Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
firefox

Angry gutless Focus

Hi Focus fanatics,

I purchased 2004 Focus LX 1.8 at the auction six months ago, looks good, handles great interior is ok, but this 1.8 litre Zetec engine is not quite up with current 1.8 litre standards. It offers very sluggish performance under 4000RPM and even above.
Fuel comsumption also on the high side(8.9lt./100km) Its got 7500km now, will flashing CPU at FORD bring any improvement? or maybe just first service will do the trick. Any other ideas how to power up this sleeping beast? :evil_laug

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

There are fixes available for it. Your dealer will be able to work out what ones (if any) are applicable to your car.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:17 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sounds like a 1.8l Zetec to me...
Old 08-08-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Sounds like a 1.8l Zetec to me...
heheheheh true. But I am aware of at least TSB for them being gutless and owners complaining of poor drivability, so its worth a shot.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

You weren't saying that in my 1.8L Zetec, Matt, if I recall correctly!

:monkes:

It's possible the car is stuck in limp home mode if it has had a failure of some sort, or the ECU has issues with the current load. Take it to Ford and tell them your problem, and they should put in a new load. They did it in mine.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
You weren't saying that in my 1.8L Zetec, Matt, if I recall correctly!

:monkes:

It's possible the car is stuck in limp home mode if it has had a failure of some sort, or the ECU has issues with the current load. Take it to Ford and tell them your problem, and they should put in a new load. They did it in mine.

Tim
Weren't you going downhill though?!! :thebirds: I WAS having trouble holding on, let alone speaking... very impressive.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Hey, what goes down came back up, and I have video footage of me wheel spinning on the way back up too, and catching a Fiesta. The trip down was more about brakes and understeer!

The whole story if you're gonna have a go at my Focus! ;)

I did like the way you kissed the ground when you got out though, I deny everything!

(I know it's not a standard 1.8L)

:eclipsee_

On topic: firefox, let us know how you go with the problem!

Tim
Old 08-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
firefox

Ok I will... thanks guys
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
WASP
Whipple Induced

I had two 1.8 Focus CL as loan cars recently. Only difference was one was a sedan and the other a hatch. The sedan had 2000+ kms on the clock and it was a slug. Gear shift was sloppy as well. Not being that impressed when they gave another I was expecting the worst. To my surprise it was completely different. With only 20km on the clock it as much more lively, gear shifts were tight and it was nice to drive. What does that all mean? Some are good out of the box and others..well can be with a little TLC ;)
Old 09-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Even the 1.8 Auto CL i had the other day went well, wasnt gutless at all, and i am used to the more power of the 170

Chris
Old 09-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
Even the 1.8 Auto CL i had the other day went well, wasnt gutless at all, and i am used to the more power of the 170

Chris
Had to have been a 2L if it was an Auto. And yes, the autos go ok for what they are!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #12
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

We own a 2L Auto Focus and the engine specs are the same as the standard 1.8L manual with regards to horsepower, but 'for what it is' it's ok. Our manual 1.8L Focus (ok its modified but its alot faster) and manual 1.6L Laser are both quicker than the 2L auto. It would need alot of work to keep up, but seeing as it's the family hack (with bodykit and alloys - heh!) it's just not going to happen.

It's suprising that an SR2 Laser is quicker than a Zetec Focus... I presume due to alot less emission controls, and also maybe vehicle weight? I only found this out from going on our combined cruises with the FordLaser.com boys, a credit to them.

Also I agree with you CDAA, some are great out of the box, like both our Foci have never let us down, but some people just seem to have problems from day one. Like we did with out BA XR6 come to think of it.

Tim