a hoon and do not promote these types of activities on public roads.
Oh and I also do Autokhanas, that helps.
(next on Belmont carpark 21 Aug)8am-1pm.