Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #2011
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Mine identifies as a landmine detector.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #2012
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

My whipper is the Stihl bent shaft petrol.
Rippa unit works great plenty power but when the day comes I’ll go straight shaft next.

Curved shaft models are lighter weight and best suited for smaller yards and more intricate work. Straight shaft models work better for larger yards, and for reaching under decks and around obstacles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #2013
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Mine identifies as a landmine detector.
Didnt ask about radar on whipper snippers...
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #2014
hayseed

Straight Shaft Honda For Me..!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #2015
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

straight shaft for me keeps me further away from joe blake, exciting when just his head comes flying at you though
Old 29-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #2016
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a straight-shaft Husqvarna brush-cutter. Great for the big stuff.
I had the old man’s bent-shaft Honda for a while…..so much better (ergonomics) for edging.
Knew a bloke years ago who had maintenance contract at a few cemeteries. He told me bent shaft was the go for edges……if anyone would know, someone doing that job would.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #2017
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

My first line trimmer, given to me as a birthday present at age 13 was a bent shaft Ryobi Weed Wasp, yet another gift that got my business started.

These were very common machines back in the day, Big W would have sold millions of them over the years. The engine was pretty large at 31cc, but were only a half-crank engine so they were incredibly harsh and vibey. I rarely used it at full throttle, when you did they used to absolutely scream!

The three-stage choke was interesting, as was the layout of the engine, with the spark plug pointing down and the fuel tank resting on top of the engine. Fuel mix on these was 25:1.

I ran this unit for a number of years, until one day it started to make a very alarming buzz, I retired it to the skip promptly.

The Ryobi's replacement was a Stihl FS45, this time gifted to me by my wonderful Grandmother, who played a huge part in my life.

These machines have a full crank engine, 27.2cc in capacity and much more refined than the Ryobi. I loved this trimmer, and I made a lot of money from it over the years. What finally killed it was a broken/sheared driveshaft. I was all set to have it repaired, but the cost of replacing the flexible drive shaft was not worth it when compared to the price of a brand-new machine. I simply bought another FS45. I ran the second FS45 for a long time.

It's around this time I was starting to suffer from chronic pain. The bent shaft FS45 was a great unit, but it had me stooped over and contributed to and compounded my pain.

For some reason, I started using my KM56 Kombi with the straight shaft trimmer attachment for edges. This setup was longer overall and allowed me to be more natural in holding and angling the trimmer head.

However, the weight of tools started to become a very big factor on how I used tools and the impact they had on my body. I say that because the KM56 with a straight shaft trimmer attached was a heavy thing to use all day long, weighing in at 5.5kg and poorly balanced to boot. I was getting very sore shoulders and neck. In comparison, a FS45 is only 4.1 kg. That might not sound like a big difference, but as I said, using them all day long, the additional weight contributes to fatigue.

Up until this point, I was very much a Stihl boy. I had Stihl trimmers, blowers, hedgers, chainsaws. Looking at a replacement straight shaft trimmer, the lightest unit they offered was the FS55 at 4.4 kg. So, I did the unthinkable and started looking at Husqvarna's................

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/grass-trimmers/522l/

The Husqvarna 522L is at the entry to their professional line and is powered by a 22.5cc engine. Crucially though, the 4.2 kg weight makes it the lightest of all the units I was considering. The next model up, the 525 LST, offers a more powerful 25.4cc engine, but ups the weight to 4.7 kg. The full crank 22.5 cc engine is more than powerful enough for maintaining edges, the anti-vibration system is a very worthwhile inclusion. I have found the 522L to very nimble and ergonomic to use, it's been even more reliable than the Stihl's too. Like all of my small two-strokes, I run this unit on Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil at 50:1.

It took me a while to adapt from a curved shaft trimmer to the straight shaft, but I wouldn't go back now. I would also 100% buy another 522L, the best straight shaft trimmer on the market!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2022, 11:54 PM   #2018
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My first line trimmer, given to me as a birthday present at age 13 was a bent shaft Ryobi Weed Wasp, yet another gift that got my business started.

These were very common machines back in the day, Big W would have sold millions of them over the years. The engine was pretty large at 31cc, but were only a half-crank engine so they were incredibly harsh and vibey. I rarely used it at full throttle, when you did they used to absolutely scream!

The three-stage choke was interesting, as was the layout of the engine, with the spark plug pointing down and the fuel tank resting on top of the engine. Fuel mix on these was 25:1.

I ran this unit for a number of years, until one day it started to make a very alarming buzz, I retired it to the skip promptly.

The Ryobi's replacement was a Stihl FS45, this time gifted to me by my wonderful Grandmother, who played a huge part in my life.

These machines have a full crank engine, 27.2cc in capacity and much more refined than the Ryobi. I loved this trimmer, and I made a lot of money from it over the years. What finally killed it was a broken/sheared driveshaft. I was all set to have it repaired, but the cost of replacing the flexible drive shaft was not worth it when compared to the price of a brand-new machine. I simply bought another FS45. I ran the second FS45 for a long time.

It's around this time I was starting to suffer from chronic pain. The bent shaft FS45 was a great unit, but it had me stooped over and contributed to and compounded my pain.

For some reason, I started using my KM56 Kombi with the straight shaft trimmer attachment for edges. This setup was longer overall and allowed me to be more natural in holding and angling the trimmer head.

However, the weight of tools started to become a very big factor on how I used tools and the impact they had on my body. I say that because the KM56 with a straight shaft trimmer attached was a heavy thing to use all day long, weighing in at 5.5kg and poorly balanced to boot. I was getting very sore shoulders and neck. In comparison, a FS45 is only 4.1 kg. That might not sound like a big difference, but as I said, using them all day long, the additional weight contributes to fatigue.

Up until this point, I was very much a Stihl boy. I had Stihl trimmers, blowers, hedgers, chainsaws. Looking at a replacement straight shaft trimmer, the lightest unit they offered was the FS55 at 4.4 kg. So, I did the unthinkable and started looking at Husqvarna's................

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/grass-trimmers/522l/

The Husqvarna 522L is at the entry to their professional line and is powered by a 22.5cc engine. Crucially though, the 4.2 kg weight makes it the lightest of all the units I was considering. The next model up, the 525 LST, offers a more powerful 25.4cc engine, but ups the weight to 4.7 kg. The full crank 22.5 cc engine is more than powerful enough for maintaining edges, the anti-vibration system is a very worthwhile inclusion. I have found the 522L to very nimble and ergonomic to use, it's been even more reliable than the Stihl's too. Like all of my small two-strokes, I run this unit on Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil at 50:1.

It took me a while to adapt from a curved shaft trimmer to the straight shaft, but I wouldn't go back now. I would also 100% buy another 522L, the best straight shaft trimmer on the market!
When I bought an FS45 for home use I asked the Stihl dealer how often he had to replace drive cables.He said if I buy one and break a drive It will be the first for him
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2022, 01:10 AM   #2019
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

They both have their applications. I own both.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 06:43 PM   #2020
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
When I bought an FS45 for home use I asked the Stihl dealer how often he had to replace drive cables.He said if I buy one and break a drive It will be the first for him
Yeah, I was pretty dumbfounded by it at the time, happened mid job so pretty frustrating. The cutting head literally just dropped off the end of the shaft.

To be fair on the machine, I had been using it more than what a homeowner would, for several years. The issue wouldn't put me off another, in fact I did just that.
Mustang GT

Old 30-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #2021
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Husqvarna 124c, now discontinued, that replaced an even older Stihl.

Been a great product, lasted well as used sparingly.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #2022
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Husqvarna 124c, now discontinued, that replaced an even older Stihl.

Been a great product, lasted well as used sparingly.
Looks like the 124C replacement is the 129C, very similar engine capacity.

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/grass-trimmers/129c/
Mustang GT

Old 31-12-2022, 12:39 AM   #2023
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Straight shaft husqvarna. Better at reaching under bushes etc, and when paddock slashing side to side motion covers more ground. Curved shaft used to hurt my back trying to do vertical lawn edges.
Incidentally my 322L has been stellar over this wet overgrown spring and summer, hours and hours of screaming away at max revs, I’ve refuelled and maybe done a spark plug, nothing else.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 31-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #2024
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Straight shaft husqvarna. Better at reaching under bushes etc, and when paddock slashing side to side motion covers more ground. Curved shaft used to hurt my back trying to do vertical lawn edges.
Incidentally my 322L has been stellar over this wet overgrown spring and summer, hours and hours of screaming away at max revs, I’ve refuelled and maybe done a spark plug, nothing else.
Glad to hear you are liking the Husqvarna, I know you found the straight shaft a challenge to begin with. Do you have the 322 or 522?

I don't think I have done anything to mine other than refueling. I have inspected the air filter a couple of times and added grease to the gearbox, apart from that it's been a killer machine.

What I like about the pro level Husqvarna's is the anti-vibration system.
Mustang GT

Old 02-01-2023, 12:08 AM   #2025
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Glad to hear you are liking the Husqvarna, I know you found the straight shaft a challenge to begin with. Do you have the 322 or 522?

I don't think I have done anything to mine other than refueling. I have inspected the air filter a couple of times and added grease to the gearbox, apart from that it's been a killer machine.

What I like about the pro level Husqvarna's is the anti-vibration system.
Mines 322L, not a current model apparently. I did suffer from stubbornness when I got it, my brain wouldn’t learn a new tool for a couple of months. All good now.
I can sometimes hear the gearbox spool up, so might be time for grease.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-01-2023, 04:56 PM   #2026
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Mines 322L, not a current model apparently. I did suffer from stubbornness when I got it, my brain wouldn’t learn a new tool for a couple of months. All good now.
I can sometimes hear the gearbox spool up, so might be time for grease.
I wondered that as I couldn't see on their website. Looking it up, the only difference is 0.05kw power in favor of the 522 and a different handlebar. Both share the same anti-vibe, engine size and powerhead.

If you are looking for a good grease for the gearbox, Stihl sell a tube that actually screws into the thread of the lubricating port, allowing you to squeeze and deliver the grease without mess. It also fits the Husqvarna's. I do this once or twice a year.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...lubricant.aspx

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2023, 04:32 PM   #2027
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I mentioned previously my now departed neighbor I had growing up. He was like me in a couple of ways, never doing things by halves when it came to gadgets and tools.

He had a wood fired heater for the winter months, and that meant he needed a chainsaw. I remember my Dad and I tagging along to help him collect firewood for his and our garage potbelly stove. We supplied the big Mazda T3500 and labor, meaning he could collect more than the little box trailer he normally used. He supplied the chainsaw. We then split the load, he taking 2/3 and us 1/3.

I always wanted a chainsaw like he had. To a 12-year-old boy, it looked and sounded so big and powerful. This is that saw, a Stihl 028AV Super -

From what I can gather, this model was made from 1979 to 1990 and in Super guise, used a 51.5cc engine with 3.2hp. The "AV" designation refers to Anti-Vibration, a feature most saws have as standard these days. It also has a full magnesium case, rather than the plastic used for most modern saws.

As you can see, she is in need of some attention. While it may look dirty and unloved, he looked after that saw very well so I have no doubt it would still be a very good machine. It's likely not been used in ten years or more and now hangs unneeded on a hook.
Well, this chainsaw is now mine!

There is a longer story to this, so here goes.

Overnight, the neighbor across from me had all of his carpentry tools stolen from his locked toolboxes. Chatting to my next-door neighbor about this, I told her that she should probably put that Stihl chainsaw somewhere more secure, it's been hanging on a hook in an open carport for a year now. Before he died, her husband always had this thing locked in a secure cabinet. While it's old and beat up, it's certainly still a valuable item.

She nodded in agreement and then asked if I wanted it. In no way was I wrangling to buy it, or have it given to me, so I was a little surprised by that. There is a sentimental element to this saw, it's what got me mad about chainsaws in the first place. I would have hated for it to be thrown away, stolen or given away to someone who wouldn't appreciate it as much as I will. Or put the effort into recommissioning it.

Yes, it needs a lot of work to bring it back to working order. I have not even bothered to crank it over. I pulled the air filter cover off and noticed a perished/disintegrated fuel line so that will absolutely need attention before I even think about having it running again.

I will pull the thing down and clean as much of it as I can, replace the bar and chain, sprocket if necessary. I may even touch up some of the lost paint, although there is some charm to that.

I will then have to decide if I strip and rebuild the carb myself or take it to the Stihl dealer and have them take care of it. After past experiences, I'm not sure I want to do that. (Different dealer to the one I have had trouble with.) At least it will be clean for them if I do go that route. I'm going to watch some video's on this model and see what I'm up for and make a decision soon.

I love the muffler design on these, from memory it had a very stout bark to it.

It would also be nice to find out the age of this machine, hopefully I can find some identification markings or numbers along the way.

So, I have another chainsaw, not that I needed it. However, I'm really excited to have this old girl running again, it's a special saw with a special place in my heart.
Mustang GT

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 03-01-2023 at 04:37 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM   #2028
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No anti-vibration on that, it’s like my (first) old Pro-Mac. Except you’ve got a chain brake.

Is your town hatching a meth problem to rival Ballarat, or is the crime just flaring up here and there?
Old 03-01-2023, 04:54 PM   #2029
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
No anti-vibration on that, it’s like my (first) old Pro-Mac. Except you’ve got a chain brake.

Is your town hatching a meth problem to rival Ballarat, or is the crime just flaring up here and there?
The AV part of the name denotes that this has anti-vibe, one of the first to have this feature. Knowing my neighbor, he would have made sure to have the very latest and greatest at the time. It was made in the mid to late 80's my guess.

Crime has spiked over the last couple of years after the council decided to allow the running of a drug and alcohol rehab center just around the corner from us.

I say "allow" because this is clearly a commercial business operating in a residential area, and within walking distance to three primary school and one kindergarten. It's very clear some money changed hands to make certain people look the other way. The "residents" are also not supervised overnight and are free to come and go, and do, whatever they please. It's basically a drug house masquerading as a rehab center.

In the meantime, over the last 3 months, there has been at least 4 burglaries that I know of. Police and ambulances are often in attendance, including to a fist fight in broad daylight in the middle of the street. But of course, none of this has anything to do with the rehab house is it!?

So yes, a drug problem.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2023, 06:44 PM   #2030
hayseed

Quote:
No anti-vibration on that,
I beg to differ, But. It does have anti Vibration..!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2023, 06:48 PM   #2031
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, Mr B put me right on that already.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:42 PM   #2032
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like my grandfathers axe that (supposedly) came from Captain Cooks Endeavour, well its had 4 new handles and 3 new heads but it did come from his ship.

Restore but dont repaint, clean up and clear paint it to protect the patina but please dont repaint.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:15 PM   #2033
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Happy days done this morn my long awaited new Victa in beautiful Ford Blue !!!
Thanks to DFB and all his recommendations for it’s great help matey.
2 of the finest names Victa we all grew up with and the trusty 4stroker Briggsy that I love forever………
Battery power as much as it might suit some I know just like my ryobi blower it just doesn’t last enough as it’s power drains for my large yard till one day they get better but long live ICE 4strokers I know it won’t let me down and keep powering away with the glory being a easy walker !
Can’t wait to use it and not for like our pride and joys when new they look too good to use but has to be - in another week or so till the next cut is due.
Perfect near the Chrissy tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're keeping us in suspense here, how is the new toy?
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 12:35 PM   #2034
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
You're keeping us in suspense here, how is the new toy?
haha - yer ok true having been busy and all.

OK time came pre chrissy for its maiden run getting the yard ready for chrissy day.
Re checked oil level, perfect, filled fuel up.
At 19" it sure is a step above my last mowers added with the self drive makes it that touch heavier as I was rolling down to the nature strip for starters.
I was expecting it to fire up pretty quick but I suppose fuel had to run through the lines - I pulled like 10 times still not fire up.
I was getting puzzled, had a rest hoping that work primed it up.
Though I would press the start lever past start mode, gave it a few more pulls we got ignition !
Let it idle for 10mins - damn quiet engine thats for sure.
So onto its first cuts, nature strip isn't that large but perfect to get to know it.
Again changing direction isn't light and nimble like the old one so obviously change my techniques.
Self drive ? damn it kicks butt, even too quick imo but another I'll get used to it.
Picks up everything very very well, I looked back having finished the nature strip and thought wow that looks perfect !

Next was my next 2 much larger split level areas, first off first time negotiating 2 sets of 3/4 steps of stairs.
I thought this might be a pain BUT no found it very easy, due to the self drive sets the rear wheels further back away from the catcher entry so pulling it up step by step was easy as with no fouling or scratching my new pride and joy.
Yes I have to say its the first time I've felt to avoid scratching my new rolls royce mower lol........
Doing my larger areas was heaven with the self drive, you think why didn't I buy this long before !!! but the need wasn't there pre this property I'm in now and I'm that bit more mature !
The last split level section one part has at least a 35deg grade - I normally tackle this first with the catcher empty keeping weight as low as poss - using the rolls royce and self drive it was a breeze !, even got some wheel spin at times lol.......
Overall the cutting was perfect, need to get used how to handle it better in tighter areas but that comes from use And taking a punt I suspect my cutting time will reduce by 15mins or so thanks to the self drive.
10 out of 10 score from me DFB !
Thank the lord I didn't go battery.
Thanks mate.
(I'll post some pics through tapatalk tonight.)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #2035
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
haha - yer ok true having been busy and all.

OK time came pre chrissy for its maiden run getting the yard ready for chrissy day.
Re checked oil level, perfect, filled fuel up.
At 19" it sure is a step above my last mowers added with the self drive makes it that touch heavier as I was rolling down to the nature strip for starters.
I was expecting it to fire up pretty quick but I suppose fuel had to run through the lines - I pulled like 10 times still not fire up.
I was getting puzzled, had a rest hoping that work primed it up.
Though I would press the start lever past start mode, gave it a few more pulls we got ignition !
Let it idle for 10mins - damn quiet engine thats for sure.

So onto its first cuts, nature strip isn't that large but perfect to get to know it.
Again changing direction isn't light and nimble like the old one so obviously change my techniques.
Self drive ? damn it kicks butt, even too quick imo but another I'll get used to it.

Picks up everything very very well, I looked back having finished the nature strip and thought wow that looks perfect !

Next was my next 2 much larger split level areas, first off first time negotiating 2 sets of 3/4 steps of stairs.
I thought this might be a pain BUT no found it very easy, due to the self drive sets the rear wheels further back away from the catcher entry so pulling it up step by step was easy as with no fouling or scratching my new pride and joy.
Yes I have to say its the first time I've felt to avoid scratching my new rolls royce mower lol........
Doing my larger areas was heaven with the self drive, you think why didn't I buy this long before !!! but the need wasn't there pre this property I'm in now and I'm that bit more mature !
The last split level section one part has at least a 35deg grade - I normally tackle this first with the catcher empty keeping weight as low as poss - using the rolls royce and self drive it was a breeze !, even got some wheel spin at times lol.......
Overall the cutting was perfect, need to get used how to handle it better in tighter areas but that comes from use And taking a punt I suspect my cutting time will reduce by 15mins or so thanks to the self drive.
10 out of 10 score from me DFB !
Thank the lord I didn't go battery.
Thanks mate.
(I'll post some pics through tapatalk tonight.)
This will sound smutty, but that extra inch really makes a difference in the overall time it takes to finish a cut.

These newer Briggs engines have an automatic choke, so no priming or choking needed compared to the older engines, just full throttle and pull the cord. The automatic choke is activated by a thermostat connected to the heat generated by the muffler. And yes, these engines are very hushed, I think the QPT muffler makes a big difference here.

You will get used to the self-propel and how to "drive" it. In particular, how to turn and pivot using the drive system itself. It's too hard for me to put into words, but I can stop, pivot and drive the machine away in one swift action.

And yes, for larger areas, sloped areas or on thick spongy grass, a self-propel mower is bliss.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #2036
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Oops.............

Yes, that's the $25,000 Ferris backed into the lake.........

The best bit? That was the work of the boss and not the hired help.
Mustang GT

Old 06-01-2023, 07:35 PM   #2037
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Cover its under-deck for modesty! It’s showing more undercarriage than is respectable.

I hope it will be a requirement to mow in lifejackets now.

The irony of it going backwards into disaster and being called Ferris!
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #2038
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Cover its under-deck for modesty! It’s showing more undercarriage than is respectable.

I hope it will be a requirement to mow in lifejackets now.

The irony of it going backwards into disaster and being called Ferris!
It had to be winched out of there with the 4wd Hilux.
Mustang GT

Old 06-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #2039
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

“As you leave the mower and enter the water, pull on the tabs to inflate the jacket.”

Waiting for the zero turn build thread, next mods dual batteries with Redarc controller, 8000 pound Warn winch, custom checker plate toolbox to store tree-protector snatch strap.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM   #2040
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have that fear every time I mow the back of the dam.
It's quite steep and even steeper into the water.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: