Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
V8XTasy

Default LPG price drops 30c/l....

due to the warm weather in the North and that lack of a war with Iran......NOT.

It went up due to the cold weather in the North and the possibility of a war here, there and everywhere, "forcing" suppliers to sell Australian gas at a higher price to Australians, but it ain't coming down.

Ok, it's dropped by a couple of cents and we all feel better because we've forgotten it was 50c/l a few months ago and we feel like we're getting a bargain now, so we're ready for another 10-20c/l rise in July when the duty increases and the carbon tax kicks in.

Old 24-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LPG price drops 30c/l....

...Huh?
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe referring to this:

MOTORISTS with cars that run on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) have been significantly overcharged for the past week because fuel companies have failed to pass on a 10¢ a litre fall in prices.

After several months of rising prices because of the cold snap in Europe, the contract price of LPG dropped last week by 9.8¢ but not at the bowser, according to the NRMA, which says the decrease has not been passed on.

Regular petrol prices fluctuate daily but LPG contract prices are set on the fifth day of each month internationally.

The NRMA said the monthly international contract price for LPG rose by 4.6¢ a litre in January, 6.3¢ a litre in February and 7.3¢ a litre in March, mainly due to the demand for heating in Europe over winter.

More below
Skip to top | bottom

But prices at the bowser were even higher and rose by 11.4¢ a litre in February, according to the NRMA.

When the increases in the monthly contract price were reversed on April 5 – with a fall of almost 10¢ a litre – motorists only benefited from a fall of about 1.4¢ a litre.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So 4.6c and 6.3c and 7.3c = 18 cents per litre, thats what it "should" have gone up during jan to March in Australia, but it went up an extra 5.1 cents in Feb for no reason, and now in April the international price is just 10 cents per litre MORE than at the start of jan, and we are still paying what 30 - 40 cents per litre more?!
Old 24-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought Australia had a Fuel Commissioner that is being paid $350,000 a year, what is he saying?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I thought Australia had a Fuel Commissioner that is being paid $350,000 a year, what is he saying?
"I covered my salary"

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I could say something, but I've criticised oil companies here before and I got flamed. Apparently I'm deluded and oil companies always do the right thing.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I know what you're saying TMC, You're not deluded mate but I won't say anything else as I'll probably get flamed as well.

LPG hasn't gone down much on the Gold Coast. It's still sitting at 89.9 with some places lowering their price to 85.9. Still a long way to go till it goes back down to where it was a few months ago though.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I could say something, but I've criticised oil companies here before and I got flamed. Apparently I'm deluded and oil companies always do the right thing.
It doesn't count if the flaming come from the employee of an oil company tho!!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

say what you think, theres nothing wrong with that!
Old 24-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
I know what you're saying TMC, You're not deluded mate but I won't say anything else as I'll probably get flamed as well.

LPG hasn't gone down much on the Gold Coast. It's still sitting at 89.9 with some places lowering their price to 85.9. Still a long way to go till it goes back down to where it was a few months ago though.
Down to 72.9 in Melbourne.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looked up an old fuel log book and I paid 23.9c/L for LPG on 24 April 1996, $14 to fill up a tank, I spend more on lunch these days, lol.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Matty4
Banana

Back in 96 I converted my old R31 Skyline to LPG as I was doing 140k a day to and from work.
The day I picked it up from the conversion place I filled it up down the road at 18.5c/l.....cost me less than $10 to fill it.

The next month it went up to around 35c/l....
I felt ripped off then.....
Old 24-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I remember the gas price back in 95, when I converted my 351 Fairlane to LPG. It stayed the same until about 98 when the GST was looming on the horizon. It was 35.7cpl right from 95-98 except at one point it blipped down to 27.5cpl once. By 99 it had got to 40cpl and it started to become unstable once the GST kicked in. Since then it's been up up and away.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UOTE=BFZ Wagon]LPG hasn't gone down much on the Gold Coast. It's still sitting at 89.9 with some places lowering their price to 85.9. [/QUOTE]

Basically everything south of Gold Coast highway Labrador has gone to 79.9 but everything north of that is 85 to 89. Must cost more to cross the highway.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Commissioner "I can pay for my fuel why can't everyone else?"

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Greenies hatred of CO2 emissions, Oil companies desire for increasing revenue and government's
desire for increased tax revenue taxes continue to be the driving force behind ever increasing fuel efficiency.

The motorist and transport in general suffer the compulsory cost of new era technology because of this triumvent of agendas..
The relevant good of focusing on at best a 10% Co2 emitter will be lost in the clatter of social achievement of common good..

Last edited by jpd80; 25-04-2012 at 09:39 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
really? We have a fuel price commissioner ?? if we have, he`s probably as useful as the ACCC
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
really? We have a fuel price commissioner ?? if we have, he`s probably as useful as the ACCC
watched him on tv a few times now, the old saying (useless as tits on a bull ) come to mind the moment he starts answering reporters questions with a complete load of guff.talk about a being paid to do nothing.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brazen by name, and nature!
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
V8XTasy

LOL, sorry my sarcasm didn't come across very well in my OP. I was just thinking all the excuses that were used to whack the price up have gone now, yet it's not dropped much and it'll be going up again in July with the duty and carbon tax.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8XTasy
LOL, sorry my sarcasm didn't come across very well in my OP. I was just thinking all the excuses that were used to whack the price up have gone now, yet it's not dropped much and it'll be going up again in July with the duty and carbon tax.

The LPG producers dont need an excuse to whack up prices or to even lower them. People should expect to pay for LPG on the same basis that they buy petrol. Alot of the crude oil that is produced in the world doesnt cost anything near the $104 WTI or the $128 Tapis price that the oil price is set at. Some Saudi oil fields produce oil for as little $30 a barrel (circa 20 cents a litre of petrol). And whilst some of Australias petrol comes form saudi oil, some of it also comes from the $90 a barrel of oil that comes from our own bass strait. Australians dont run into petrol stations demanding petrol derived from the lowest cost producer, most rational people accept that the final price is set by what people are willing to pay.

LPG was originally alot cheaper than normal fuels, because it was often a by product of oil production, and it was previously priced to compete with other competitors (ie gas for heating, electricity for power etc). The greater the uptake of LPG for transportation, the greater ability producers have to sell the product as a transportation fuel (instead of the cheaper heating or electricity options). Give it a little time, but there is no reason that in the future, LPG will be priced at parity with petrol (minus a 30% discount for energy density difference and maybe a few % for perceived inconvenience).

Everyone seems to think that producers are going to sell their products for less than they can get for it, but wouldnt even comtemplate telling their boss they would work for 40% less than he (or she) is currently paying them. Go figure.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And while we, "Australia", are paying the prices for lpg previously mentioned, lpg is still being sold to Nippon and Beijing for 9 cents a liter. I was going to say"WTF!" but I won't. LPG should not be any more than 40 cpl. Now watch the apologists for the oil companies rear their ugly heads...If the oil companies can sell their lpg in bulk for 9cpl and make a profit at that price why can't they sell at 400% of that price. Would be still making a decent profit and not ripping the Australian public off (as much)
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didnt he say its not his job to comment on fuel prices?
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one thing that occurred to me at the beginning of the global recession thing, prior to that happening if i recall correctly fuel prices where very very high, once it was televised around the world yes the global economy was in the poo, magically the prices went down very quickly by a considerable margin.

At that time i was thinking there was probably a bunch of big wig oil barons from around the world in a room atop a sky scraper all deciding on what oil price seems like a nice round figure till things get back to normal.

but i reckon for sure these people at the top collude to keep the price at the maximum they can get , and i think there`s a delicate balance between the price people/business in different country`s are willing to pay before economy`s start to go belly up, and it`s really these people that control the world economy.....of course that`s just my opinion .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
The LPG producers dont need an excuse to whack up prices or to even lower them. People should expect to pay for LPG on the same basis that they buy petrol.
So in saying that we should expect at home every increment the cost of gas, electricity and water to be at parity. Even though each of them have different costs to produce.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Remember when the GFC hit? I remember seeing the price of 91 drop just under $1/L.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
billy302

I thought the price rise was due to the introduction of price parity by the fedral government.
Haven't they introduced a tax on gas
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #29
MS33LU

Quote:
lpg is still being sold to Nippon and Beijing for 9 cents a liter
Too many people quote prices similar to this, probably getting confused with the export of LNG, a different product.

The actual average price of LPG exported from Australia to Japan during 2010/11 was 46.5 cents per litre
MS33LU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Remember when the GFC hit? I remember seeing the price of 91 drop just under $1/L.
Yeah about the time the tapis crude price dropped to $45 a barrel instead of $128 that were seeing now.