Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Default AU console shroud removal

I am trying to remove the centre console shroud to get to the factory head unit. I have followed the instructions on fordmods.com, but cannot get the shroud past the bottom 2 clips. I feel like I'm going to break it off. Has anyone done this before that can lend a hand?

Cheers.
TRBOETR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Cancel that... Tore the **** out!!! hehe
Old 23-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #3
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Did you know you can remove the headunit without removing the centre console? See the two holes on each side of the HU? You need a U shaped tool (made out of a coat hanger even), then all you have to do is push it into the holes and pull the HU out. Oh.. too late now.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Yeah idid figure that out, but after I pulled off the front of the HU, the right hand side of this quick release thingy was broken off!! I figured that was what the holes were, juts couldnt use them!! I got the HU out without touching the console, so its all good.
Old 28-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
5speedTE

hey guys, i tried this coat hanger thing with the two holes, it dont seem to wana come out. Is there a special way to do it?
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedTE
hey guys, i tried this coat hanger thing with the two holes, it dont seem to wana come out. Is there a special way to do it?
i find the easy way is to put your hand underneath the console and pushing from the back of the head unit with the coat hanger inserted.This will allow it to slide out straight away....it takes me about 10 seconds now , it used to take me hours to get it out....

J
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I have a set of security keys to remove the radio .It normally takes 10 seconds.
Useless, could you possibly take a pic of the tool, say.. next to a ruler so we can get an idea of what it looks like please?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
Kryton

the dimension are in your garage manual. you can make them from this. 2 bits 3mm wire bent around to a U shape (one for each side). doesnt matter how long it is so long as you can get both ends in all the way. when you have hit the bottom then pull the left one left and the right one right as you are pulling it out. if that doesnt work then pull the left one to the right and the right one to the left as you pull.
presto! a stereo in you hand in 10 seconds.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now the question is.. how do you mount the aftermarket single din Headunit?
and how much do ford charge for the filler pocket?

cheers fellas
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
pommy30
PommyAUIIIXR6

Just duck into ford and if the service guys aren't ****ers they'll usually pop it out for you took them all of 10 seconds for mine. As for mounting the single din headunit it's not that hard just think outside the square and you'll be fine. Unsure how much ford charge for the filler pocket but you'll be able to get one from a decent audio shop, depending on what style you want, i.e. just a plan pocket or pocket with cup holder etc you'll be looking anywhere from $35 to about $80 :sm_headba
Old 30-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
|2aebird
Resident Volvo Driver

I paid about $15 for my trinket tray for under the single din unit...
|2aebird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post