Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
red_hotxr6
Banned

Question dizzy problems

My next door neighbours, in their late 80,s have a 98 festiva.On monday i heard them trying to start it and on tuesday the tow truck took the thing away.Yesterday i saw them and they said that the distributor had gone and it was going to cost $2400.00. I am quite sure that price was for the dizzy. Now why would an 7 year old car which hardly gets driven cost that much. What is in the distributor that would cost that much. The neighbour says its an 1.5ltr engine. Your basic model. Are they getting ripped off.?

red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats it my mum's festiva is going on the market if a distributor costs that much!!!!

Personally i think they are getting ripped off massively!!! Correct me if i'm wrong but i would allow up to $800 (don't quote me) for a distributor for one of these and thats the absolute maximum!! I bet they are cheaper (i'm just taking a wild guess)

The festiva is a 1.5L motor and the main troubles i've had with my mother's car has been with timing belts and spark plugs/leads. As well as a broken o-ring in the distributor.... hope this isnt a sign of things to come
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
red_hotxr6
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Thats it my mum's festiva is going on the market if a distributor costs that much!!!!

Personally i think they are getting ripped off massively!!! Correct me if i'm wrong but i would allow up to $800 (don't quote me) for a distributor for one of these and thats the absolute maximum!! I bet they are cheaper (i'm just taking a wild guess)

The festiva is a 1.5L motor and the main troubles i've had with my mother's car has been with timing belts and spark plugs/leads. As well as a broken o-ring in the distributor.... hope this isnt a sign of things to come
Like thanks for that, these guys are so old, i dont think they would lie, i mean they are not going away this christmas now and like chrissy presents are going to be from 'crazy clarks" just to make ends meet.Even if the whole job was $2400.00 how could the mechanic arrive at that price.?Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 23-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
gmhdriver
Banned

$2400 is outrageously obsurd. For that price you could just about get a whole new engine for the Festiva. I would advise your neighbours to stay well clear of whoever is quoting them that price as it is a major rip-off. You could get a decent second hand dizzy from the wreckers for about $150 or less.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
red_hotxr6
Banned

They arent even home so i can ask them what is happening>? :lookedat:
Old 24-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
$2400 is outrageously obsurd. For that price you could just about get a whole new engine for the Festiva. I would advise your neighbours to stay well clear of whoever is quoting them that price as it is a major rip-off. You could get a decent second hand dizzy from the wreckers for about $150 or less.
Having just paid $80 for a second hand dizzy (with guarantee) for the ol' 4.1 i'd say $150 would be as much as I'd be willing to pay for the part. That said, Rip Every Poor C Off wanted $450 for a reconditioned exchange unit. However, $2400 to supply and replace a distributor is ludicrous, I almost went off at REPCO over wanting $450! If they have already forked out the hard earned ya might wanna suggest they take it to the industry ombudsmen or ACCC. Arsewipes who take advantage of people like that need to be removed from business.

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
red_hotxr6
Banned

Talked to bruce today and it was FORD at boundary street in brisbane that quoted that price. The car is now home and they paid $600.00 for it. Apparently the old dizzywas burnt out.
Old 24-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Ahhh glad to hear a happy ending. :-)

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post