Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Default And the hits just keep on commin.

Well yesterday I dropped my car off at Modbury Automatics to have a look at my transmission, and give it a service, and to have a look at some kickdown problems I was having with car during very hot days (35C+) when using light throttle pressure at low speed.

They were lucky in that Morpowa, a mob across the road from them had an AU2 Falcon ute in their yard to compare with, and Modbury Auto did a 2 hour diagnostic (all for 70 bucks!) with the Morpowa guys for free.

As soon as they drove it they thought that there was a problem with bottom end power getting to the ground, and could find no electrical problems with the transmission themselves, leaving the following possibilities.

Cam Timing may still be wrong
ECU & Chip arent working together correctly
Cam Profile after regrind isnt right
Lack of converter stall.

My thoughts, ECU & Chip were working well before Cam install, You guys arent having problems with the standard converter stall(Is the stall different between a standard 6 and the xr6?) and almost all of you are making more power than I, which leaves me with two possibilities, that being the Cam or the timing of the cam.

Simon from Morpowa has offered to liase with Lachlan to try and sort out the problems and if required, reflash the chip. So my plans for the moment are

Get Morpowa to do a power run and tinker with the timing to see what they can yield from it. If possible to find out exactly what the chip is doing. If this doesnt yield results, maybe a cam upgrade to a JMM dev4 with some new valve springs thrown in at the same time.

Essentially, this is a total balls up by Road and Track, and I wouldnt recommend them to setup a Victor Lawn Mower and expect them to get it right. For those who havent been keping track of my adventures, the following sums it up.

The Road & Track Services Saga
Go in for chip and cam
Chip gets installed, cam is not as the mechanic believes the Heel of the Cam lobes will do damage to the engine. This is apparently blamed on a screw up from Crow.
Cam comes from queensland where it is ground proplery from a blank billet.
Cam arrives cracked, cam doesnt go in.
Cam is ground again in queensland and goes in, fuel usage goes through the roof.
Car goes back in for diagnosis, mechanic recommends vernier gear to fix it.
Car goes back in for vernier gear fitment. Car is backed into something while in their yard.
They fix the damage (new bumper, poorly fitted and not colour matched properly), then leave my radio code locked and unconnected to the arial.
Car goes back in to get the radio fixed.
Car goes to Modbury Automatics to have diagnostics.
<--- We are here

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Spewin. Take out some frustration on Road and Track. You may feel better, still out of pocket, but better.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Yeah well ive done some more research today, and think I have hit on why its not working, the cam is for an 89 - 98 Falcon, not a 2001 Falcon. Ive had a gutfull, im not taking the car back to R&T or demanding money back is not worth the agro.

Plan at the moment is to get a jmm streetfighter cam, springs, HLA Lifter Seals sent down, pull out cam and chiptorque chip(Custom tuning is far too expensive an option), and flog them off on ebay to recover some cash to pay for it all. Chip will be fine for any AU2 Falcon, but cam is meant (primaril) for E-series car, so Ill have to sell the seperately.

At a later date I might buy a unichip.

All I can say is to anyone in SA, DONT go to R&T unless you want a taste of the troubles I've received.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 07-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'd rather have a Unichip, but how much would you look at flogging the Chiptorque chip for?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_XLS_Ute
I'd rather have a Unichip, but how much would you look at flogging the Chiptorque chip for?
Havent decided yet, thing that ****es me off is theres nothing wrong with the effing chip, it works bloody great with no problems.

Only problem is with a JMM cam they dont publicize their profile, so chiptorque cant even programme it with anything more accurate then a guestimate.

I could get it live tuned, but apparently I'd have to pay for lachlans time, accomodation, flights, meals, hookers, swimming lessons and drugs. Cheaper to buy a unichip in my case.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 07-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I could get it live tuned, but apparently I'd have to pay for lachlans time, accomodation, flights, meals, hookers, swimming lessons and drugs. Cheaper to buy a unichip in my case.
That definately makes the Chiptorque option difficult....

For me the Unichip option was a cinch. The guys are like 2 mins drive away. Couldn't be easier.

Things should only get better from here for you*

*hopefully

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sour one,

Talk about hits alright! Keep the chin up.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I think I will be returning to Morpowa & Modbury Automatics(They are across the street from each other), they did a great job at nailing the problems instead of giving me the "everythings fine" routine and taking my money.

After talking to casper, I might see if the chip will run with the JMM Cam before i get it removed and sell it. If it performs it stays, if not, off it goes. I'd definately prefer to keep it if only for the fact it removes the speed limiter.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 07-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Fair enough sourbastard. Not that I was after it, just wondering. If it still does the job, bloody keep it.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #10
Ay-You-Steve

Its hard to find a good mechanic in Adelaide SB.
I having problems also, not as bad as what you've got to deal with. Took my AUI Monty into midas to have the injectors cleaned, throttle body clean & new leads to fix a slight miss. After the that was done it was idling at about 1000 rpm in P, took it back to have the idle fixed, done, car was fine. About a week or two later slight miss is back + now when the air con cuts in the revs jump and the car tries to serge foward at the lights, when it cuts out the idle would drop low. Took it back last week, cleaned throttle body and air rev censor thingo (had shit in it), done. It was fine until today, now the air con/rev thing is back. Now i've gotto take it back again, the idle may be too low they are saying and the revs jump because the car thinks it might stall.. apart from that they told me I may have to go to Ford and have a PCM upgade which upgrades the ECU software to fix the problem. At first before I took it to them it had the slight miss only, now the ari con/rev problem has sprung up since. : (sorry to high jack your post).
Ay-You-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

SB....don't think you'll have any problems with Simon or any of the Morpowa crew. His dad Mark and partner Alan have a very good name in the performance market.

If you still have Motor Hot Tuner 1, Simon is in that magazine.

I have had all my work done there and they are a great bunch of blokes.

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=sourbastard]I think I will be returning to Morpowa & Modbury Automatics(They are across the street from each other), they did a great job at nailing the problems instead of giving me the "everythings fine" routine and taking my money.

Hope you get it sorted sour one. I hate it when one of my vehicles is running like a dog! I doubly hate it when people are unable to tell me why it's doing so.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #13
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez i hope you get it sorted mate. What cam did you get? Crow cam?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

yeah its a stage 3 crow cam 2222549 reground to work in 1.8:1 rockers on an AU. Dont ask.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

So where are we up to with your car now ? How's it progressing ?

Any news ?

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #16
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

SB I reckon it all comes back to the cam grind. **** it off put a JMM dev3HL in with the heavy duty valve springs and get it timed in properly to JMM's specs.

There are plenty of happy dev3hl customers with autos out there to back this up.

I am not 100% convinced on dev4 yet and I have seen some good manual I6's running great times with surecoma and wade cams but not many auto's.

With the auto the cam selection is critical as it gives and takes away power and in an auto up to any leagl speed you care to name you have only two gears first and second so if 50% of that time its off cam and off powerband they feel terrible to drive. In a manual you just rev it and dump it and flat change at the limiter and you're away. Auto with stock stall and stock ecu there is not much that can be done to avoid the big yawn as you floor it off line.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Ive given up on the ute, its running good enough now with stock cam and chip, and is about the 120rwkw mark, i can live with that.

Attention and go faster gear is now dedicated to the XP, which will be a ground up build

I was looking at going BA, but the VCT is too hard to get working on anything other then a motec ecu, which is half of the engine budget just by itself.

A JMM 180rwkw custom built engine on the other hand based on an EL Six Cylinder, is a possibility.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #18
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

fair enough stick to modding the XP now.

XP's are a bit of a classic so why not stick with the original engine and mod that?

I had a mate with an XT 221 3.6L with a cam and extractors and full 2" dual system that sounded beautiful and revved to 6000prm and went well for the day late 70's.

If I was going to do an engine swap then a late model 5 litre Windor EFI motor would be the go.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is that your problem right there? You got a Stage 3 cam, to work in a pre-98 motor? You should have got the 2232549? Maybe something went wrong with the re-grind, to work with the 1.8 rockers.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #20
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

ive got an e series grind on an au billet, what could possibly go right? lol

road and track are morons, wouldnt take my car back there if they were the only mechanics on earth.

2003 BA Fairlane G220