Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
na01

Default Sudden power loss...

As I was waiting for traffic lights today, I wound the windows up and whacked on the air-con than I felt the car lose heaps of power as I took off. I had my foot down on 1st and 2nd gear but there was only slooow acceleration as I was going up bit of a hill. I immediately turned off the air-con but it still felt bit dead after that but I can't be very sure...

I know you use bit of power when the air-con is turned on but the actual loss of power was very noticable. Is this normal? or something wrong with the car? Could todays extremely hot temp have anything to do with it?

na01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Todays hot extreme temps..... i had mine on 3 just to keep it cool inside the car! Mind you, it still played around 5500rpm with not much fuss. But yes, it does need a little more revs to get a move on in the Hot 38 degree temperature.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
na01

I see. I've got not much knoweldge at all on cars (mechanics) so I wasn't too sure of this power loss.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Say for instance my car is revving at 750rpm.... put on the air cond and straight away its busy at 1000rpm..... so yea, the A/C does eat the power..... however not as bad as some cars (My mother's especially!). The dealer convinced me about the power the Fiesta made by having the a/c on 4, and revving a 30km car all the way to redline in first, second and then onto about 110kmh..... not to mention the burnout in 2nd he did around the corner!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Fiesta is pretty good even with a few people and aircon on in my experience. It should not feel like such a sudden power loss. Somethjing could be an issue, and if it persists, Get it looked at.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
joshf2
striped

i nailed 180 with a passenger and aircon

cant be that much power loss

on a private airstrip of course
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

There is power loss... just depends how/where your driving. For instance i usually turn a corner in balmain up a 45degree slope in 2nd gear.... today with a/c on 3 and going up the hill, i needed to get into first, because it just woud not pull from 1100rpm....

Old 09-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
na01

Teki04 that sounds similar what happened. As I said before I turned the aircon on blast to cool the car down and there went the power. Anyways I'll keep my eye on it.
Thanks for the info fellas!
Old 17-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #9
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had 4-5 people in the car (short drive from chaddy to the station) with the a/c up to 3 to unfog the windows, lol and there was a slight power loss but not very noticable, i couldn't get past 80km :]
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
GROOV3
Rollin

with min you can feel a clutch turning off as your rev it hard to give you the power back and the air isnt as cool till you back off and drop the revs feel it kick back in and bang cold again

smart system
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
na01

Hmm I didn't know that but makes sense.
Old 19-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOV3
with min you can feel a clutch turning off as your rev it hard to give you the power back and the air isnt as cool till you back off and drop the revs feel it kick back in and bang cold again

smart system
Yep! Forgot to mention that.... as you rev beyond say 4000rpm with a/c on.... the fan i think turns off (well i hear a clicking sound) and the a/c all of a sudden gets hotter.... then change gears and drop the revs and the a/c is normal again. One thing i love driving with the a/c on is the sound it makes near redline.... very electronic!

Old 19-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
I've had 4-5 people in the car (short drive from chaddy to the station) with the a/c up to 3 to unfog the windows, lol and there was a slight power loss but not very noticable, i couldn't get past 80km :]
Huh? I'm not quite clear on that one H. Fiesta can do up to around 200 km/h, so how could 80km/h max be "not noticable"?? Lolll
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post