Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2005, 06:36 AM   #1
falcon91

Default Thank God For Volunteeers!

( I replied to 'Philbies' Thread in The Pub, but thought this topic deserved a new thread, dedicated to our volunteers!) To all in the CFS, I would personally like to thank you devoted individuals who make up a team of dedicated selfless people who assist in our worst nightmare! Thanks a lot!

falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll second that.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
awsome4.0
Banned

Yes thanks guys lets hope you have a quiet year
awsome4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #4
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately I don't think it will be....the forecasts are for very hot and dry conditions...to all the vollies...stay safe.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

looks like the victorian fires are under control- again a great job from the volunteers to have no lives lost and only relatively small property damage.

Good luck to the CFS guys as the NSW fires dont appear to be quite under control yet due to the nasty weather conditions - but again great to see no loss of life despite the threat.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

It's RFS in NSW.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
It's RFS in NSW.

Your a pedantic bugger are'nt you so its RFS in NSW,Its CFA in SA,its CFS in Vic...so what, we all know they are volunteers and no matter what the state name we all know what and who we are talking about.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 01-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Is great to see these selfless people perform beyond the call of duty and put their lives on the line to help others. I sure do appreciate it!!!

:jab:
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Is great to see these selfless people perform beyond the call of duty and put their lives on the line to help others. I sure do appreciate it!!!

:jab:

So RedRum what do you do for a crust.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
It's RFS in NSW.
And I'll bet they have safety triangles. Got the part No KEEPLEFT?

Oh sorry I forgot, lots of thanks to the firefighters no matter what state.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
And I'll bet they have safety triangles. Got the part No KEEPLEFT?

Oh sorry I forgot, lots of thanks to the firefighters no matter what state.
C'mon ... there's no need for personal attacks.
The thread isn't about that.

It's about the thanks that everyone should give to the volunteer firefighters out there risking their lives to save others.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
So RedRum what do you do for a crust.

VicPol Senior Constable
Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
VicPol Senior Constable
AAhhhh the thin blue line...used to play games in the blue shirt myself...was Fire and Rescue am now retired and happy.

Stay safe.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 03-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #14
gtfpv
GT

i'm going to be pessimestic here . many people put lives on the line everyday . but everytime it is a fire fighting situation everyone bows down and calls a fire fighter a hero . not direspectful to the volenteers at all. but cmon most of em do it cause they love it.firefighters are the only people i know who get praised for doing thier job.. but on the other hand be careful guys .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 02:13 AM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i'm going to be pessimestic here . many people put lives on the line everyday . but everytime it is a fire fighting situation everyone bows down and calls a fire fighter a hero . not direspectful to the volenteers at all. but cmon most of em do it cause they love it.firefighters are the only people i know who get praised for doing thier job.. but on the other hand be careful guys .

Hmmm, I have heard that sometimes, this would be very limited to a few nutters, fire fighters have lit fires. You are right, there are all sorts of heroes, but for me growing up in a semi rural town that has been gutted by fires, seeing those mums and dads who for no money rush to put a fire out, I take my hat off to them. Same for the poor buggers at the SES etc. I put my life on the line almost every day that I work, but the Government pays me a wage.... not much of one though : : : : : : : :nutsycuck :nutsycuck :nutsycuck :nutsycuck :nutsycuck :nutsycuck :nutsycuck
Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #16
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
AAhhhh the thin blue line...used to play games in the blue shirt myself...was Fire and Rescue am now retired and happy.

Stay safe.
Was in fire team at Ford, worked as a melt operator aluminium casting and thought I better learn to put out all those fires we kept having. Would like to be a fire fighter but hate heights. Sleeping night shift, people getting out the way of those big trucks and not copping negative feedback 99% of the time would be fantastic!! :evilsasmo
Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #17
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of which, who here is a volunteer in the RFS/CFA/CFS or SES?

I'm a firefighter with one of the Hornsby brigades, and I know that Young'an is in one in my district too.

My brigade was on standby for most of Sunday too, we were not initially responded to Gosford too because we need to keep some resources in our area on the home front - my brigade's district is Ku-Ring-Gai, which includes the Lane Cove and Gurigal valleys.

Anyway, we were still on standby for the southerly gust coming through at 9pm, Sydney Airport were recording wind gusts of up to 116km an hour, the leading edge of the change hit the Gosford fires, causing a fire storm and we were sent up there under lights and siren at about 9:15pm for property protection.

When we arrived we were immediately tasked with property protection of the fire control centre, the fire was heading directly for it at this stage and it wasn't looking very nice, just a bright orange glow, ember attacks etc. Making matters worse was the fact that the control centre had been running helicopters during the day, and air support was still on scene with about 15 barrels of Avatur, as well as a number of parked cars. Luckily a last minute wind change pushed the fire in another direction.

We packed the truck up and were retasked to join a strike force and put in a back burn in an attempt to contain the fire. We did this for about 7 hours.

Got home at 10am yesterday, slept until 6, had dinner, went back to bed!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #18
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Speaking of which, who here is a volunteer in the RFS/CFA/CFS or SES?

I'm a firefighter with one of the Hornsby brigades, and I know that Young'an is in one in my district too.

My brigade was on standby for most of Sunday too, we were not initially responded to Gosford too because we need to keep some resources in our area on the home front - my brigade's district is Ku-Ring-Gai, which includes the Lane Cove and Gurigal valleys.

Anyway, we were still on standby for the southerly gust coming through at 9pm, Sydney Airport were recording wind gusts of up to 116km an hour, the leading edge of the change hit the Gosford fires, causing a fire storm and we were sent up there under lights and siren at about 9:15pm for property protection.

When we arrived we were immediately tasked with property protection of the fire control centre, the fire was heading directly for it at this stage and it wasn't looking very nice, just a bright orange glow, ember attacks etc. Making matters worse was the fact that the control centre had been running helicopters during the day, and air support was still on scene with about 15 barrels of Avatur, as well as a number of parked cars. Luckily a last minute wind change pushed the fire in another direction.

We packed the truck up and were retasked to join a strike force and put in a back burn in an attempt to contain the fire. We did this for about 7 hours.

Got home at 10am yesterday, slept until 6, had dinner, went back to bed!

Sounds like you guys had a busy day too.

I've have been a volunteer in Wagga for almost 9 years now. Our day start at 5am with fire on Willans Hills (big hill in the centre of wagga). At that time it was 30c, very hot for that time of the morning.

We then had a fixed wing water bomb arrive mid morning and placed on standby, we loaded him up just in case.

Then around 1pm the s*** hit the fan!!! The Junee fire started. the first crew on the scene reported that it was running. I knew it was going to be bad, considering the wind speed and the temperature was about 45c by that time. We turned out two crews for the Junee fire, one responded from wagga in the truck and the other crew, including myself run the airbase for the two fixed wing aircraft at the airport in wagga. I got home around 9 that night, helped organise crews for the next day at Junee, got to be about midnight, then got a phone call at 3am. Another grass fire in our brigade area. Our grassland truck was over at Junee leaving our pumper to respond to the grass fire. We had truck come back from Junee to help out. We eventually got home at 9am for some sleep.

Some start to the new year!!

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #19
Valknutr

Im part of the austinmer RFS brigade, havent been to a fire yet we are a "special" unit who can get placed anywhere in NSW (or interstate) if need be. But this season has started with a bang, been 1 semi major fire that closed a few roads and thankfully has cost no lives. So far only 1 person has died he was a volunteer ambulance guy who was helping some people evacuate and had a heart attack.
But now im hoping a southerly comes up with some rains and cool the whole place down and breaks the drought.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valknutr
Im part of the austinmer RFS brigade, havent been to a fire yet we are a "special" unit who can get placed anywhere in NSW (or interstate) if need be.
I would have thought you guys would be villiage down there as well.

Sounds like your brigade mostly does stargs? Hornsby district has about 6 dedicated starg out of area trucks, one of them is our second cat 1.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post